What core is the mobile Dual Pentium T2330 based on?

sir doris

Regular
Hi,

A friend has a Dell 1720 with a Pentium Dual Core T2330 CPU, which runs at 1.6GHz.

Does anyone know which core this is based on?

The T2300 and T2350 are Core Duo (Yohan?) cores, which I think are derived from the Petium M.

A number of laptops are advertised with the T2330 as Core Duo, while other manufacturers list the T2330 as a Mobile Pentium Dual Core.

Intels own website lists this as an Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core Mobile Processor.

Surely this isn't based on the Pentium 4 as it's only running at 1.6GHz? Is it based on a Pentium M? Or something else?

It only has 1MB of cache compared with the Pentium M's 2MB, could it be a dual core Celeron?

Cheers :)

My guess is that's a Conroe-L (2xConroe cores but only 1MiB shared cache). FWIW, That's a <=90mm² chip, smaller even than the ~110mm² Allendale, compared to the ~140mm² Conroe. I'm not completely sure though so hopefully someone will be able to confirm that.

An old news piece of mine that mentionned Conroe/Merom-L: http://www.beyond3d.com/content/news/175 (I've heard some claims that there *is* a single-core Conroe-based die since then though, and if the T2330 is indeed based on Merom-L then obviously neither core was disabled in this SKU!)

And grats on inaugurating the forum! ;)

My guess is that's a Conroe-L (2xConroe cores but only 1MiB shared cache). FWIW, That's a <=90mm² chip, smaller even than the ~110mm² Allendale, compared to the ~140mm² Conroe. I'm not completely sure though so hopefully someone will be able to confirm that.

An old news piece of mine that mentionned Conroe/Merom-L: http://www.beyond3d.com/content/news/175 (I've heard some claims that there *is* a single-core Conroe-based die since then though, and if the T2330 is indeed based on Merom-L then obviously neither core was disabled in this SKU!)

And grats on inaugurating the forum! ;)

The T2330 is based on the M0 stepping of the reduced cache Merom, same as the T5xx0 parts. It is natively 2MiB L2 cache, with 1MiB disabled.

Conroe-L is a desktop SKU used by the Celeron 4x0 series parts, Merom-L is its mobile equivilant used by the Celeron M 5x0s.

Surely this isn't based on the Pentium 4 as it's only running at 1.6GHz? Is it based on a Pentium M? Or something else?

It only has 1MB of cache compared with the Pentium M's 2MB, could it be a dual core Celeron?

It is fully Core microarchitecture based, it is to the Core 2 Duo what the P4 generation Celerons were to the full fat Pentium 4's - lop off some of the cache, keep the FSB low and disable some features (eg. VT, TXT).

Desktop dual-core Celerons have already been released (spec) with 512KiB L2 cache but otherwise the same as the Pentium Dual Core chips, including the use of the Allendale core. Conroe-L appears to be purely single core but with 1MiB L2 cache on-die even if only 512KiB is enabled.

Basically Pentium Dual Core is used as a stepping brand, Core 2 Quad/Duo > Pentium Dual Core > Celeron, the underlying architecture and even some of the cores they are built on are the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope, I find it interesting too :)

I'll try and get some pics of Merom-L, Merom-2M and Merom-4M as I know Arun would be interested.

I'll try and get some pics of Merom-L, Merom-2M and Merom-4M as I know Arun would be interested.
Indeed - so Merom-L is single-core-only? I was under the impression there was a dual-core/1MiB version of Conroe/Merom. Guess that's wrong...
And get the hell out of here Davros if you don't like it! ;) jk

Indeed - so Merom-L is single-core-only? I was under the impression there was a dual-core/1MiB version of Conroe/Merom. Guess that's wrong...

As far as I'm aware the Merom-L and Conroe-L are only used for the Celeron, the dual-core Celeron is listed on Processor Finder as being an M0 stepping which matches the 2MiB Merom/Allendale chips, as opposed to the A1 of the single core parts.

I don't know of any native 1MiB dual-core part, but the Celeron M 5x0 parts have 1MiB L2 cache and use the smaller die.

attachment.php

The top row here shows the T9300 (Penryn), T8300 (Penryn-3M).
The second row is the X7900 (Merom), T5750 (Merom-2M) and Celeron M 550 (Merom-L).

The Merom-L is the same width as the Merom-2M but roughly half the height (it might be a little more, but that could be accounted for in logic that would otherwise be shared by the cores), suggesting it is natively single core and 1MiB L2 cache, with desktop parts only using 512KiB.

(Apologies for the poor quality picture, I love my phone but it makes a crap camera ;))

Attachments

• mobile.jpg
    mobile.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 50
Last edited by a moderator:
Back