What do you do with a Kinect 2?

DrJay24

Veteran
I traded in my old XB1 and now have the X, but the Kinect doesn't work with it. MS discontinued the USB adapter right? Gamestop won't give me $1 for it, so I'm left selling it for next to nothing, doubling down and paying a bunch for an adapter or just put it in the closet. Am I missing an option?

I believe the USB adaptor is still for sale, MS just stopped handing them out for free.
then again, I could be wrong about that. I should get one soon if they discontinued it.

MS stopped making the Xbox One S/X adapter for the Kinect. The cheapest I see them selling for on Amazon is around $55. The MSRP is $40. It's a bit harsh. At one point the prices were reaching $300.

I wish there was a cheaper alternative or an adapter made by PDP or some other third party. What really takes the piss is its essentially just a cabling adapter that merges/splits Power and USB. A working adapter should be $20 tops.

An article on MS discontinuing the adapter (though I think we have a RIP Kinect thread as well): https://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-kills-kinect-adapter-xbox-one-s-xbox-one-x

According to a YT Comment on that video:
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2h5qqs8&s=5
o why not isolate the 12V/3A wires on the original cable and supply it power? According to this you need to attach the power supply to brown and grey wires:

Brown wire: 12V
Gray: GND for 12V
Red: 5V
Black: GND for 5V (USB GND)

Doing this will keep you from having to open up the Kinect. You would only need to buy the power supply since you would be using the original Kinect cable.

But I would be hesitant with having any USB3 wires unshielded because that will introduce a lot of interference.

I think what I seen was somebody bought a powered USB 3.0 hub & that worked. YMMV.

Tommy McClain

I traded in my old XB1 and now have the X, but the Kinect doesn't work with it. MS discontinued the USB adapter right? Gamestop won't give me $1 for it, so I'm left selling it for next to nothing, doubling down and paying a bunch for an adapter or just put it in the closet. Am I missing an option?

Someone from this forum sends his/her kinect v2 to me (thank you!) and I used it on windows for 3d scan and full-body tracking in VR games

Done by soldering a cheap power supply / adapter to the extra USB pinouts, and plug a normal USB 3 printer cable to it

According to a YT Comment on that video:

But I would be hesitant with having any USB3 wires unshielded because that will introduce a lot of interference.
And kinect v2 is very prone to interference. Usb cable too long? Doesn't work. Did not 100% properly plugged to USB port? Won't work.

At least it's like that on windows..

I ordered alternative adapter from eBay for my new XBONEX. £35.00 I've paid and it should ship tomorrow. I need my voice control for TV / Sky / Onkyo. Player recognition is also neat and useful to me. Other than that I don't play any Kinect games ...

BTW is there an USB mic XBOX can use to voice activate apart from headset? I would like to turn on/off box using voice as with Kinect in case my Kinect is dying (some symptoms I'm investigating by buying new XBOX ONE X, or at least that was my excuse to upgrade ...)

BTW is there an USB mic XBOX can use to voice activate apart from headset? I would like to turn on/off box using voice as with Kinect in case my Kinect is dying (some symptoms I'm investigating by buying new XBOX ONE X, or at least that was my excuse to upgrade ...)

I think they are going to let Alexa ang Google assistant work with the Xbox

That was in a beta dash

xbox_digital_assistants_alexa_google.jpg

I broke down and picked the adapter up from eBay for $36. Works great, but adds a lot of messy cables. So I'm back to Cortana ignoring or misunderstanding me and having a camera for Just Dance!

Thanks for the info and pointers.

Cortana on Xbox One is such horrible trash, like 98% of the time.

"Hey Cortana"
<cortana signals its listening>
"Go to netflix"
<would you like me to search for Netflix? (And ignore the Netflix tile in recent launched list and the Pinned tile in Media Group and the app in the My Apps installed)>
"No, you fucking worthless piece of shit, launch the App right there."

Cortana on Xbox One is such horrible trash, like 98% of the time.

"Hey Cortana"
<cortana signals its listening>
"Go to netflix"
<would you like me to search for Netflix? (And ignore the Netflix tile in recent launched list and the Pinned tile in Media Group and the app in the My Apps installed)>
"No, you fucking worthless piece of shit, launch the App right there."

Cortana: Twelve pairs of cowboy boots ordered.

The PS4's is worse. I've got the camera hooked up for VR, so it'll just randomly indicate that it's listening, but never when I say "okay PlayStation."

Back