What are Extreme Pipelines?

rms

Newcomer
Hi, I see these mentions of "12 pipelines, 8 extreme pipelines". Does that mean 8 of 12 are enhanced in some way, or are these in addition, or what.

And what is meant by 'extreme'.

rms

Nothing. It was a smokescreen.

This is what they told vendors back in December - they had to tell them that there was a product coming, but they knew as soon as they did it would leak. Ergo, they told them something just to make them happy, hence "8 Extreme pipelines" -- effectively a single extreme pipeline is two normal ones! ;)

DaveBaumann said:

This is what they told vendors back in December - they had to tell them that there was a product coming, but they knew as soon as they did it would leak. Ergo, they told them something just to make them happy, hence "8 Extreme pipelines" -- effectively a single extreme pipeline is two normal ones! ;)

Really!? Man, I thought if one of teh rumors was good it had something to do with 8 eXtreme pipelines. lol. WTF, Dave your not shitn us are you?

Doomtrooper said:
Inquirer likes to brag how correct it was, their record isn't looking so good right now 8)

Nah.. I am thinking of something HB said sometime ago on R3D. HB has a spotty record himself.. :D I don't take the Inq that serious really even though I can't resist that particular *favorite* linky when I'm goofing around looking for information... sometimes they are "spot on".

Yup the Inquirer was spot on in this case. That spot here, that spot over there, that spot down the street, that spot at the 45th parallel...

edit: not to be too harsh on the Inq, but if I have to read one more "odds are they'll change everything after our report" disclaimer I'm going to snap.

DaveBaumann said:

:idea:

knifing.gif

digitalwanderer said:
DaveBaumann said:

:idea:

knifing.gif

That's what you get for listening to birdies diggers. ;)

No, all lies! Both Nvidia and ATI completely redesigned NV40 and R420 in the last two months! These are *new* NV40 and R420, which are really NV45 and R480! Because there is no such thing as design lockdown and adding another 4-8 pipelines to chip takes 3 seconds! Oh, and Judgment Day is next week.

Sabastian said:
Doomtrooper said:
Inquirer likes to brag how correct it was, their record isn't looking so good right now 8)

Nah.. I am thinking of something HB said sometime ago on R3D. HB has a spotty record himself.. :D I don't take the Inq that serious really even though I can't resist that particular *favorite* linky when I'm goofing around looking for information... sometimes they are "spot on".
WHAT?? :devilish:

You better go check what i posted an Nvnews almost a year ago.

I posted a lot of Things, a lot of different times. Not all of them were intended on being totally accurate. What i have never failed to say even when messing around is its a *16* pixel Architecture.

DaveBaumann said:

Ah....my faith is restored in the inherent common sense of some of mankind...:D Thanks for sharing that. What a relief. And, as you phrase it, it seems a masterful stroke of brilliant corporate misinformation to feed your competitors prior to shipping a product--8 "extreme" pipes camouflaging 16 actual ones. Outstanding tactic, if I may say so. May I say so?...;) Please don't tell me you were kidding.... :?:

Geeforcer said:
No, all lies! Both Nvidia and ATI completely redesigned NV40 and R420 in the last two months! These are *new* NV40 and R420, which are really NV45 and R480! Because there is no such thing as design lockdown and adding another 4-8 pipelines to chip takes 3 seconds! Oh, and Judgment Day is next week.

Yes, here's the skinny:

nVidia hired TSMC merely as a front to disguise their true intentions of using IBM, nV30 was a merely a smokescreen to hide nVidia's intent to go straight to nV35, and nV30 never truly existed except on paper. ATi publicly hired the Philharmonic Orchestra to FAB R4x0, while secretly intending all along to use TSMC; and R3x0 never actually existed--ATi shipped boxes with RageFuryPros, instead, and paid off everyone to pretend it was R300 and multiply all scores by 12, even nVidia, until it could ship in R350 from Mars Base 5 (Low-gravity FABBING--how else to explain it?) It's all so clear now...

:D

(What tangled webs we weave...;))

WaltC said:
Ah....my faith is restored in the inherent common sense of some of mankind...:D Thanks for sharing that. What a relief. And, as you phrase it, it seems a masterful stroke of brilliant corporate misinformation to feed your competitors prior to shipping a product--8 "extreme" pipes camouflaging 16 actual ones. Outstanding tactic, if I may say so. May I say so?...;) Please don't tell me you were kidding.... :?:

WaltC, would it have been brilliant if Nvidia did something similar? Or what it have been immoral, deceptive and indicative of the scum that they are?

I wasn't even aware that the rumor originated from within ATI. Nice tactic though. Since they never defined an 'extreme' pipe you can't really say they were lying :?

trinibwoy said:
WaltC, would it have been brilliant if Nvidia did something similar? Or what it have been immoral, deceptive and indicative of the scum that they are?

I wasn't even aware that the rumor originated from within ATI. Nice tactic though. Since they never defined an 'extreme' pipe you can't really say they were lying :?
I don't think intentionally disguising what you are doing on the down side (i.e. claiming less than you have) is anywhere close to the moral equivalent of claiming you aren't doing something you are (i.e. "those really aren't cheats in our drivers, they are bugs").

One is designed to mislead the customer to the customer's detriment and one isn't. One is designed to mislead real customers and one is designed to mislead one's competitor. One was made in public and one was not.

Still can't see the difference?

trinibwoy said:

Certainly not, as ATi never publicly announced an "extreme" pipe, much less defined one (and isn't going to, unless Dave was kidding.) When companies do something I would call "immoral, deceptive and indicative of the scum that they are," it's because of what they publicly state about their products *officially* that turns out to be intentional fabrication and/or deliberate, premeditated misrepresentation. I can't see how that view deserves any argument.

trinibwoy said:

Deceptive? Obviously. Immoral? Hardly. Now if they had said to vendors that the card was 16 pipes and now we had found out it only had 8 tweaked ones, now that would be wrong. (you know, like nVidia passing nv30 off as an 8 pipeline design all the while failing to mention the big asterisk).

Back