What are you playing now? (console edition) [2018]

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by Rootax, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Sigfried1977

Veteran

Hollow Knight. Brilliant game. Also bafflingly huge. I expected 4-8 hours of playtime from this. You know, the time it usually takes your average Metroidvania game to wrap itself up. Well, I've crossed the 30 hours mark by now, and there's still a big chunk of content left for me to chew through. My only slight gripe with the game is that it's almost too difficult for its own good in its final third.

#81 Sigfried1977, Jun 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    Silent_Buddha likes this.
  2. Karamazov

Veteran Regular

a simple bush can save your life

3. Karamazov

Veteran Regular

that was so useless and boring, and i couldn't even finish what i had planned, cover the whole forrest

4. fearsomepirate

fearsomepirate Dinosaur Hunter
    Veteran

Burnout 3 (OXbox) : Has aged extremely well. Of course the graphics are dated, but this game is pure fun.

Prince of Persia: Warrior Within (PS2) : I skipped this when it came out because it looked like a total affront to Sands of Time. In fact, it's...a total affront to Sands of Time. The first half-hour of the game is one cringe after another. I probably won't play it much more.

Divinity: Original Sin 2: It starts off fun but has gotten extremely boring. My party beats every combat by going to the same bag of tricks over and over. Like most CRPGs, it has the problem of being unable to hide the fact that at heart, the non-combat portion of the game is "find the dialogue node on the map you need to click through in order to advance to the next combat." In addition, the system does not fit the game. Constantly increasing HP & damage don't make sense when mysteriously, beggars and urchins in the city center have more hit points than the knights and guards you saw in the first mission. If you're not going into thematically more dangerous areas and fighting qualitatively different, scarier enemies, just...don't use that kind of system.

5. eloyc

Veteran Regular

I thought this game was universally acclaimed as one of the best RPGs out there.

6. Silent_Buddha

Legend

It is, but as with any game, it's not for everyone. This was easily one of my top 3 games for 2017. The sheer diversity in ways you can approach and solve situations in the game is just mind blowing.

Regards,
    SB

eloyc likes this.
  7. Xbat

Regular Newcomer

Just played some H1Z1 on PS4, must say the new lighting variation/ more colourful makes a big difference.

8. fearsomepirate

Veteran

It is. Critical acclaim is no shield from the scorn of the fearsome pirate, however. I'm the guy who thought Silent Hill 2 was arguably the most overrated game of the entire Playstation generation.

Walking to story nodes so I can click through dialog and get to the next thing I'm supposed to kill is extremely boring to me if I don't really find the story interesting (which I rarely do). The combat system is very competently executed. The problem is that it's solvable. Once you figure out how to set up your party to win every rock-paper-scissors match, each combat starts feeling more and more rote.

And I said before, it's not a game that fits Gygaxian RPG structure. The whole point of getting more hit points and doing more damage is to graduate from fighting kobolds & goblins to fighting bugbears and ogres. But in DOS2, you just keep fighting the same kinds of things for a very long time. So they should have come up with a different framework.

eloyc likes this.
  9. fearsomepirate

Veteran

Ah, I should also add that I intensely dislike gear treadmills. I much prefer systems where I can upgrade and modify my favorite gear rather than Soul-Devourer: Blade of Chaos Level 5 needing to be replaced at some point by Basic Sword Level 9.

10. AzBat

AzBat Agent of the Bat
    Legend Veteran

Sea of Friends <3

Community like no other. Highly recommend these guys...

Tommy McClain

11. eloyc

Veteran Regular

Speaking of RPGs, I'm still playing Dragon Age: Origins. Yesterday I finally beat Branka. Such a bitch! It was really difficult, I thought that I wouldn't make it.

Silent_Buddha and Billy Idol like this.
  12. fearsomepirate

Veteran

Oh at DOS2 really likes "gotcha" fights where you get surprise-attacked, hit with AoE, get at least one party member stunned or killed, and will probably take a TPK if you don't reload the fight after knowing where bad guys appear. Also, eventually, everything flies. Dogs, tar slugs, heavily armored knights...everyone can fly. So protecting the squishies is mostly about trying to space things out so the AI doesn't dogpile the wizard. It's really kind of annoying.

eloyc likes this.
  13. Xbat

Regular Newcomer

Just finished Wolfenstein 2. Enjoyed it but was quite frustrating, played it on hard. Hit detection seemed wonky but the story and cutscenes were entertaining.

Time to start my Dishonored 2 play through.

14. fearsomepirate

Veteran

More:

In DOS2, your party is always walking around in a "cluster" formation. The combat engine, however, is a turn-based tactical game that has a lot in common with games like X-COM or Fire Emblem. It's a very well-done engine; however, your primary way of engaging combat is "talk to NPC -> NPC turns hostile -> enemies spawn in -> enemies hammer your party with AoE / focus attacks on party members with weakest armor." It is typically extremely difficult to fight your way out of these situations without consuming precious resurrection scrolls, so the typical strategy is "talk to NPC -> NPC turns hostile -> enemies spawn in -> reload your game -> position party members in strategically useful starting positions -> talk to NPC." Worst case is "talk to NPC -> NPC turns hostile -> enemies spawn in -> reload your game -> change out your party's powers..."

Frankly, I think that fights that require save-scumming or prior knowledge to be extremely bad design. I realize that in 2018, most players will have a walkthrough in a browser tab, but I prefer to think on my feet. And the reason DOS2 leans on this strategy so heavily is that, in fact, if you begin combat in a decent position, after you've figured out how to synergize your characters' abilities, you will face-roll most encounters. Their main idea for keeping the challenge level up is to eventually have every monster fly and explode into large pools of cursed ooze. But even that isn't enough to keep the game from revealing the weak structure behind its facade.

15. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

West of Loathing on Switch.

A brilliantly mental RPG. :yes:

Silent_Buddha likes this.
  16. Karamazov

Veteran Regular

one of my best actions ever in this game i think :lol:

#96 Karamazov, Jul 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    Billy Idol likes this.
  17. Silent_Buddha

Legend

When not playing Warframe, I've been completely sucked in by Octopath Traveller. I just unlocked the 2nd job system and my mind is going into overdrive on how I want to configure characters now. I'm 20 hours in, and I think I'm going a bit slower than your average person since I enjoy the combat so much that I'm trying to level up all 7 characters (you can't swap out your "main" character) relatively equally. So, I might still have another 150 or so hours to go to finish. >.<

Yes, an absolutely brilliant game. This is what Fallout 3 could have been if it was set in the old west, had a sense of humor and wasn't crapped on by Bethesda (it's probably getting old, but I'm still bitter about Bethesda not making a proper Fallout 3). :D

Regards,
    SB

#97 Silent_Buddha, Jul 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  18. eloyc

Veteran Regular

I'm in the final hours of Final Fantasy III (NES). I just entered the Dark World, and I swear that I'm hating it. This game is not as enjoyable as the two previous entries, IMO.

19. Riddlewire

Regular

Just recently finished Dying Light on XBO.
    It's the best game I've played this generation.

DSoup likes this.
  20. jlippo

Veteran Regular

Slowly going trough God of War and some GT sport.