What are you playing now? [2018-2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought Homefront The Revolution for €8 in the PSN sale. I quite like it actually. Looks great and runs well at this point. Guns feel right as well. I'm especially liking how non-bullet-spongy the enemies are. You go down fairly quick in this game, but so are they. The Ubisoft design mentality can be a bit much though. The sheer amount of "save the civilian" events reminds me of the catch the thief nonsense from AC Unity.

Ni Ni Kuni 2. Game looks great due to the cartoon style with well done cell shaded graphics. KB/M support is mostly good. But there are some oddities. For example, LMB will generally work to select and confirm dialogs and menu boxes and buttons. However, there are certain buttons (to confirm saving, for example) that must be confirmed with a hardcoded key ("E" or Enter key) in this case that I haven't been able to change. The "E" key is set with a custom configuration to select character 1 instead of its default function, yet still is hardcoded for certain buttons.

Also, mouse acceleration for camera control is REALLY slow. I had to jack up the mouse speed in order to get it respond as it would in other games. Thankfully, my mouse supports per application mouse speed settings, otherwise this would be incredibly annoying.

While the graphics are basically exactly the same as the console versions, it's superior to console in that Motion Blur and DOF can be disabled. As well, there's a suitable selection of graphical settings that you can adjust.

Great game so far, although it's a bit different from the first game. I think I like the gameplay from Ni No Kuni 1 better, but there are some additions here that are really nice and I may find this the better game by the end.

Regards,
SB

Total War: Rome2.
Last patch was 2015 & they've put out 3 new TW games since Rome2 but apparently its still been popular enough that CA have now put out a new Campaign pack & Culture pack along with 2 patches & a hotfix for existing content including a bunch of pretty nice GUI improvements plus fixes for longstanding bugs :yes:
Apparently another Campaign pack & other content in the works even :oops:

I tried a campaign as Galatians (Gauls in the middle of Turkey surrounded by Hellenistic Successor states), its a hard starting position.
Things seemed to be going OK but just when I was feeling secure a big Seleukid stack came out of nowhere, captured half my fledgling enclave and my main army got sandwiched between two Pergamene armies & smashed :(
I rebuilt but just as I was expanding again same thing: Seleukid stack destroyed one army & rolled back my expansion while my other army got smashed by Pergamene army :cry:
Pretty sure thats about what happened last time I tried them many years back...

Considering options for a new campaign, probably gonna fall back on an old favourite like Crimean Greeks or the magnificent Baktria.

Edit: in the end I re-evaluated the early game options for Galatia, figured out how to early expand without aggravating the Seleukids & how to get better units early -> restarted & doing better, almost got Asia-minor secured :)

Last edited:
Another run through of The Chronicles of Riddick - Assault on Dark Athena. I love the voice acting and I'm in admiration of how well crafted the game is. Plus I :heart: Michelle Forbes. ;)

I had previously tweaked the game so it could run at 60 fps at 4k. It's not a strain for my GTX 1070, it's just that the game seemed to have issues with Windows 10. So I had it tweaked, but I forgot how I did it and the game fought me all over again when I started it up again. I'm guessing a Windows Creator update mucked some settings up.

I thought I'd tried everything but retrying the compatibility troubleshooter seems to have fixed it. Though I just checked and the .exe doesn't show that any such have been applied. Lol, I'm afraid to touch the settings anymore, I'm pretty far through the game.

Ah, I see now that I set the game to use a custom resolution of 3840 x 2159 that I added in the nVidia Control panel. That rings a bell as being a suggested fix for the 24 fps bug.

Finished A Way Out over the weekend. Really nice cooperative experience I gotta say. There's nothing particularly special about most of its individual bits and pieces mind you: puzzles are piss-easy, shooting is kinda meh and the writing is a bit on the hammy side. Scene direction and camera work are both outstanding, though. In the end, everything comes together beautifully and creates something that's definitely greater than the sum of its parts. It also didn't self immolate completely despite not coming with a day1 patch - Impressive:)

Just finished Lichdom.
Now I hate video games.
Why?

I'm still with RE: DC. Old gem, confirmed. Some things were stupid, like the inability of discarding items from your inventory and having to depend on those "magic", teleporting trunks, but the game was pretty unique and I liked the slow pace (as well as the well-dosed, more frenetic moments). The hand animations when the player uses the computer are so funny! Specially when you get something wrong. :D

On a funny note, it's curious how I started playing this game after I finished Tomb Raider (reboot), and I noticed that in the inventory you can see the 3d objects, rotate them and check them for further details, just like in Tomb Raider, haha!

I played a moment in Sea of Thieves, an interesting game :)
but it seems that it has the best times already behind it :(
I currently play in other PoE, Pilars of Eternity, also quite an old school game, but I really like games of this type.

I'm also starting to play Shogun Total War, I really like games from the Total War series

It's the most complex crafting system ever included in a game.
And the game shipped without a manual or tutorial.
What they call a tutorial is just a few gifs in the menu that show you the gamepad controls.
The game's brightness/contrast/gamma are broken and can't be manipulated. The developer has abandoned the game, so no fix will be forthcoming.
An entire level of the game was just a murky black stew with a few green flashes. Turning up tv brightness made it into a murky gray stew. The framerate in this level drops to ~15 when numerous enemies are in the vicinity.

Since you're required to connect with XBL to play the game (even though it's single player), Microsoft knows all the progress and achievements that anyone gains in the Xbox versions of the game. So when I finished it and got a "Rare Achievement - 1.33%", I knew that almost everyone who has ever attempted this game on Xbox One has given up.

I suppose that exposes my hyperbole. I don't actually hate games. But I just had a truly miserable experience with one for about two weeks.

Why being so miserable for two weeks? Why didn't you quit? Games are supposed to be enjoyable, aren't they?

I paid for it.
If that isn't enough of an explanation, then we're just two very different types of people.
Sure, we are.

If I pay for something and I don't like it/is a bad product, I think I would ask for a refund or, well, I'd have to fuck myself, rather than being in pain playing something I seem to hate just because I payed for it.

Shogun1? :love:
Its cool that they updated it to run on modern Windows/hardware & is cheap as on Steam :yes:
I really prefer the older Campaign map style of Shogun1/Medieval1 it's more elegant & produced a bunch of gameplay that the newer Rome & after style can't.

Shogun2 is very nice, but somehow I found it so much less engrossing, probably the TW game I've played least of.

That's that infamous Cryengine game which looks and runs like garbage, right?

If I were to answer in the affirmative, I would have to qualify it.
They released a patch in mid-2006 which stabilized the framerate for most of the game.

Although the second half features significantly larger mobs than the first. When the enemy total climbs well over double digits, the framerate can drop significantly. In one later level, it must have been fluctuating between 10-18fps. And that was probably a third of the time during that level.
Visually, the game has a major problem. The artwork and world design are nice, but you can't see any of it. Even the daylight levels in the desert are very dark. The night level in the swamp (which also happens to be the aforementioned 10-18fps level) is basically just a black screen. There are no brightness, gamma, or contrast controls for the game. Adjusting those features on your tv will just give you a gray screen rather than a black one. Perhaps this problem doesn't affect the PS4 version. I know the PC version works perfectly well.

I wouldn't be so bothered if the companies involved hadn't tried to erase this game from existence. The main menu screen tells you to visit their boards for support. A website which no longer exists. There are no support sites by the developer or publisher. There's no FAQ anywhere, because no one has finished it (See above, I'm one of only 1.33% who has finished it on Xbox). I sent a message to the Company's CEO (his twitter didn't seem very busy other than him posting pictures of daily activities). There was no reply.
It's a game which should be yanked from the market by Microsoft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back