What are you playing now? (console edition) [2018-2019]

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by Rootax, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Riddlewire

Regular

My Xbox came with a 1 month code for Gamepass when I got it last year. Ryse was on the service back then. I played for maybe an hour. Just a little too much of dragging you from one "Here's where you play the game!" section to the next. I really don't like that type of design. Unfortunately, that is what most narrative driven games these days do. I prefer to be let loose to make my own way in the game world. Even linear paths can do this (Alan Wake, for example). I always intended to play Quantum Break. Just waited for the opportunity.
    There are a couple more titles on GP I'll try. But I've got an enormous backlog of games on my shelf that aren't getting any younger.

2. eloyc

Veteran Regular

Still with The Last of Us.

Wow, wow and wow!

DSoup likes this.
  3. ultragpu

Legend Veteran

Just finished A Plague Tale, absolutely a terrific game with good story, unique gameplay mechanics and nice graphics. I feel like I'm emotionally attached to the characters I just don't want the story to end, these smaller budget linear narrative driven games are totally gems, Hellblade and this totally deserve my money.

eloyc likes this.
  4. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Still Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age on Switch.

About 32 hours in and really enjoying it. Having not appealed ever, I'm really quite enjoying the world of Final Fantasy and an RPG on the go makes train and plane trips zoom by. I see FF XV Pocket Edition is on Switch so I may go for that next.

5. Dr Evil

Dr Evil Anas platyrhynchos
    Legend Veteran

Yeah have to play that one of these days too. I think I own it on PS4 and PC haha. I thought Asylum and City were really well made games also.

I'm still playing Spiderman, just had some prison breaking going on. Things are ramping up.

6. Sigfried1977

Veteran

Do it. It's a fantastic, grandiose game. The tank is a hit and miss addition unfortunately, but there's so much more to love about this game. The sidequests - well, most of them at least- put the efforts of other open world games to shame.

7. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

Just a fair warning if you’re playing with all the DLC installed - there’s a game breaking bug if you don’t choose to activate the end sequence right away when given the opportunity because the game can’t count properly with the extra DLC missions. Rocksteady never patched it, so I had to YouTube the ending. :|

DSoup likes this.
  8. Dr Evil

Legend Veteran

Cool. I think I'll play it after I complete Horizon. I saw the credits in Spiderman already. I think it got better along the way. Solid game.

9. milk

Veteran Regular

Have you tried Ass Sassy Creed: Orifice? There is a lot of back stabbing with the hidden blade. Sometimes with double penetration, of, the, hidden blades.

eloyc likes this.
  10. Riddlewire

Regular

Finished Prey yesterday.
    I enjoyed the first 10 hours of it. Then it became Backtrack Hero. For 17 more hours.
    On a X1S with 1.5 minute load times per door, that makes for a tedious experience.
    Probably a 9/10 game on a PC with fast storage.

Started Ori and the Blind Forest.

AlBran likes this.
  11. Sigfried1977

Veteran

I loved Prey. But yeah, those loading times were nasty. I didn't mind the backtracking, though. Revisiting already explored areas with new tools and abilities is a fun thing to do for me.

AlBran likes this.
  12. Billy Idol

Legend Veteran

Bought Chaosbane, as reviewers stated it is Diablo.

After playing for 2h or so, I fired up Diablo 3 and now I am rocking a Demon Hunter in season 17. Just cleared GR80 with my shadow impaler.

Trying to get my head around the gameplay rotation for my new N6M4 build...seems strong, but I am fighting resources all the time.

Also trying a multishot build. Although fun to play, it seems a bit slower than shadow impaler.

Edit: after getting Dawn and the compass rose, I could upgrade all 3 sets and could finish GR80 with all builds. First time playing DH and it is cool to have 3 cool builds.

#272 Billy Idol, Jun 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  13. NavNucST3

Veteran

Too Human and Kameo

BRiT likes this.
  14. Gerry

Regular

Just finished the Outer Wilds.

It's tremendous. Best game I've played for a while. If you're on Xbox Game Pass, download it and play it now.

AzBat likes this.
  15. AzBat

AzBat Agent of the Bat
    Legend Veteran

Any game comparisons? Keep confusing this with Outer Worlds.

Tommy McClain

DSoup likes this.
  16. Gerry

Regular

It's a tightly-crafted exploration/puzzle game based on a time-loop mechanism. The planetary system is an absolute joy to explore and because everything is on a miniature scale it takes no time at all to get from a to b. I've seen it compared to No Man's Sky, but I think it's the complete opposite of that game. Rather than craft a huge, empty universe we get something far smaller, but far more engaging.

AzBat and BRiT like this.
  17. Dr Evil

Legend Veteran

I've put around 50h into Horizon Zero Dawn and it's been a great experience. Gameplay is so smooth and everything is working great. RPG elements are quite light and I'd like the character to be able climb a little better, but other than that it's been a great ride. The story is quite interesting as well. A true gem and one of the better games of the gen for sure. I'm still in the main story part of it, been doing a lot of sidequests and I still have the expansion part uncovered. I still don't have a spear that can be modified either...

I love the visuals also, but I have to say that despite what most people say this checkerboarding thing does not equal native 4k, not even close. Not for me anyway.

18. Riddlewire

Regular

Just to broaden the opinion base here, I really hated it.

I do greatly prefer direct action-based interactivity these days, though. I might have enjoyed it more twenty years ago.

19. eloyc

Veteran Regular

Ok, The Last of Us is starting to get repetitive and boring. I love the characters, the story and the graphics, but damn, I feel I keep repeating the same stuff over and over.

20. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Where are you? Season/location, description of the giraffe in the corner you last hid?