What are you playing now? (console edition) [2018-2019]

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by Rootax, Jan 9, 2018.

1. eloyc

Veteran Regular

I met the black brothers and Ellie and I got separated.
    Edit: just in case, I don't want to know if it gets better or not. :mrgreen: Even that is a spoiler, to me.

DSoup likes this.
  2. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Ok. It's a game.. about a zombie-like apocalypse. :runaway:

eloyc likes this.
  3. Barrabas

Newcomer

Back from playing World War Z, some Worms Battlegrounds online with my brother and a friend and drinking beers, Cheers!

4. Cjail

Cjail Fool
    Veteran

I have quit gaming for some years and would like to go back with something worthwhile.

Would you recommend Sekiro?!
    Hollow Knight as well looks interesting as well.

Don't know which one to go for

5. Ike Turner

Veteran Regular

You just cited 2 games that will make you rage & quit gaming for good.. :no::runaway:

DSoup, BRiT and milk like this.
  6. Cjail

Cjail Fool
    Veteran

Nahh I like challenge.

As long as the combat is skill based then I am fine.
    Bloodborne was too stats based for my taste.

#286 Cjail, Jun 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  7. Sigfried1977

Veteran

Crash Team Racing on the Switch. Friggin' excellent port of a great cart racer. A cart racer that will test your patience and persistence like few other games (that I've played), though. God damn it is the A.I. fucking cheap in this game or what? It's Super Mario Cart 150cc levels of cheap. Mechanically it's incredibly rewarding, though.

8. Sigfried1977

Veteran

Sekiro is way less stats-based than all the other From games I'd say. I liked it, but I didn't really love it. I know it's entirely by design, but Sekiro's design is incredibly single tracked. There's one way to play it and one way only. I personally liked the slight cushion the RPG systems of the earlier From games provided.

Hollow Knight is the Bee's Knee's, not to mention an insane value proposition. I loved, loved, loved it.

9. orangpelupa

orangpelupa Elite Bug Hunter
    Legend Veteran

Except the load times. Why it takes so looooooong

10. DSoup

DSoup meh

Assassin's Creed Odyssey. I abandoned it after around fifteen-to-twenty hours when it launched but I'm replaying it from the start and enjoying it much more this time around.

11. DSoup

DSoup meh

Dragon Quest Builders 2, which is fantastic.

12. Xbat

Regular Newcomer

Started Division 2, graphics are nice and performance seems solid on base PS4.

13. orangpelupa

orangpelupa Elite Bug Hunter
    Legend Veteran

Really?

The first one on vita was interesting but got boring fast

14. DSoup

DSoup meh

I never played the original and the sequel didn't appeal to me either but the review sites I read all gushed about DQB2 (and how the issues with DQB were resolved). It's an open world 'lite' RPG with vastly-better-than-Minecraft block construction mechanics with town planning and base-building logistics mechanics, if you these type of things you'll probably enjoy DQB2.

15. Rodéric

Rodéric a.k.a. Ingenu
    Moderator Veteran

Care to elaborate a little over that or point to a review talking about it please?
    The game is interesting but I can't really figure out how different it is from Minecraft or Terraria and whether it will be a massive time sink or a relevant game experience ^^

16. DSoup

DSoup meh

I think Kotaku nailed it. Skim the written review, watch the - frankly weird - video review. Eurogamer's review is similar without the weird.

I played Minecraft from late beta to a few years back, DQB2 is really nothing much like the Minecraft (survival mode) that I played. It's got a bunch of different gameplay elements that mesh together extremely well to the degree I lost around 7 or 8 hours on my first play. I don't play games for more than a couple of hours but it utterly grabbed me. There is construction and building, there is exploring, there are RPG elements (exploring, fighting, quests, levelling, gear, new abilities, skills, recipes etc) and there is base building..

Base-building is more than shoving up a few houses for folks to shelter from the rain and sleep. Level your base and your villagers will learn new skills, they become empowered to do things on their own, including building things. As long as they have the ability, resources and a means to do something, you can automate things like agricultural (farmers do the hard work), provisioning (cooks turn the farmed produce into actual good food), things like entertainment such as bars a lot with utilitarian things like baths and toilets. The happier they are they quicker you can progress. If you liked building things in Minecraft, DQB2 offers so much more in this regard, the graphics are charming and the number of items to craft, many of which have an actual purpose, is insane.

There are is a lot going on on DQB2 yet it feels very calm and serene to play. You can follow some missions, go exploring, go harvest some stuff, just tinker with the environment and rebuild the whole place. If I have a criticism is that the dialogue can be a bit wordy in places. It's not Hideo Kojima-long but some folks can prattle on for a minute or so which feels unnecessarily long.

There is a demo for DQB2, this really only scratches the surface of what the game offers but give it a try! :yes:

17. AzBat

AzBat Agent of the Bat
    Legend Veteran

Man, I really need to get a Switch. Been wanting one for Zelda for the wife & I, but not for just one game. But that DQB2 looks cool. Bet my daughter would love it too. And I will never see it on the Xbox. ;)

Tommy McClain

18. DSoup

DSoup meh

I played the demo on the Switch but bought it on PS4. It's' 60fps on PS4 but otherwise the two versions are very similar. I would have loved to get it on Switch but I had to use some vouchers so my purchase options were limited and I wasn't about to buy a cartridge! :runaway:

This is so the type of game that I would love to play on the go. Perhaps when it drops in price on the eStore I will double dip. :yes:

AzBat likes this.
  19. Sigfried1977

Veteran

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3. Good old-fashioned cooperative fun times. Love the looks and sounds of the characters. Shame about the rather bland environments, though. Seems like those carried right over from MUA2. The first game may have suffered slightly from overtly shiny cross-gen visuals, but it didn't have those kinds of problems.

#299 Sigfried1977, Jul 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  20. Sigfried1977

Veteran

Bought Diablo 3 during the Switch games summer sale. Fantastic port. Everyone keeps singing praises for Panic Button when it comes to Switch ports, but Iron Galaxy is doing some mighty spectacular work as well.

DSoup likes this.