What are you playing now? (console edition) [2018-2019]

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by Rootax, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Sigfried1977

Veteran

I've spent around 60 hours with it and even with a team of 3 sorcerers blasting off screen filling effects it always remained very stable. On the PS3 a single tornado or meteor shower would absolutely tank the framerate. So yeah, no need to worry about any any nasty late game surprises. Like in Red Faction Guerilla.

Word of advice: it usually takes a good chunk of story progression, but side quests can and will eventually fail and become unavailable.

eloyc likes this.
  2. eloyc

Veteran Regular

Thanks for all the advice.

Sigfried1977 likes this.
  3. Sigfried1977

Veteran

Don't mention it. I'll jump at any chance if it let's me talk about a game that's probably in my all time top 3.

eloyc likes this.
  4. eloyc

Veteran Regular

BTW, why do people like... snort when I get close to them? Like I disgust them or whatever...

5. eloyc

Veteran Regular

So, I've been progressing in Dragon's Dogma. It seemed (past tense, I stopped playing the game) pretty cool, until I fully understood that there's this stupid limitation that makes you set only a few of the skills you already learned (three primary and three secondary). In Dragon Age, for instance, you can use all the skills you've learnt, which seems pretty obvious and basic to me. This limitation is specially frustrating for mages/sorcerers, which was my case. So, say, I'm in the middle of a dungeon and I realise that there are creatures weak to ice, but my spells are fire and thunder. Even though I knew ice spells, I couldn't use them unless I go to a fucking inn and I "set" them!

Anyhow, the last nail in the coffin was the autosave feature that messed up a really good game I'd been progressing on. Since the last checkpoint (which is not the same as a saved game), I had gained a lot of experience, items, enhanced stuff, advanced in the main quest, etc. But then in Gran Soren I fired my staff by mistake and I was arrested and bam! I see the autosave icon blinking when I was taken to the dungeon, what the heck?! It was a single mistake, an accident and I didn't even hurt anyone. I wasn't able to reload in a previous section since the autosave just messed that up. I only could reload in the last checkpoint, which was a loooong way back, meaning that I lost the good progress I made, lots of hours, so fuck it, that's it. No more Dragon's Dogma for me. I refuse to replay so many hours.

It's a pity because I actually liked the setting and some things were really cool, though...

6. Rodéric

Rodéric a.k.a. Ingenu
    Moderator Veteran

I finished Zelda Breath of the Wild, that game was awesome, can't wait for the next!
    Still progressing in Divinity Original Sin in coop, that's interesting and not a follow the arrow type of gameplay.

Silent_Buddha likes this.
  7. Sigfried1977

Veteran

Why didn't you just get out of the dungeon? You can either bribe the jailer, use a skeleton key if you had one on you, or just serve your time (one full day-night cycle). Not exactly the end of the world.

As for your other problem: that's why you should hire pawns complementing your own. I'm an assassin right now and as a strength-based character I do fuck all damage against late-game magic enemies. That is until my sorceress casts her lightning bubble which turns me into a killing machine.

Or you could just switch classes. As a magic user you can make full use of the Magic Archer class (probably the most fun class in the game) or the Mystic Knight.

You should switch classes anyways because there are some great passive skills to learn.

#327 Sigfried1977, Aug 26, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  8. eloyc

Veteran Regular

I didn't like the fact that I was put there because of a stupid reason, so bribing a jailer to get out when I didn't do anything worthy of putting me there in the first place didn't appeal to me either. I didn't know that I had to serve one full day, either. But yes, it was not the end of the world. However, I made the mistake of reloading in the last checkpoint, and then I lost it all. There are things that you just don't know or aren't explained in a very effective way (the screwy save system, how can you get in and out of jail, etc.), at least, and that's the reason why it happened like that, to me.

At any rate, I still think that not being able to use all the skills you know at any time doesn't make any sense.

-----------

Now I'm playing L.A. Noire. I spent quite a few minutes chilling out to the title screen the first time I booted it. :mrgreen: I like the theme and the setting, and the gameplay is fun. The facial motion capture is top notch... the body motion not so much, as you can see some characters with their arms way too open (like they're holding an invisible ball under their armpits). Also, something looks odd in the character's faces, and I'm not talking about the uncanny valley: the faces look kind of smudged. Everything looks "painted" and way too orange and high contrast. Faces are constantly lit by a secondary light that gives an unnatural, weird glow to them.

DSoup likes this.
  9. Sigfried1977

Veteran

Well, I got thrown in jail in Skyrim because I accidentally hit a guard while fighting a dragon. In the end it's still a game with rules, and it cannot really tell whether you broke them on purpose or accidentally.

I also wished there was a way to use more skills. Not exactly all of them (it's still an action game which is being controlled with a very finite amount of buttons), but a couple more would've been nice.

eloyc likes this.
  10. Globalisateur

Globalisateur Globby
    Veteran Regular

God of War is really awesome, the story is great, and there is plenty of potential stories left for several sequels. God of War 2 is going to be equally awesome !

I must say the combat in this game rarely gets boring. Even grinding the random world for the Platinum, combat is fun and varied. It's like a mix of old God of War and Bloodborne combat. And some of those Valkyries are tough to beat, much harder than the final boss of the main story which was probably for me the most disappointing moment of the game. Too easy and too much QTEs. Those good old God of War QTEs, back just for the final fight...Ugh. Not a great idea even if the fight was still epic.

Some of those ravens are really well hidden. I think that's going to be the hardest thing to do to unlock the last trophy.

For me God of War is all about Kratos and Atreus story with a background of (interesting) North mythology stories.

About the ending:
    I really liked the second ending.

#330 Globalisateur, Aug 26, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  11. Sigfried1977

Veteran

The fact that the Valkyrie fights are entirely optional even though they represent the only instance where the combat system really shines was quite a bummer imo. Not saying they should've put the hardest one in there (a brutal fight even on normal difficulty), but one of the earlier ones would have been cool.

The boilerplate leveling system can ef right off though. Getting near one-shotted by a regular enemy because he had a high number floating above the life bar feels so at odds with the God of War concept.

Silent_Buddha, milk and Globalisateur like this.
  12. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Astral Chain on NSW. Man, there are some REALLY good games coming out on the Switch now that aren't made by Nintendo. 2 of them in as many months?

This is made by the people that made Nier: Automata, I think. It's very VERY Anime, but it's very well done. Combat feels good, story is interesting. Character progression is nice and relatively expansive.

I only tried it because a friend of mine was absolutely raving about it. Also, I need to buy that Nintendo Pro controller for NSW now. Tried it while trying this game on his Switch. It actually feels pretty good in the hand, although I don't like the D-pad on it. But gah, it's over 60 USD?

ARGH!!! I don't have enough time!!! And Gears 5 is coming out on the 9th? AAAAUUUUGGGGGHHHHHH!!! And I'm still not finished with my first playthrough of Fire Emblem: Three Houses! AAAAAUUUUGGGGHHHHH!!!

I know, first world problems right? I wish I was still a kid with tons of free time. :p

Gah, I thought my Steam library was bad with all the games I need to play there. Looks like the good games are going to start piling up on the Switch also. And now, Game Pass exists? Holy cow, where am I ever going to find the time?

Regards,
    SB

DSoup likes this.
  13. orangpelupa

orangpelupa Elite Bug Hunter
    Legend Veteran

Yep! Astral chain is aaesome! Really feels like playing an anime.

BTW you can play using PS4 or Xbox controller. You just need the USB adapter.

8bitdo is well known, and there are also many cheap Chinese ones with basically the same features (minus the fw updates).

14. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Oh really? I'll have to look into that. If I can use my Elite controller with the NSW that would be fantastic.

Does the USB adapters allow them to be used wirelessly?

Although button prompts might mess me up. I still sometimes have to look at the NSW controller to make sure I'm hitting the right button. I'm so used to the ABXY locations on the Xbox controllers that the ABXY locations on the NSW mess me up sometimes.

Regards,
    SB

15. Sigfried1977

Veteran

Also playing Astral Chain. It's wonderful. Probably one of the most pleasant looking titles on the system too. (I still think Breath of the Wild has it ever so slightly beat. What Nintendo has pulled off here is a small miracle really)

Also thanks to John for another excellent DF analysis. Him and Alex really administered a healthy dose of adrenalin to the channel.

#335 Sigfried1977, Sep 2, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  16. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Call of Duty Modern Warfare Remastered on PS4, which I bought off Amazon for £12. I love the campaign and hope they remaster MW2 and MW3.

17. Globalisateur

Globalisateur Globby
    Veteran Regular

I just platinumed God of War, the road to the platinum was too short. I really enjoyed the game and I think they barely scratched the surface of what could be done in North mythology and with the story of Kratos and his son. I really can't wait for the sequel.

Now I am back to Dreams on another project.

18. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Veteran

I hope next time Atreus falls off the map, or simply gets eaten by Jörmungandr. Never to be heard from again. :yep2::runaway:

19. Globalisateur

Globalisateur Globby
    Veteran Regular

Based on what we know Atreus could get much more interesting in the following games...

His mother almost named him Loki

20. Silent_Buddha

Legend

I'm guessing at some point they are going to kill off Kratos and Atreus will take over the franchise. Killing off Kratos will be what propels Atreus to be fueled by rage and start taking down other gods. Perhaps they'll kill off Atreus' wife (assuming he'll get a wife at some point when he's older) to further fuel the rage.

Regards,
    SB