What are you playing now? [2007-2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heh, two years later and people are still busy with modding the game into something worth playing. Which tells us a lot about what a fucking mess vanilla Oblivion is.

Anyway, back on topic:

Currently playing Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War. I recently picked up the base game + 2 expansion for €29. I'm loving it so far despite the fact that I had gotten seriously bored with RTS games 4 or so years ago. Graphics kinda suck by today's standards and it took me a while to get AA working (had to force Splinter Cell compatibility mode in nHancer) but gameplay is fun.

How the hell could you stand that? Walking in Oblivion was stupidly slow, and running in the up right position wasn't even that fast. Let alone sneaking and then the sneak run. :oops:

i didn't know any better. and besides i was trying to enjoy every drop of the scenery those first few levels. so much stuff along the way to distract me, i was in no hurry.

i've recently (after my splinter cell 1 game got stuck in slo mo for some reason...just after i updated drivers for GOW i suspect) re-installed James Bond: Nightfire (last play 5/21/2006 apparently). and Halo1...these games still have that 'thing' for me. love the views. just lots of little things.

Hellgate London. Maybe it was the beer but I was having a lot of fun playing through the first 6 hours or so of the game yesterday.

i've recently (after my splinter cell 1 game got stuck in slo mo for some reason...just after i updated drivers for GOW i suspect) re-installed James Bond: Nightfire (last play 5/21/2006 apparently). and Halo1...these games still have that 'thing' for me. love the views. just lots of little things.

What's Nightfire like? A friend gave me his copy of it a while back, but I never got around to installing & playing it. I recall one of the earlier Bond FPS's was tragically average, and it filled me with doubt about Nightfire.

Currently playing:

Runaway 2 - Dream of the turtle
Mass Effect
Warcraft 3

Then after that:

Perfect Dark
Finish Stalker.

What's Nightfire like? A friend gave me his copy of it a while back, but I never got around to installing & playing it. I recall one of the earlier Bond FPS's was tragically average, and it filled me with doubt about Nightfire.

i rank it right up there with NOLF's, HL1, Halo, SOF1&2, Max paynes, GTA's (ie among my favorites).

i haven't played any other bond game (heard they weren't good)

this one has nice atmosphere, variety of locales (snow to tropic to urban office tower...even outer space)

for some reason they didn't get good reviews. i think pc gamer gave it like a 60% ish score.

So I decided to put my 360 to use last night, and decide to rent Assassin's Creed. First and foremost, I have to say I hope every movie store sinks into obscurity at the prices they dare charge you to rent a game. I spent eleven bucks renting one game. And I only have it for five days. Not to mention when I got home and popped it in my Xbox, it was having trouble reading it. Because apparently the person who rented it before me decided to play frisbee with it. How are these people even in business with companies like Netflix and Gamefly as their competition?

Personal movie store gripes aside, AC is phenomenal. One thing that completely surprised me was how open the environment is. I envisioned yourself starting at the beginning of each map. But no, you actually have to travel to your destinations via the usage of a horse, ala "The Twilight Princess," and countless games I probably neglected to mention. The combat is pretty well executed, but I felt once you learned how to counter, it sort of put it on easy mode. You can literally one shot almost anyone. Juggling maintaining a low profile with attempting to successfully off someone in broad daylight, in public , then attempt to vanish completely is a task. Which I enjoy. Environmental maipulation is impressive. Altaire is a gymnist of epic proportions. It never ceases to entertain me when being chased by a train of guards, only to have them follow you to a rooftop. Only to be shoved off the ledge.

My biggest complaint about the game is the entire Science Fiction aspect, where it revolves around the central character's mind being tapped into through the use of technology utilized by an "evil corporation." It would have been better served as a period piece, instead of reaching the height of tension, only to have it withdraw from the gameplay entirely so the main character can take a friggin' nap.

Anyway, AC is a solid game, with very little to detract from the game's sense of fun. I recommend it to anyone who wants a nice mix of the PoP series with a dash of "Twilight Princess," only geared more towards adults ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure, but as a purchase of the game? I'm not sure, the little I've played on a 360 and what I've been told by reviews and friends doesn't give me high hopes for the game being worth $50.

Sure, but as a purchase of the game? I'm not sure, the little I've played on a 360 and what I've been told by reviews and friends doesn't give me high hopes for the game being worth $50.

Its $60, and that probably isn't any more of a deal breaker. I do enjoy it enough to purchase it, on PC. Which was why I rented it in the first place. I wanted to see if I enjoyed the gameplay enough to buy it on a platform I'm more accustomed to. And I do. My main concern, which I voiced in a previous thread, is the controls, and having played it now, has solidified my fear. Even with a 360 controller movement is awkward. I fell off countless platforms attempting to get used to the control scheme.

Anyway, AC is a solid game, with very little to detract from the game's sense of fun. I recommend it to anyone who wants a nice mix of the PoP series with a dash of "Twilight Princess," only geared more towards adults ;)

I don't think there isn't anything really "adult" about modern day Knights Templar hacking your brains for clues to where one might find the Holy Grail or whatever for mass hypnosis. And alot of this "older gaming" comparison is immature in itself.

I felt the game wasted alot of gameplay opportunities here and there, as if they thrown the high and low profile actions just for giggles as you can keep killing guards via counterattack and running with little to no consequence (after, of course, sitting on a bench or just outrunning them). The game has little sense of stigmatizing you for cheap exploits and feels far too unbalanced.

I've been playing Conquest:Frontier Wars, love the whole supply line mechanic & building in orbit rather than on the surface.

Finishing Stalker now, but I'm having a hard way to find cover for the blow out and can't reache the entrance yet in 5 minutes. I'm playing with mods and it's night and way to dark :D

I play some UT3 and Oblivion with mods (Quarl3) too.

After this COD4 is the next one and I have Timeshift, The Witcher, Gothic3, Blacksite, Crysis, Hellgate, Dreamfall, Two Worlds, Hitman BM, Alpha Prime, Fable, COJ, SplintercellDA en Infernal ready. I just need an extra life :D

Just finished indigo prophecy and COD4.

Currently?

On my lappy, Beyond Good & Evil.

On the 360, Flatout Ultimate Carnage :yes: :yes: :mrgreen:

Broken Sword 1 and Stalker aswell as some fleshy CoH rounds.

After this COD4 is the next one and I have Timeshift, The Witcher, Gothic3, Blacksite, Crysis, Hellgate, Dreamfall, Two Worlds, Hitman BM, Alpha Prime, Fable, COJ, splintercellDA en Infernal ready. I just need an extra life :D

Keep some painkillers near you... they will come handy with that game... :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back