What are you playing now? [2007-2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm doing this stupid game called "WORK" and I'm really starting to fucking hate it. :(

In the odd spare moments I have recently beat the new Tomb Raider. Ran great for me max everything, but I turned off tressFX after a while because I found it annoying/distracting. Also I'm sort of wondering why no one seems to have made fun of it for being "Hunger Games meets Tomb Raider starring Jennifer Lawrence", but I figure that gives me a bit of a fun angle to write it up from if I ever get TWO free moments. :rolleyes:

I MISS EVERYONE SO FUCKING MUCH, BIG HUGS ALL!!!!

Just Cause 2 - looks amazing in 3D but man the story sucks!

It's either a poor satire of american action movies or somebody's racist action movie wannabe plot.

Seriously, rendering the chinese guy in that one mission using old stereotypes and looking like a demon/inhuman... So fucking racist oh my god.

Plus the line "All true americans hate commies"(Paraphrased) was offensive as hell towards americans too.

That whole fucking mission soured me on the game. It was a pain in the ass(Easy but pain in the ass) and offensive as fuck in a dumb as hell way.

...sounds just like the original then. totally boring to the extent of being slightly offensive to follow the plot, but really fun to buy for like $5 a year later, to just fly around and blow shit up..

finally got around to some gaming lately... finished Sleepy Dogs (short and a little shallow but still awesome) and WRC FIA 2 (yes i am behind the times! it was FARGIN awesome racing although the managment aspects were way too simplistic to be worth pretending) and just started on Startopia (at the recommendation of a Destructoid article on city sims to play in lieu of SC). No real earth-shattering revelations in that bunch but... OH i finally got around to picking up Forza 4! On first glance, not much of an improvement over FM3 (and I dont really like the GT thing of free cars for finishing races... if you're not shopping for cars to pimp, what's the point?), but it is pretty amazing to look at. FM haters... wow, don't embarrass yourselves, the gameplay, fine, love it or hate it, but the graphics... wow. That said I'd trade it all in a heartbeat for a proper classic car selection with a modern suspension engine. I don't get why anyone would want to race a Veyron with racing stripes, when they could lower and blow an old woodie wagon and race that... the promise of GT1 still has yet to materialize imho.

It took me probably 12 hours to finish Tomb Raider. It was great while it lasted, but leaves something to be desired due to it's short length. It also needs some serious optimization on Nvidia's end to make the game fully enjoyable, due to the sporadic frame rate dips.

So, I started playing Torchlight 2 a lot the past few days. I dabbled with the multiplayer and it's awesome. But I was craving something with a little more longevity, so I went out and bought Borderlands 2. I'm gonna give that a shot tonight. I had the first one at one point, but it disappeared off my library of games in Steam. They had a sale some time ago and I bought it with all of it's DLC. I'm really bummed that it's gone, this is the first instance where something like this has happened to me. I even contacted customer support, today, and I'm hoping they can resolve this. This is partially why I swear by boxed copies.

This is partially why I swear by boxed copies.

Steam/Paypal Purchase receipt?

Also, If I lose my boxed copy and I go to the store and say "I swear I got it, pl0x give me a new CD and key" see who's NOT assisting you in getting your game back :)

Steam/Paypal Purchase receipt?

Also, If I lose my boxed copy and I go to the store and say "I swear I got it, pl0x give me a new CD and key" see who's NOT assisting you in getting your game back :)

I think I figured out what my problem is. After doing a lot of thinking, I'm pretty sure what happened was I bought the Collector's Edition probably two years ago from Direct2Drive, which explains why the game suddenly stopped appearing on my Steam list of games. I thought I used Steam, because that's been the only digital retailer I've used, minus that one exception which ironically is the exact situation I'm wrapping my mind around. Turns out, D2D tanked a while ago and is now Gamefly. After some brief research, apparently there's a bunch of people who lost their D2D titles without GF honoring their purchases. And to make matters worse, even the act of RETRIEVING a game I bought from D2D requires me to subscribe to GF and pay money to do so. Which I'm not doing. Ever. So I'm filing this one under "losses."

I can safely say I've never LOST a boxed copy of a game, but CD condition has been an issue in the past. Obviously, digital retailers have their positive aspects, but personally, I prefer to stick to a boxed copy. Even though I've been using Steam more and more, the past year or so.

Call me old fashioned.

SC2: Heart of the Swarm.

My oh my where has all my time gone. I'm going to have to do some serious catching up with work stuff. :D

Blizzard may have ruined Diablo 3, but StarCraft is still as good as ever. I'm glad they realized that you shouldn't mess with a good thing. Although I think they've dumbed down the single player a bit to reduce Macro management (only upgrades to research during missions is weapon and armor upgrades). So the single player is no longer much good at potentially preparing someone for multiplayer.

Still, great game in a great series. As a testament, it's the only game that I've specifically made time for in almost a year and don't regret it, although catching up with work related stuff is going to be a PITA.

Regards,
SB

My wife gifted me the Rage DLC and having originally beaten the game on Hard I always wanted to go for Nightmare. Since the DLC provides a new harder more, Ultra Nightmare, I'm using that.

First of all Ultra Nightmare is equivalent to hard in any other game. I remember really struggling with Nightmare on the original DOOM/Quake back in the day, this is still easy. The only major difference between Hard and Ultra-Nightmare is I now have to use the mouse instead of the xbox controller like I beat Rage with.

Also now I have a Samsung 840 Pro SSD which is one of the fastest SDDs around; consistently placing 1st/2nd on most benchmarks and I still have texture pop-in. It's slightly faster than before but it's there, every couple of seconds. I also keep getting hitches where the game seems like it's playing at 200fps and then drops to single-digits for a fraction of a second. Before I thought it was a problem with my old HDD but it's still there now.

JC took the time to create Smart Vsync because the ocasional tear was SOOO distracting and yet the texture pop-in and constant hitching make Rage a shore for me to play. Smart Vsync seems to make matters worse even so I have to play with Vsync ON. I really hope they sort this problem for DOOM.

Anyway, the DLC missions are very good thus far and the new weapon (nail/rail gun) is a joy to use. Having played Painkiller the rebar ammo is not a revelation but it's just as satisfying to use as PK's stakegun. The new bandit clan is enjoyable to go against and their idle lines amusing.

I've beaten Batman: AC with all the trophies and I'm now achieve-whoring it. Rocksteady also added Steam achievements to Batman: AA. They're not live yet but once they enable them I'm probably going to replay that too.

Being late to the party, I finally got my hands on FTL.
I never expected this (widely circulated) image being so appropriate:

ylW2S.jpg

And I love it. :smile:

Spent a lot of the weekend playing Torchlight II with my wife. Playing a Berserker and she's an Engineer. This game is a lot of fun, so much better with the Co-op (and it has LAN!). Glad they stuck to the same format and enhanced it.

Being late to the party, I finally got my hands on FTL.
I never expected this (widely circulated) image being so appropriate:

ylW2S.jpg

And I love it. :smile:
Yeah, FTL is quite good :) It can be incredibly difficult to actually beat the final boss ship.

One thing that I've found helps, if you have the weapons for it, is to kill off the guys who are manning each gun on the command ship. They never come back, though the guns are repaired when the ship returns (so you have to knock them into the red again to get them to stop firing). This doesn't completely knock out its offensive capabilities, but it dramatically reduces them.

It's generally not a good idea to kill all of the crew members, because then the ship gets taken over by an AI and everything gets repaired at once. It's not pretty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back