What are you playing now? [2022]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently started replaying possibly the greatest game ever created. Star Control 2.

If it's not the best game ever made, IMO, it's certainly in the Top 3 best games ever made, IMO. Also, it has by far the best dialog ever written for a game. Modern dialog writers should be required to play this game, IMO.

The game is free and can be found by looking up The Ur-Quan Masters. The game is almost 30 years old now and it's still incredibly fun. I can't even think of a AAA game that I've played in the past 10-20 years that's even remotely as good as this game is.

You can see its influence on games like Mass Effect (which is but a pale shadow of SC2 WRT story, dialog and setting, IMO).

Regards,
SB

fall guys.

felt like a highly polished tech demo or a mini game that was supposed to be a part of a larger game.

Currently started replaying possibly the greatest game ever created. Star Control 2.

If it's not the best game ever made, IMO, it's certainly in the Top 3 best games ever made, IMO. Also, it has by far the best dialog ever written for a game. Modern dialog writers should be required to play this game, IMO.

The game is free and can be found by looking up The Ur-Quan Masters. The game is almost 30 years old now and it's still incredibly fun. I can't even think of a AAA game that I've played in the past 10-20 years that's even remotely as good as this game is.

You can see its influence on games like Mass Effect (which is but a pale shadow of SC2 WRT story, dialog and setting, IMO).

Regards,
SB
Certainly one of the greatest games.

It really shows how seemingly simple parts or minigames can make complex well working whole.

In a way I do miss game design which by it's limitations and making whole from pieces make fast fluid experiences.

Old Final Fantasies, SSIs gold box series, Front Mission etc.
All had very distinct combat screens, exploration etc.
It allowed designers to make each part as good as they could without limitations of each restrict other parts.

On PC, I started Atom RPG. I missed a story heavy game, so I bought it + the sequel during the Steam sales. Played a few hours already, pretty happy for now.
I finished it, reaaalllly good.

I started the sequel, you can import your save from the first one, which I love. Only "problem" with the sequel is that they pushed the unity engine too far. The game is more detailled, but sometimes the gpu is doing nothing and you have juste 1 thread working full time on the cpu. Not the first time I see this on this engine. Same behaviour dx11 or dx12. And even Vulkan with dxvk.

I have just started Stray, which I didn't know was included in my PS+ subscription, which I didn't realise was converted to the mid-level option, even though I'm not seemingly paying for it.

So thanks to Sony for that freebie, And yes, Stray is fabulous! ❤️ It's not doing anything radically new gameplay-wise, but it feels great to play and the presentation and art are both excellent.

I have just started Stray, which I didn't know was included in my PS+ subscription, which I didn't realise was converted to the mid-level option, even though I'm not seemingly paying for it.
It seems to be available only for Premium and Extra subscriptions. Didn't you accidentally enable a free month trial? Just asking before trying the game myself as I'm PS+ only too; I will buy it anyway I can't resist a cat game :)

It seems to be available only for Premium and Extra subscriptions. Didn't you accidentally enable a free month trial? Just asking before trying the game myself as I'm PS+ only too; I will buy it anyway I can't resist a cat game :)
Nah, I didn't do anything with my subscription - including reading the emails from Sony. Which I probably should in retrospect! My 14-15 months of PS+ subscription has converted to the Extra Tier. I've created a calendar reminder to review it before the subscription renews next year.

Previously I would just top up my sub when a cheap offer presented itself. That's probably become more complicated with three tiers.

Any game with a button dedicated to meowing is awesome! :yes:

So I bought a new house in February and the process of moving and then getting my new house up to snuff has taken about 5 months, during which I barely gamed. I haven't games at all from May to July.

All that is about to change as my LG C1 is going back on the wall at my new house today. I'm hoping to finish Guardians of the Galaxy and Tunic in August.

Playing xenoblade chronicles 3. The graphic mods is a blessing and a curse. It made the visuals better but now I can't stop myself from fiddling with it again and again ROFL

got the covid the other day, so my family sort of just left the house and left me at home. So I just wrapped up God of War, trying to blaze though TLOU R now. I'm getting close to 1/2 done I think.

It's been a while since i posted here so what have i been playing
WatchDogs Legion - fun game but gets repetative, got aout 75% through it but then i got a copy of God of War (which i thought was outstanding) so bye bye WatchDogs.
God of War - See above
Elden Ring - not really a fan of souls like games but I enjoyed this to a point, after a while I found myself not sure where to go or what to do next so sort of lost interest.
Shadow Warrior 3 - very Doom like or more accurately Doom is very Shadow Warrior like quite fun, didnt enjoy it as much as Shadow Warrior 2.
Immortals Fenyx Rising - Ok I suppose, fun story, fun combat, puzzles tedious. Obviously inspired by Zelda and being an Ubisoft game the amount of filler is insane.

Ubi you are taking the piss...
1659583911231.png

Metal Gear Rising Revengeance - Crap....
Necromunda Hired Gun - Doom Eternal made by people who have a lot less talent.
Ghostwire Tokyo - Really enjoyed this good story lots of fun there is a fair bit of repitition and it has the worst chromatic aberation since syndicate
Bright Memory Infinite - Shadow Warrior without the fun
Titanfall 2 - enoyed this but hate platforming in a shooter - designers do you ever think to yourself what happens if the player cant make a jump - answer no you dont there was one jump i just couldnt make thankfully I found a trainer that gave me unlimited double jumps and I could finish the game

Certainly one of the greatest games.

It really shows how seemingly simple parts or minigames can make complex well working whole.

In a way I do miss game design which by it's limitations and making whole from pieces make fast fluid experiences.

Old Final Fantasies, SSIs gold box series, Front Mission etc.
All had very distinct combat screens, exploration etc.
It allowed designers to make each part as good as they could without limitations of each restrict other parts.
It was definitely a time when game design was truly a blank canvass. Now games are so formulaic in their design. Design today is smarter more thought out; but has fallen trap to very little variability. There is significantly more design innovations happening in other industries like board games. It’s a real shame video games aren’t able to return to form here. Costs too much and returns too little.

I realized I never played through the last Tomb Raider game "Shadow of the Tomb Raider" so I played that. It was pretty meh, I hated the character design on Lara and I couldn't figure out how we could be hanging upside down on a rock surface and somehow jump to the next one. I kind of figure if you jump in that situation the whole gravity thing would kick in and you'd plunge to your death. It didn't wow me, but I finished it.

Started Assassin's Creed Valhalla a few days ago since I never played that either, and gods is it boring as hell at times! I'm so tired of wandering the landscape for 20 minutes to get to a new fast travel point! Also not enough time out of the animus, but that's a running complaint with the new trilogy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back