What are you playing now? [2007-2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to buy Dark Souls. Like....really bad. But I keep reading that it's not only got a frame rate limiter to 30 FPS, but it's also in 720p ONLY.

You must be kidding! Seriously?? Wow, if ever there was a shoddy port that deserved to be boycotted then this is certainly it.

EDIT: Hmm, actually upon reading a bit more about it it seems this game is from a Japanese developer who openly admit they have no experience developing on the PC and had a lot of difficulty with the port but are intending to support the PC more as standard (which is great from a Japanese dev). So given all that it's somewhat forgivable that their first attempt is a bit sh*t. That said, the game itself is supposed to be very good and there is an unofficial patch which allows you to increase the resolution so not all's lost.

I assume with the 30fps frame lock you should be able to pile on some serious image quality too while sticking with a rock solid 30fps. Not ideal but better than nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
That said, the game itself is supposed to be very good and there is an unofficial patch which allows you to increase the resolution so not all's lost.

I had tried it on console some time ago and determined that I'd prefer to spend an afternoon inhaling ammonia while punching my own teeth out.

Currently playing Crysis 3 on my new 7970. I don't know if my eyes are blind but the difference between low and very high isn't immediately apparent to me besides the shadows (I'm playing on my 60" HDTV from 8-9 feet away though so it's harder to pick out fine detail).

Anyone seen a breakdown of what all the effects look like at different quality levels?

Regardless, anyone who's played the game has probably been like me and just stared at partially shattered window glass. F#$ing beautiful.

You must be kidding! Seriously?? Wow, if ever there was a shoddy port that deserved to be boycotted then this is certainly it.

EDIT: Hmm, actually upon reading a bit more about it it seems this game is from a Japanese developer who openly admit they have no experience developing on the PC and had a lot of difficulty with the port but are intending to support the PC more as standard (which is great from a Japanese dev). So given all that it's somewhat forgivable that their first attempt is a bit sh*t. That said, the game itself is supposed to be very good and there is an unofficial patch which allows you to increase the resolution so not all's lost.

I assume with the 30fps frame lock you should be able to pile on some serious image quality too while sticking with a rock solid 30fps. Not ideal but better than nothing.

Hell, the game would not have even been on the PC if not for people directly asking for it to happen on PC...

Bought Dark Souls on PC when it got released, a game that goes against usual conventions and makes more sense.
(ie don't try to endure the strike of a hammer about your size, you'll be crushed... which makes sense to me :p)
With the patch you play 1080, gfx are from consoles, so not so good, but the gameplay is solid, I've never been that impressed when it comes to control, simple yet hard to master. (Try countering with a shield for example, though ! blocking however is very easy.)
Only downside is that the world is rather open, so you may very well go in a place you don't have the equipment for and get slaughtered by the monsters over there... But well it's not so much of a problem, some lost souls that's it.
(It's acknowledging that you can't beat that monster that's hard ^^)

Currently playing Crysis 3 on my new 7970. I don't know if my eyes are blind but the difference between low and very high isn't immediately apparent to me besides the shadows (I'm playing on my 60" HDTV from 8-9 feet away though so it's harder to pick out fine detail).

Anyone seen a breakdown of what all the effects look like at different quality levels?

Regardless, anyone who's played the game has probably been like me and just stared at partially shattered window glass. F#$ing beautiful.

What??? One simple test: search some water. Play it at low (or even high) and run through the water than switch to very high...look at wall or other objects near water!

8-9 feet away is definitely gonna cause a few issues for seeing a lot of the little differences between high and redunkulously high in Crysis 3.

8-9 feet away is definitely gonna cause a few issues for seeing a lot of the little differences between high and redunkulously high in Crysis 3.

To a certain extend...it seems to me that some effects kick in only with very high enabled. And I guess that this should be noticeable from 2-3 meters distance...

I've played Counterstrike 1.6 : not retro-gaming on purpose, it's actually a very recent game on Linux :) it got released this year. It's refreshing, looks better than it did years ago (because I have a better display) and while I would like it to have about 4x the number of servers (and comparatively less "de_dust2 only" servers), playing it is still doable.

I now have a little back catalog of games I haven't played yet, too. Indie but possibily interesting things (the "Penumbra" series), a kind of shoot'em'up game where you blow up things (but you control your ship, no forced scrolling) : I forgot its name sadly, and I have just one recent, high profile game (or so I think) : Trine 2, not ran yet.

I have fully functional PS2 gamepads btw conected to my PC, maybe that'll work with the Trine game?.

Today I once again get to play that glorious game called updating windows game explorer (what a wondrous peice of software it is) only 46 games to add
and the plus side while cleaning out the shed i found my beetle crazy cup cd - yay me...

Finally got around to STALKER: SoC and now I'm a few hours in. Running the Complete and Weapon Damage mods. Going pretty good so far except for the exceedingly long load times. They're pretty annoying since you die pretty much instantly after the weapon damage mod.

That's preferable to having to deal with bullet sponge enemies on the default settings though.

LOL is a really good game, i have play it sometimes before i was a bit bored by it. Nice to play with friends in team.

Currently enjoying LOL, my son taught me how to do it. :)

One post and it's this.. lurking or promoting? :p

Anyway, My Screenname in LoL is Fleischbaum on EUW (most active) and EUNE
It's ILoveBlurrz on NA servers (146ms Ping).

I got the complete Never settle:Reloaded bundle so started Tomb Raider, Crysis3 next and I'm looking forward to Bioshock infinite.

I'm in the closed Beta for Warface and World of Warplanes, MW:Tactis and MW:O and still play Battlefield 3 at night..

TIME.. WHERE ARE YOU?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back