What are you playing now? (console edition) [2018-2019]

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by Rootax, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Globalisateur

Globalisateur Globby
    Veteran Regular

Finally playing God of War. Wow, what a phenomenal game ! I love it.

I really didn't expect it at all but the world is really big and the adventure and exploration reminds me of Ocarina of Time. And it's the most beautiful game ever, like Ocarina of time back then ! So yes you can have the best of both worlds.

On pro it mostly run at 60fps (except on the main hub). It has bigger vistas than Horizon and even RDR2. It's really the most technically impressive game of this generation IMO. I can't believe it hasn't got more technical analysis.

ultragpu and London-boy like this.
  2. London-boy

London-boy Shifty's daddy
    Legend Subscriber

Wait, what? I don’t recall GOW running anywhere near 60fps. It was a very stable and smooth 30 but it was a while ago so I could be wrong. Either way, phenomenal game.

3. Globalisateur

Globalisateur Globby
    Veteran Regular

There is a performance mode on Pro running at 1080p. Except in the hub (where it runs in the forties-ish), it often runs at 50-60 elsewhere.

And that mode also greatly improves responsiveness, you should try it.

London-boy likes this.
  4. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Yeah, same. This is a tremendous port. And a fantastic game.

5. ultragpu

Legend Veteran

DF did go gaga at its technical achievements at the time and mentioned taking the techs to the next level on consoles :). And they were not wrong. The game constantly oozes out beauty, on my forth run now and I'm still taking in the visuals like I played it the first time.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Globalisateur likes this.
  6. DrJay24

Veteran

Days Gone and Destiny 2

7. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Fire Emblem: 3 houses. This has immediately catapulted to the top of my All Platform Game of the Year list. An absolutely amazing achievement in story and gameplay. IMO, the best game on NSW currently available. Hell, this might end up being #1 in my All Platform Game of the Decade list.

It has been years since I've been this addicted to a game and wanting to play it every spare moment I can.

Regards,
    SB

8. orangpelupa

orangpelupa Elite Bug Hunter
    Legend Veteran

Playing destiny 2 solstice.

Aaand.. Why are people so hyped with this update? It only brings ONE new mission

Isn't that game have tons of boring long dialogue and if you skip it... You understand nothing?

Also exacerbated by the tiny fonts...

Same problem with DQB2 with its overly long dialogues.

9. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Yes, but unlike a lot of anime-ish type of game exposition, it doesn't endlessly go over the same thing over and over and over again.

It's the rare game where I started out thinking I'll get tired of the dialog by the end of the game, but the dialog keeps getting better and better. And over the course of the game all those dialogs become kind of interconnected and explain stories and backgrounds of characters.

All of that makes me so invested in the characters on my team that I do everything I can to protect them and make them live. Some so much that I wish I could protect them in real life. :p

Under no circumstances read the spoiler if you plan to play the game, it'll spoil things in a potentially big way if you aren't expecting it to happen.

And later in the game makes me so sad when I have to kill them. :( My poor little students that I spent so much time getting to know.

It's so fascinating that I'm starting to look forward to all the conversations more than the gameplay. Which is impressive considering this is one of the finest examples of this type of gameplay (tactical combat) in existence.

I could gush for a long time about this game. It's so well executed.

What's even more amazing is that there are 4 endings, and the story and path to get each ending is vastly different. How they managed to find the time to make all of this magic happen? I have no idea, but I love it. Each story is 80+ hours. It'll probably take me over 120 hours to finish the one I started. So, likely over 400 hours of gameplay here for me. It'll take me years to do it all.

Also, every single line of dialog is voice acted. Again, how they managed this or how they could afford it, is beyond me. How did they even manage to fit it within the storage constraints of the NSW? MAGIC...MAGIC I tell you!

Regards,
    SB

#309 Silent_Buddha, Aug 1, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2019
    orangpelupa likes this.
  10. eloyc

Veteran Regular

I finished The Last of Us. Very good game.
    The ending was kind of meh...

------------------------

Also, I resumed Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood after a while, with a determined purpose of getting straight to the point: no more collectables, no more trying to buy all weapons, stores, etc., give zero fucks to recruiting and upgrading assassins, etc. But, God! How can you NOT do it? It's so addictive, yet I feel the game is way too long. It messes up my mind. :runaway:

BRiT likes this.
  11. Karamazov

Veteran Regular

bought Just Cause 4 for cheap, enjoying it so far !

eloyc likes this.
  12. Karamazov

Veteran Regular

bought A way out and started playing with a friend
    it's great so far, i really like how it's a real coop game

13. eloyc

Veteran Regular

I finally managed to ignore all the collectables and side quests in Assassin's Creed II: Brotherhood. I think that the rewards don't equal the amount of time you must spend to achieve them. So, I beat the game and I installed Assassin's Creed II: Revelations. Why did they change Desmond's face? It's not an age change, I mean, it's a different face...

BTW, until now it's been very annoying being bossed around all the time, like you're stupid. Desmond is practically the one doing all the job and most of the time he gets rude replies and stupid commands like "Desmond, get down here". Oh, yes, thank God you said that, because my intention was to stay here in this fucking pillar all day, instead of going towards the device I just activated/the door I just opened.

14. Sigfried1977

Veteran

Revelation is the one with the misguided tower defence nonsense, right? Shame really. Ezio deserved a better send-off.

15. eloyc

Veteran Regular

I don't know. I haven't got there, yet.

16. eloyc

Veteran Regular

Dragon's Dogma. The game seems fun and it's quite beautiful. It was a joy to realise in the initial village (a gorgeous little fishing village) that there's dynamic time of day, so I could watch the sunset and sunrise at the shore. I haven't been many hours into it but it seems difficult (I've been dying non stop just trying to cross a path to get to the Witchwood), too.

DSoup likes this.
  17. Sigfried1977

Veteran

Dragon's Dogma doesn't really hold your hands. The path to the Witchwood is chock-full of high level baddies and you should probably avoid it until you're at least level 20 or 25. Heck, you can encounter high level nasties as early as right at the start of the game if you take the side quest which sends you down the village well. You should probably stick to the main quest until you've reached the city of Gran Soren. You'll get some much needed experience on the way and it will also open up your options for character development as you can only pick the powerful hybrid classes there.

DSoup and eloyc like this.
  18. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

I keep looking at this on Switch. I'll pick it up at some point.

19. Sigfried1977

Veteran

It's a good version based on the PS4/XONE remasters. Not much of a looker if you play it on a modern 4K tv, but lovely in handheld mode. It's much better than the PS3/360 versions, both of which couldn't maintain anything remotely resembling solid framerates, but it's handily beaten by the rock solid PS4 version.

20. eloyc

Veteran Regular

Yeah, just at the beginning, because of the story and because I was right there in the village, I thought it was just natural that I tried to rescue the girl in that moment, but I guess I will have to do it later.

Regarding framerate issues, I haven't suffered very noticeable framerate drops yet. So far, so good.