what are your top 3 favorite games?

AW0L

Newcomer
i just want to see what everyones prefrence of games on this forum are?

me

1. millitary madness
2.galactic civilizations
3. beyond overlord road to berlin

That's pretty hard =/

Within the last five years, the most memorable ones for me were probably:

1. Ico
2. MGS3
3. SotC

I wouldn't feel bad saying those were my favorites... but I could list like 20 more that could also be considered my favorite (ordering seems to be the hardest part... giving a list of my favorites in no particular order wouldn't be too difficult).

All mine are games that I like the most because of mulitplayer. Single player games would be a different list but I have played these games more than any others by far

1) Perfect Dark N64
2) Half-Life 2 ( basically because CS:Source although the game was good)
3) UT 2004

1) Halo 1 (Great single player)
2) Halo 2 (Awesome multiplayer - not so great single player)
3) Half-Life 2 (Pretty obvious :p)

This kind of thread is pointless and doesn't solve anything...thats why I love participating in them.:D When I sober up I'll probably remember a few more games.

Probably My three favorite games of the last 5 years:

NES
1) SMB 3
2) CONTRA
3) MEGA MAN 2

SNES
1) SUPER MARIO WORLD
2) CHRONO TRIGGER
3) ZELDA: LINK TO THE PAST

GENESIS
1) SHINOBI 3
2) SONIC 2
3) SONIC & KNUCKLES

PS1
1) MGS
2) CHRONO CROSS
3) FF9

N64
1) ZELDA: MAJORAS MASK
2) ZELDA: OCARINA OF TIME
3) MARIO KART 64

PS2
1) MGS 2
2) DRAGON QUEST 8
3) SHADOW OF THE COLOSSUS

CUBE
1) ZELDA: WIND WAKER (TWILIGHT PRINCESS pending)
2) RE4
3) METRIOD PRIME

PC
1) WOLFENSTEIN (original)
2) HALF LIFE 2
3) COMMAND AND CONQUER (SERIES)

Probably My favorite games of all time:

1)Super Mario World
2)Chrono Trigger
3)Metal Gear Solid

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Day of the Tentacle
2. BG2/SoA
3. FreeSpace 2

Granted, I have played several games that are, in many ways, 'better' than these, but the three listed are the games that, as far as I can remember, I had the best time playing at the time I played them in terms og the overall experience and how they stuck with me.

Edit: All PC games, I know. The best console experiences I have had is a PS1 racer (which I cant for the like of me remember the name of) and KoTR.

street fighter II Turbo - snes
Sega Rally - saturn
halo 1 - xbox

god damn, they were good days !!

some other classics just for fun.

F355 - dreamcast
mario kart - snes
wonderboy - Commodor 64

1. Silent Hill 2
2. Final Fantasy VIII
3. Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver

The third one was a hard choice, as Shadow of Memories, Resident Evil 2, Final Fantasy X, UT2003 and the first SSX are my all-time favorite games as well.

1. Mario Kart (SNES)
2. Battlefield 1942 (PC)
3. GoldenEye 007 (N64, tie)
3. Frontpage Sports Football Pro (PC, tie)
3. Battlezone (PC, tie)

Hard list. Bad me, ties at the end :oops: But I decided to define them by "favorite at the time" on a rolling scale based on time played * enjoyment. Those games have all been exceeded in terms of quality, but for their time they absolutely rocked (even though each was terminally flawed by today's standards). Special mention to Conker's Bad Fur Day, WCW & WWF Asmik games, SMB3, Madden & NCAA, Gran Tourisimo, Mario Party, Worms, MoO, Reach for the Stars, Spaceward Ho!, Street Fighter 2, and Starflight. Interestingly the above list may not be the "best" games I have ever played (Mario 64 and Zelda Ocarina of Time are easily at the top of that list). Great games, just not my top favorites. Loved them, a lot of fun, just not my style (note the running theme of MP games, even way back on the 286 and SNES). My modern list of "my best" favorite games would be something disgruntled, like:

1. Half-Life 2 & Counterstrike (polish, innovation, evolution, quality, and longevity--everything good about modern games IMO and barely missed my top list above)
2. Madden (evolving slowly, and a ton of issues left bare... but only/best football game on market and years of development show with solid base of polish, if not lacklust development of late cannot undo the years of incrimental evolution and features)
3. Battlefield 2 (great concept, quality core, bugs, lack of support and timely followthrough, poor dev-community relations, movement toward managed servers, and some unbalanced issues plus originally horrific online filter for a MP game, plus late coop support, leave a bad taste in what is really a great game--and could have been even better with more focus/attention)
3. Mario Kart Double Dash!! (Great core, a tad too slow and some issues--no online support, no 4 player GP in single karts, limited to 8 karts, no hop, and the continued digression away from pure racing skill, needs another Cup and some more unique tracks and custom Cup where you choose the tracks--but overall a polished game with fun coop and by far the best looking and playing kart game on modern consoles)

All but the first are examples of good games, but bear signs of some of the more annoying "features" and developments of modern gaming. Hence they were unable to crack my top 3 (err 5).

Not in any order, I'd say

Champions of Norrath
Star Control
Master of Orion

These are standout titles for replayability, and for me that's what makes a favourite title for me. There may be other experiences better in some way or other, but it's the gameplay that counts and these few kept me playing more and more.

1. Gran Turismo Series, if I pick one it will be GT3.
2. Final Fantasy Series, if I pick one it is VIII.
3. Ace Combat 4: Shattered Skies

1: Zone of the Enders 2
2: Scud Racer/SuperGT 4 player setup OR Daytona USA 8 player
3: XCom

I cheated on number 2. So sorry. Given the chance I'll take Super GT- but its so rare. :.(

EDIT: I didn't mention any fighting games because I consider them a seperate hobby. But the top three are:

1: Third Strike
2: VF4 Evo
3: SSF2T

1. Diablo 2 (My love for this game is irrational and defies logic)
2. GTA3:Vice City (If I had to pick just one)
3. Half Life1 (Including mods like CS. If it was not for mods, DeusEx would be here for best FPS, and BF1942 could easily slide in here as well)

And just because the top 3 you could argue are all PC games, I'll round it out with:

4. Zelda64: OOT
5. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time.
6. ChronoTrigger

Last edited by a moderator:
Back