What do you say when asked what the best PC game ever is/was?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by digitalwanderer, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Doomtrooper

Veteran

1. Duke Nukem

2. UT 99

3. Diablo

2. green.pixel

Veteran

They don't need to target AAA/have big budgets by today's standards. I don't get people's obession with every game needing to be like that.

Tribes, for example, could easily be done by a small team. Due to the nature of the game, It would probably require less work than successful independent projects like Red Orchestra or Natural Selection. And Starsiege's modern equivalent is a total modification for Crysis.

#62 green.pixel, Feb 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2011
  3. Ethatron

Regular Subscriber

Uh, so hard to remember this one: Citizen Giant Kabuto. I couldn't come up with a genre definition ... we actually played the multiplayer-mode for months (just me and a friend, it was so much fun).

4. Davros

Legend

It is hard to remember its Giants: Citizen Kabuto ;)
    ps: you should try their next game armed and dangerous

5. SlmDnk

Regular

I thought exactly like this for the longest time. But then, a few years ago, after playing through Gothic 2: Night of the Raven for the second time, it finally occurred to me that this is THE game; at last I can give an answer to the Big Question™

There are tons of amazing games I've played but G2: NOTR is the absolute best.

6. Ethatron

Regular Subscriber

Better I say it wrong than it slips my mind again. :D After I moved avay from germany I haven't seen much of my game-packages to remind me of which were the "really good" games ...

A&D is as awesome as G:CK? I mean not much games are producing _awe_ in one or some other way (maybe for being awefull :) ). G:CK managed for the time of the play always to put something ontop, you think now you understand what's the concept, or the story, or what to expect, and it comes up with something else creating this feeling of a real surprising adventure. You never expect to be able to play Kabuto, you never expect you have to lay egs to create mini-Kabuto minions, and so on (water-race :D ).

Overlord was just a little bit similar wierd and humorous, but then again as a game too serious done. Hard to explain what I mean.

7. Davros

Legend

8. borowki

Newcomer

I disagree with most of the nominations so far. To be consider as truly great, a game must be able to stand the test of time. Think of a great film like Citizen Kane. Seven decades after its release people still see it as a work of genius with few peers. No sane director would think of doing a sequel or remake as the original film is near perfection. To determine whether a game is great we should ask ourselves whether gamers fifty years from now will think that it is great. Just as audiences would reject a 3-D, CGI enhanced, color version of Citizen Kane, we should ask whether they would prefer the game in its present form over any remake created with more advanced technology.

Now take Half Life 2 as an example. It is a very good game, but a decade from now it'll feel incredibly dated. StarCraft is closer to greatness, I think, as its sequel didn't really manage to improve on it despite massive resources.

Above all others, the one game I consider truly great is Braid. It's an artistic and creative triumph. I have no doubt that even fifty years from now people will still admire the sheer brilliance of it.

9. homerdog

homerdog donator of the year
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

I disagree about HL2 not standing the test of time. It is a great piece of narrative with interesting characters in an interesting world. Also great fun to play through, with strategies changing as new challenges arise and new equipment becomes available (cue gravity gun). One of the few single player FPS campaigns where I was never bored.

Braid is incredible, and I wish it were mentioned more often.

Surprised nobody has mentioned any of the old adventure games. Grim Fandango is still freakin hilarious, even if some of the puzzles are slightly disingenuous.

10. snarfbot

Regular Newcomer

eh, look at smb 3. its graphics are terrible by todays standards, but that doesnt prevent it from being every bit as engaging now as it was 20 years ago.

id go as far to say that a video game might survive the test of time better than movies in some cases, theyre always going to be fun to play, while a movie might only be relevant in its time.

11. Davros

Legend

ok which part of best pc game ever dont you understand ?

12. I.S.T.

Veteran

It was an example.

13. neliz

neliz GIGABYTE Man
    Veteran

As the number of hours go for me: Transport Tycoon.

but there are soooo many to name that could fit equally on that number one spot:
    Sensible World of Soccer, X-Wing(versus Tie Fighter), Dune 2 (and 3, also known as C&C), Civilization (up to 4) Hearts of Iron 2. Battlefield xxxx

There's a big reason I still have dosbox and d-fend installed

14. Laa-Yosh

Laa-Yosh I can has custom title?
    Legend Subscriber

X-wing reminds me of very different approaches to difficulty...
    Some of the missions in the campaign were near impossible to do on the first try, because your only way of learning all the timed and ship destruction triggered events was through trial and error. Like, if you kill this enemy ship, that star destroyer will launch a different TIE squad that'll attack your secondary objective, so you want to just damage this certain ship to win enough time to protect the primary objective. You either had to use the overview map and the message log (or was that only added in a later game?), like, every half minute, in order to deduce all this - or find a web page with the detailed descriptions.
    Almost all the missions were full of this stuff, so it was very easy to get stuck several times in the game. I wonder how many people who bought the game have eventually managed to complete it. Nowadays with achievements and such the developers can get better feedback and try to make it sure that a larger percentage of the customers can see the end screen, but this makes most games a bit too easy or linear. AC and ME both practically drive you through and you never really have to think about what to do next, but at least the smaller, tactical situations offer some room for player creativity. I'm hoping the new Deus Ex and Thief games will bring back some of the challenge ;)

15. Entropy

Veteran

We had our PDP-11 driving a monochrome 2-D vector graphics screen (ie, it supported XY-translation, and scaling, but not rotation) so we could play "lunar lander". Woohoo! Interactive graphical gaming! However, the first game I really got into was "Moria" on the DEC VAX 11/780 successor, an ASCII dungeon crawler. I learned to fear capital "D"s enough to startle when I read them in the morning paper after a nightly session of Moria. And those games were the direct progenitors of Diablo which is my nominee as best PC game. Better balanced than its descendant (since it doesn't have to accommodate all those different skill tree builds), and unique in its atmospherics. The difficulty the genre has had to improve on it in spite of all the years passed is a tribute to the strength of its overall design.

So: Diablo

Of course, that's my nominee as the best PC game. The best PC sport would be Quake3. The first game (I know of) that was solely intended for competitive play. It provided a training mode for all the maps where you could hone your skills against bots, and then out you went to play other humans. Skills, skills, skills. Nothing else matters, there are no classes that ensure that everyone has a role and can contribute no matter how much they suck. Fast, totally unforgiving, the better player/team wins, pings allowing. I love it.

Honourable mentions: Starcraft, Civilization 2/3, Morrowwind (added majorly to its Daggerfall predecessor), HOMM3.

16. Laa-Yosh

Laa-Yosh I can has custom title?
    Legend Subscriber

17. borowki

Newcomer

I think you're setting the bar of greatness a bit low. Memorable characters, interesting plot, fun mechanics: these are the requisite elements of any commercially successful game nowadays. Half Life 2 was an epochal games. It set new standards for the genre. The innovations it introduced have found their way into subsequent games though. It's not hard to name a recent game that compares favorably to it. A FPS coming out 10 years from now I'm certain will outclass it completely. Imagine, near photoreastic graphics, completely destructible environment, massively cooperative gameplay, etc...

18. Dr Evil

Dr Evil Anas platyrhynchos
    Legend Veteran

19. borowki

Newcomer

Yes, but is being engaging the same as being "great"? I think people somehow have downgraded the word from its superlative sense to a synonym of "good." There are plenty of good games, just are there're plenty of good movies. The fact that people like them doesn't mean they are all masterpieces.

The criteria I propose for what constitutes a masterpiece is simple: it's so good that you can't improve on it.

In theory. In the present time though, games do suffer more from the ravage of time than films, as the technology for the former hasn't reach a plateau yet. At least that's true with 3-D games. With 2-D gaming there's probably no technical limitations that prevent game designers from fully realizing their visions, so it's possible to make something so good that's it's unsurpassable (e.g. Braid). In 3-D, their imagination is usually constrained by available hardware. Games will outshine their predecessors for no reason than increase in rendering power. The only 3-D game I can think of that can stand the test of time is Portal.

20. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Hmmm, I didn't have those problems with the game. And back then I didn't bother with hint books or FAQs or cheats or any of that stuff. I think there was only one level where I had problems and that was due to not following the mission parameters (a stealth recon mission IIRC).

It is true though that some missions required you to be paying a LOT of attention to what is going on, all while frantically managing shields power, engine power, weapon power, shield strength vectors, etc. And then to react quickly. If you were adept at managing your ships power distribution system on the fly to react to changing conditions most missions weren't all that difficult, assuming fairly quick reactions and good space fighting skills.

I think a lot of people just weren't very good at managing their power systems and thus were too slow to react to changing battlefield conditions. So things like what you mention (knowing what's going to happen ahead of time and preparing for them) greatly reduce the need for on the fly reactions to a changing battlefield.

I'd have to respectfully disagree and go with Unreal Tournament for the best PC "sport." :) But that argument will probably last until the end of time between Q3A players and UT players. I went from competitive Q2 to UT as I found Q3A unsatisfying and weirdly enough it didn't feel as responsive as UT. And I'm sure Starcraft players would respectfully disagree and say SC was the best PC "sport" ever. :D

All a matter of personal opinion. :) Different people, different tastes. Personally I think the original HL was far better than HL2. But both were quite good and both greatly influenced many FPS games that followed.

Ah, my beloved Star Control 2. :) Another one of my best 100+ games ever. :D

Regards,
    SB