What board has the best TV out.

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by metallinikil, Jan 18, 2004.

1. metallinikil

Newcomer

What board has the best TV out meaning what looks the best on an old school tv(non HD).

2. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

From my personal experience it's gotta be the 32Mb Rage Fury (non-Pro), the card is STILL the golden standard for me with TV-out quality. :) (Although both the 9600 & 9700 Pro I got both have about the same quality, I just can't disable macrovision with a driver tweak like I can on me faithful old Fury. ;) )

I've never had a good experience with nVidia's tv-out unless I used TVtool, and even then the quality just wasn't as good as ATi's.

3. Hyp-X

Hyp-X Irregular
    Veteran

I got the best TV out quality with a Matrox G450 DH.

4. keegdsb

Newcomer

The G400 was even better. On the G450 and later they moved to an on-die TV controller, which was never quite as good as the G400's external TV chip.

5. metallinikil

Newcomer

hwo about something more mainstream...ATi, Nvidia, or even S3...

6. keegdsb

Newcomer

Are you looking for a current board with more 3D capabilities or what? It's not hard to find cheap G400s now, and even it its current state Matrox is more mainstream than S3, of all companies.

7. kmolazz

Newcomer

I have 2 ATI cards at home, an Hercules 8500 and Saphire 9500... and the 8500 has a noticeable better picture than the 9500. I've also seen movies with a GF4 tvout and it does look worse than the ATI ones.

8. Snyder

Regular

From my experience with TVouts, the original Radeon has the best quality I know of. Better than 8500 and 9x00, and better than several GF solutions I've seen. I haven't experienced a Matrox TVOut, so I can't compare with that.

9. Ali

Ali
    Newcomer

Used the following, and listed in order of quality (best at top):
    Matrox G400
    Gigabyte 9700Pro
    Dell Geforce2Go

With a BIG gap between the 9700 and the Geforce2Go. Only slight difference between the G400 and 9700.

Ali

10. Miksu

Regular

Sorry for using this old thread but it's topic goes nicely with my question.

I've been searching for information about the tv-outs in today's graphics cards but for some reason, haven't found anything. This really seems to be a subject that is touched rarely. I cycled through B3D's and even THG's reviews and didn't find anything.

So, could anyone point into a right direction so that I could find something real info about the subject? Comparison with a subject like "We show you who has the best tv-out today. Read everything from here!" would be nice :)

11. vb

vb
    Regular

Sorry, no TV out shoot-outs that i know of.

But digit-life had nice and in depth coverage.