What are you playing now? [2018-2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trying out Rickets League with @Graham.
---
I just started playing Dante's Inferno over the weekend via BC on XO thanks to GwG. You're literally hurling energy projectiles of the crucifix, smiting the armies of hell, and there's even a powered ground pound in the form of the cross. This game has a serious demeanour yet it's so ridiculously over the top you just can't really take it that way (and maybe that's not a bad thing).

It's a Christian power-fantasy wankfest clone of God of War (apologies if you find this offensive. ;)), and the gameplay actually isn't bad because of that. One thing IIRC is that Visceral actually managed to lock it to 720p60 (on 360 at least), though it's pretty clear how they manage to achieve it given the graphical fidelity. Still it's decent enough.

It's too bad it didn't sell well enough to warrant Visceral's continued support (intended to be continued). I almost feel like they should have played to the overwhelming incredulity of the power fantasy for marketing even if the subject material is meant to be serious.
---

Last edited:
I blew through Shadow of the Tomb Raider over the past week. Solid gameplay. Story was kinda weird given that everything is Lara's fault in the beginning, but it seemed to only really come together in the last few hours of the game in terms of the story. Overall, it seemed to be a substantial improvement over the previous games for the gameplay pacing & I actually got around to the tombs this time (I was completely apathetic while playing the second game in the trilogy).

----

Also blew through Prey the other week. Pretty solid Bioshock-in-space, pretty much. Loved the art direction too. The DLC probably wasn't worth getting, but I guess it's deserved money for the developer considering I waited so long. If I knew how great the SP was, I probably would have gotten it day one.

It's just too bad they decided to use the Prey name considering the lineage/history of development. Seemed like it should have been a new IP altogether.

Quite enjoyed the twist and the gameplay, although things were really confusing and overwhelming at the start once things started to open up. The waypoint system was serviceable after a while, but I can see how complicated it probably was in trying to make it function at all due to the game world.

Yakuza 2, the remake on PS4Pro. I loved Yakuza 0, like the first remake, and now this... I'm a huge fan, and I've to say it's one of the best looking game I ever saw, I don't know what is the name of the engine used for this remake (I believe it's the same as Yakuza 6), but it's awesome.

It's just too bad they decided to use the Prey name considering the lineage/history of development. Seemed like it should have been a new IP altogether.
I can not tell you how much this annoys/bothers me. I loved the original Prey, it caught me off-guard when it came out and blew me away! When I heard about this I couldn't figure out if it was a remake or a sequel, to find out it had absolutely nothing to do with it was devastating. :( (Ok, so I'll survive the emotional hurt and it probably won't affect my life very much...but it felt like suck on the inside for a bit!)

Played Overcooked 2 with a bunch of friends on my birthday recently. What a blast we had. Probably the first time I really appreciated the Joycons of the Switch because otherwise we wouldn't have had 4 controllers.

Played Overcooked 2 with a bunch of friends on my birthday recently. What a blast we had. Probably the first time I really appreciated the Joycons of the Switch because otherwise we wouldn't have had 4 controllers.
Four half-controllers! ;) I've not played any games with a single joycon (yet!), how was it?

Was perfectly fine. You only need 3 buttons. I also don't think anyone of us was ever using the dash maneuver on purpose anyways, so 2 buttons would have sufficed. It's a great way to enjoy party games with simplistic control schemes. Like Mario Party, or Mario Kart. I wouldn't wanna use the half controllers for anything requiring a bit more complexity, though.

Was just browsing steam for RPGs it recommended a game called Hentai Girl Linda. Glory be to gaben.

I had to look that up on YouTube and that is not a game, that is an image viewer with a clicky UI.

I was taking a walk, the wind whistled all through the night and other welsh hymns, suddenly my attention was drawn to a burning shrubbery by the howl of a very gifted bat. It was the Gaming Gods and they commanded me to replay the Dead Space Trilogy.
So I'm nearly at the end of Ds1 and really enjoyed it. I did use a trainer to give me $1million to to save me not having to traverse the levels and going to the shop multiple times picking up ammo and health drops because of limited inventory space.

Played through AC7 over the last weekend. AC was already getting pretty crazy with the superweapons, but I can't accept the idea of a space elevator in the context of AC's world. Just too farfetched. If the technology existed and the economics were feasible, the countries of Strangereal would not be using 20th century fighter jets, and the designs of aircraft and buildings would be much different. Plus their space elevator isn't exactly on the equator like it should be.

Sorry, Ace Combat, but I can no longer suspend my disbelief!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back