What are you playing now? [2007-2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
what's a Duke map? put some windows in that thing!

Sorry, I just assumed that every living soul on earth knows about Duke Nukem :p

Why thankyou sir.

I don't know why, but the Duke just never gets old. Every time my friend or I fire it up, there's always something fun or hilarious to discover or so. We spent about 3 hours the other night just constructing various crushing machines and putting hundreds upon hundreds of enemies under them, held in by forcefields. The sounds and visuals were pants-wettingly funny. I recently found an old map I made where it was basically a rounded room with a space sky, about 20 spawn points for bots, and a super-fast spinning section of insta-gib space rocketing around the floor in the room... Needless to say, it was essentially a never-ending gib process. Watching the carnage through the death cam was insane.

Such fun :smile:

i've heard of it. only.

here in NC, we have a whole place called Duke. it's a hellish institution that worships blue devils. my lawyer offered to put me in law school there (ex US congressman).

put some windows in that corridor! (thing)

Space windows? :p Probably not the best idea on a Starship! Don't worry, there are plenty of windows on various other parts of the level, like crew quarters. There's even a massive damaged section that's open to space, forget the windows!

here in NC, we have a whole place called Duke. it's a hellish institution that worships blue devils. my lawyer offered to put me in law school there (ex US congressman)

That's...terrible.

Space windows? :p Probably not the best idea on a Starship! Don't worry, there are plenty of windows on various other parts of the level, like crew quarters. There's even a massive damaged section that's open to space, forget the windows!

That's...terrible.

i digs the views of space. how much harder is that to program? is the programming like "for(x=1 to 10) blah blah" or is that nothing like this?

yeah Duke turns out our 'leaders'. well if you follow. and like being led from behind. and submission, yet calling it freedom, and stuff like that. i turned my lawyer down. im exciteable...an ex drummer...you know how that goes, i bet. since aren't you the one who plays all the same games i do, when i do? DBA > lawyer.

Finished NWN2: Mask of the betrayer today. Before that, I played through the original main campaign again. Most of my original criticisms still apply but Obsidian managed to clean up the mess that was the game at release at least somewhat. Performance is much better, tons of bugs fixed... but the camera controls are still the most retarded thing ever and party character pathing is still painfully bad.

I did encounter several bugs, though. I got stuck in the geometry 2 or 3 times, which just shouldn't happen. What was worse were the two severe scripting bugs I encountered that forced me to replay significant portions of the game.

The first one involved Khelgar and the rite you have to perform before you can enter the trial by combat with Lorne. Basically, the cut-scene doesn't trigger. I figured out that it had something to do with familiars/pets that are summoned by various party members.

When you enter Neverwinter at that point in the game and your party has too many NPCs in it (i.e. summoned pets), Khelgar vanishes from your party (your get some sort of placeholder icon where his portrait is supposed to be) and all scripts involving him break. All you can do is to revert back to an earlier saved game and unsummon all pets before entering the city. If you don't have an earlier saved game where Khelgar isn't bugged, you're fucked. This is game-breaking stuff.

The second game-breaker involved Amon Jerro. After the long-ass cut-scene (that cannot be skipped or accelerated) where he kills Shandra, he would get stuck in combat mode. Since you can't talk to people in combat, I could not trigger the next cut-scene, i.e. the game wouldn't advance. This one took me a long time to figure out.

I had equipped Neeshka with a sword that has a damage over time poison effect. What happened is that when I defeated Ammon, he ended up with a poison damage effect one him that became permanent (for 0 damage though) once the post-fight cut-scene started. This is what permanently kept him in combat mode. I wasted hours trying to figure out what was happening, having to go through that annoying and longwinded cut scene over and over again.

If find it really pathetic that a game that went through so many patches still managed to confront me with two game-breaking bugs.

Anyway, on to MotB... it's a decent expansion. Quite difficult but a bit short, especially the last act. The production value is also much lower than the original campaign, i.e. less cut-scenes, less voice-overs, less NPC background stories etc. I liked the story more than the overwrought ZOMG TEH KING OF TEH SHADOWS WILL GANK TEH WORLD!! HLEP!! story of the main campaign but the ending is actually almost als shitty.

The spirit eater mechanics... I like the idea, it's interesting. I appreciate what they were trying to do but ultimately, it was just annoying. While the spirit meter isn't too hard to manage and less intrusive than I thought it would be, it really sucked the fun out of the game. I like to explore and take my time and the spirit meter essentially put me under time pressure and I hate that. So while it's a cool concept and all, it's a punitive and unfun mechanic that doesn't allow me to enjoy the game the way I want to. Screw that, I started to use a console cheat to fill up my spirit meter after some time.

Last edited by a moderator:
The expansion introduces some nasty scripting bugs to the original campaign.

The spirit meter is a horrible implementation of a neat idea and I completely agree with your comments on it. There's a mod that makes it bearable. . .I won't play the expansion without it.

Currently playing the Crysis demo.

still playing two worlds (97+ hours)...still one artifact left to go.

haven't finished bioshock because of above.

3 hours (tonight) into crysis demo. love it.

The Witcher, best rpg I played since Torment. The universe is incredible dark and gritty, the choices you make actually have consequences! Awesome combat, alchemy etc.

Just got The Witcher, finally. Just need to download the patch and off I go. :)

Also started Culpa Innata the other day, which so far looks like it will be turn out pretty good. The game is set a few decades hence and you play the role of a senior 'peace officer' who lives in the 0% unemployment rate happy, happy world union who is investigating the first murder of a world union citizen in 15 years or something.

They seem to have put a lot of thought into the world which is nice, what the world would be like, what peoples attitudes, prejudices etc would be. For instance, the thought of being brought up by biological grandparents instead of by a 'child development centre' is ghastly to them on a number of levels. What was in it for the grandparents, and if they were world union citizens instead they would have had qualified professionals developing the child in a CDC instead of unqualified bio relatives. Children are seen as investments and apparently altruism is bad.

I like how the dialogues feel like conversations aswell, instead of a series of monologues like a lot of games. Some of the voice acters are hit and miss (the voice for the main character is fine though), but all the characters feel like actual people with their own world view, personality types, positions in life and so on.

So far the game has given me a map of the city you're in, and you select the location you want to go to. And you pretty much tackle things in the order you want, interviewing the people you uncover who might be relevant, as well as following physical leads and clues.

Interesting so far. A game for adults, but not for the usual lowbrow reasons.

Played some Fallout 2, the atmosphere is incredible for such a game. Also a little bit of Crysis for some fun, crashed with the car into a soldier, whent through the window and got stuck in the passenger seat...priceless!

timeshift and hellgate are languishing now (just installed last week)...not bad games just no comparison to below...

100 hours in Two Worlds, unfinished...getting tired of it just like oblvion, G3 after similar 'exclusive' time. i'll probably switch it to tiny nibbles from time to time like those 2 titles have been for over a year each now.

never finished bioshock either (im sure that's some kind of sin)

im focusing on witcher and crysis! witcher is captivating, despite the tough combat (i prefer EZPZ). story, environment, music, top notch. interactions less so.

and getting SOF: payback today.

Finished Crysis, Timeshift & FEAR Perseus Mandate. Currently playing Blacksite, Witcher, Company of Heroes & Dreamfall (again).

crysis...6 hours yesterday...i still haven't battled an alien. probably 20 hours so far over 5 play sessions. i play slow (screw around alot). excellent game in all ways.

witcher...level 2? anyway trying to do some missions for a reverend (lit the chapel candles)...excellent game in many ways.

two worlds...over 100 hours and still not finished (oblivion, G3 class). love the game...a little bored after 100 hours.

bioshock...have not finished. love the game, just into the above stuff more.

sof payback...2 level...so so game. not a true successor to SOF franchise though. cash grab? a little at least.

I finally got Two Worlds and started it, I can't get into it. The controls feel awkward and terrible, the character models shake and jitter and look like barely evolved ape men. Then again, i've only installed up to patch 1.2 (there is a 1.2 right? I downloaded it back when the game was released in anticipation of getting it, only to...not). And the damn latest patch is over a gig, though I notice it says it includes graphical fixes. Just what does the latest patch do exactly? I can't seem to find details...

I really want to like this game, sell it to me! :p

*edit* The distant landscape looks really wierd too... There's no detail at all where distant buildings or structures intersect with the ground, giving things an ultra-cheesy and fake look. But what's wierd is that the outside distances look almost like Source engine skyboxes...ie; small, relatively well detailed areas that have been scaled up and stretched around you to give the illusion of a fullsize 3d world (ok, not quite like that in Source, but for comparisons sake...) I really hate to be the graphics whore in what is obviously a fun and engaging RPG, but it really does diminish the charm for me.

Wanting to play CoD4 but it crashes.... over and over and over and over.

Edit: Reinstalled, works fine now. Yay!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back