What are you playing now? (console edition) [2018-2019]

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by Rootax, Jan 9, 2018.

1. eloyc

Veteran Regular

Enjoying Tomb Raider Anniversary. <3

Also, I began playing Tekken 6. I know I'm not a bad player, but damn! The game is difficult... or is it me?

2. Sigfried1977

Veteran

TR Anniversary is a fantastic remake. Goes to show that more modern controls can still be implemented without sucking all the challenge out of the gameplay. The puzzle rooms are so much more complex than they were in the original.

eloyc likes this.
  3. eloyc

Veteran Regular

Now that I advanced more into the game, I can confirm that yes, it's a wonderful remake BUT the controls are not so so great. Sometimes she just won't grab onto a ledge nor jump even though I definitely press the buttons. Sometimes she jumps the wrong direction, thanks to the tricky camera system. I miss the side jumps, the possibility to slide backwards so that you can grab onto the ledge at the end of slopes, not having to repeatedly press the shot button when I'm shooting at an enemy, the difference between a jump and a running jump, etc.

I wish we just had an option to set "old controls and camera". Moving through the levels in the old games was such a pleasure: it wasn't as organic as in present games, but it was precise and you felt you had true control over the character.

4. eloyc

Veteran Regular

I just beat Tomb Raider Anniversary. Great remake, but the controls or the camera made Lara do things that I didn't want her do to. For instance, in this last part I jumped towards a ladder and pressed the grab button but she just didn't grab onto the ladder, several times. The first games were exquisitely difficult, but never because Lara didn't do what you wanted her to do.

I started Infamous (the first one). It seems fun.

DSoup likes this.
  5. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Loved all three, the first is my favourite.

eloyc likes this.
  6. Billy Idol

Legend Veteran

Love the new BF5 game...so much chaos, nice! Tec is on point so far, graphics are nice and destruction+particles are awesome, gameplay feels instantly very good to me (didn't like BF1 so much and needed quite some time to get into this game). The only confusing thing right now is the GUI, trying to get through all the menus to find my weapons and how to upgrade them.

7. DrJay24

Veteran

Finished RDR2 and started FFXV. Wow, what a horrible game. I got into Ch.3 and had to quit. I tried Sniper Elite 4 on GP, but with no X patch it and the same game play as the last one I played, I got bored in the first mission. I have AC Odessy waiting for me, but I'm trying to find something less open world due to fatigue.

Maybe try the Yakuza game I got free on PS+.

8. Sigfried1977

Veteran

Skyrim on the Switch. Fantastic port I might add. Looks so lovely in handheld mode. And after so many years I've basically forgotten almost everything about the game. Feels very fresh again. Who'd have thought that it would be on a handheld of all places a Bethesda game finally felt smooth and polished. (granted, they had almost a decade to fix the damn thing, but still)

#168 Sigfried1977, Nov 26, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
  9. Nesh

Legend

Tekken 6?? Why not 7???

10. eloyc

Veteran Regular

I own a PS3. :-D

And I don't think I would buy a PS4... I'm waiting for a BC PS5, no hurries, really. Lots of great "old" games to play, still (even from NES, SNES and PS1/2).

Silent_Buddha likes this.
  11. Nesh

Legend

Oh I had no idea.
    You have to keep in mind the frame data and attributes of the moves in Tekken.
    I guess you are playing against the CPU?
    I think the medium difficulty is way too easy.

12. eloyc

Veteran Regular

Yes, I was playing against the CPU. I love fighting games and I'm usually very good at them. I also know and played Tekken before (from 1 to 3, basically), so I thought it was kinda weird... I searched in Google and I saw that there were more people like me, but oh well...

13. Nesh

Legend

These games were much simpler back then (1-3). Moves now extend to multiple extended combinations and mix ups which mean, that often you will try to do moves while the opponents combinations have not finished.
    Other times you will get caught on frame traps and you will respond immediately after your opponent has ended the move, but you may already be at a frame disadvantage.
    Also juggles were much more limited and your opponent never did one even at the highest difficulty in the older games. Some moves when blocked can leave the performer of said moves open for punishment.
    You need to discover a few juggles that you can use. Also the CPU still has a serious issue defending against certain moves (like Jin's down+2 punch. It almost never blocks it)

14. eloyc

Veteran Regular

Yes, I know. I mentioned those games just to note that I know the franchise, but I know that the gameplay is way more complex, now. I've played modern fighters, as well, such as DOAs, SCs and SF IV.

15. DrJay24

Veteran

I just started Just Cause 4, but I think I'm going to shelf it until the patch. Back to Dead Rising 4!

16. Sigfried1977

Veteran

Smash Bros Ultimate. My first Smash Bros and I'm really loving it. Heck, I wished at least one stage in games like Soul Calibur or Tekken had received as much love and dedication as your average Smash arena. And Smash has a hundred of them. I'm not talking about making stages more interactive or lethal here. Just talking about the visual fanfare on display here really.

17. DrJay24

Veteran

Finished Dead Rising 4, I really liked it. I went back to Nier Automata, but the game just isn't for me. I also put JC4 on the shelf until the patch. So I popped in AC Odyssey and started it last night.

18. tongue_of_colicab

Veteran

Megaman 11. Worst game I ever played. Played it for less than 2 hours and absolutely hate it with a passion. I don't think I've ever played a game that made me so angry as this piece of shit.

Will be getting rid of it at the local store. Yeah I'll probably lose 20 or 30 bucks on it but anything better than hanging on to this.

Hate it and this again reminds me of why I never bought Megaman games before.

19. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Just spent 5 hours playing Champions of Norrath: Return on Arms three player on an emulator at 1080p. Still awesome!

Silent_Buddha likes this.
  20. AlBran

AlBran Just Monika
    Moderator Legend

Trying out Rickets League with @Graham.
    ---
    I just started playing Dante's Inferno over the weekend via BC on XO thanks to GwG. You're literally hurling energy projectiles of the crucifix, smiting the armies of hell, and there's even a powered ground pound in the form of the cross. This game has a serious demeanour yet it's so ridiculously over the top you just can't really take it that way (and maybe that's not a bad thing).

It's a Christian power-fantasy wankfest clone of God of War (apologies if you find this offensive. ;)), and the gameplay actually isn't bad because of that. One thing IIRC is that Visceral actually managed to lock it to 720p60 (on 360 at least), though it's pretty clear how they manage to achieve it given the graphical fidelity. Still it's decent enough.

It's too bad it didn't sell well enough to warrant Visceral's continued support (intended to be continued). I almost feel like they should have played to the overwhelming incredulity of the power fantasy for marketing even if the subject material is meant to be serious.
    ---

#180 AlBran, Dec 31, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2018