What do racing games lack that give a real speed feeling?

fehu

Veteran
Look the very cool video below, and keep in mind that the speed is in km/h.
I have even better video but on facebook.
I watched it mesmerized by the speed, and it's only a 30fps video on youtube, so why any games at 60fps give me the same sensation?

- Wide horizontal and vertical FOV
- Trees and | or mountains (sense of volume)
- Absence of overused motion blur (you can really see things moving past you, not just some 24fps cinematic illusion of speed).

IMO

yep you get the same effect if you look out of the window of a plane, and you can see the city below
you appear to be moving really slow even though your at a couple of hundred mph

Yeah, of course he's driving near the street's borders, but even in similar tracks I have not the same impressions on consoles or pc.
The other video (that can't find on youtube) is even better. Wider street and faster sensation, and I mean "Speed Racer" level.

I already find some later stages of Driveclub almost impossible to race through. How the heck would I play a game like this?

The lower to the ground you are, the faster it feels like you're going. Racing games where you perpetually hover above and behind your car give poor sense of speed. Also as Global mentions, wide field of view. Our monitors are total fail here, because they don't cover our peripheral vision (which is adept at detecting speed); the stationary room around us makes us feel grounded.

There are also many vibrations in that video that we dont see much in games. Gran Turismo actually gave me a similar sensation in narrow corridors while driving the X2010 in cockpit camera. The camera shakes a lot in high speeds.
When the cockpit looks like a steady object regardless of the moving terrain and the environment just moves around you, there is no true sensation of moving. The car and the environment are like two separate independent planes

Last edited:
I think Driveclub does this as best as possible right now:

Another example is this

Nice use of motion blur + excellent camera movement gives the feeling of actually going fast imo.

Last edited:
I really wish more driving games would play around with less 'realistic' parameters in their driving model to make a more exciting sensation of driving a performance car fast. You need *something* to make up for the loss of physical forces. I think there's a reason most serious racing games focus on raucous, stripped out race cars and not so much on lower powered road cars. Driveclub does an excellent job at capturing this feeling. Not many games can make a 200bhp hot hatch feel as exciting.

It is interesting that nobody said VR yet, not that I think it would do the trick but I think it goes on showing that VR (at least in this form) may not the next big thing for gaming ome want it to be. /OTish but not completely ;)

Lack of G-Force is the number one thing, but from a purely visual standpoint comparing to the posted video, then yeah, this is corridor racing and that feels fast in games too. Citta di Aria in GT4 did a great job conveying that feeling. Here's a slightly exaggerated example (because the F1 car has had Turbo upgrades)

It is interesting that nobody said VR yet, not that I think it would do the trick but I think it goes on showing that VR (at least in this form) may not the next big thing for gaming ome want it to be. /OTish but not completely ;)

The problem with current VR helmets is the limited FOV.

I think it is:
1 - a framerate beyond the 60FPS max we see in most console/PC/monitor/TV setups
2 - a screen/headset that covers a larger part of our peripheral vision (FOV)

Our peripheral vision is capable of discerning above 60FPS, especially when adrenaline and/or stress kick in.

As for that F1 video, IMO it gives a bigger speed sensation because the camera trembles up and down a lot, so the movement becomes less "predictable".

There are tunnel racers that give a sense of speed eg: ballistix or wipeout or even starwars ep 1 racer

Wipeout actually feels rather sedate if you're not racing on rapier or phantom speed class settings. The tracks are incredibly wide for the most part. It's just that at a thousand km/h, everything starts to feel like you're threading a needle.

Driveclub feels fast as hell, even at lower speed classes. And If you're doing a rolling start in a hyper car, it's like "fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu" right away. Just a clever combination of camera shakes, narrow tracks with lots of detail flying by left and right, rain drops flying towards the screen, inconvenient lighting conditions, a very good motion blur implementation, etc. There's always a lot of on-screen motion in driveclub

I have to agree with Arwin here. Your most important sense in terms of speed and acceleration is actually your butt, and I'm not kidding here.

And yeah the FOV also matters, most of these driving videos are captured with GoPro cameras and they have a very large field of view. But it's not practical for actually driving the thing, distant objects and scenery appear to be even further out and that reduces your reaction time significantly. Also, when you're actually at the wheel, your brain kinda gets into tunnel vision mode and focuses on a narrow part of your sight.

There are some racing games that have time compression using that ups the sense of speed
not sure of what console games would have that the e.a f1 series I think
I use it on flight sims because flying at 1500 mph should feel really fast but it doesnt

I have to agree with those who say Drvieclub has sometimes great sense of speed. The more I notice the sense of speed, the better I drive because I break more correctly. Sometimes when the sense of speed is not there, I feel like I'm on oiled ice on top of teflon surface. Interestingly enough, it's about the same in arcede racers, simcades and sims. Even in game like GTA 5 Online, when you don't see speed gauge (unless you drive in first person view), you break correctly when you "feel" that you're moving at certain rate.

Back