Weird...Xbox360 can't HDCP handshake anymore

RudeCurve

Banned
I don't know what happened. I recently unplugged my Xbox360 to transport it to a new location and now I can't play DVD movies or watch downloaded HD videos.:rolleyes:

I can still play HD videos stored on USB flash drives. I have no idea what happened. It's very strange because I did not change anything. All the wires and everything are the same. I even took out the HDMI switchbox from the loop and fed the HDMI out directly to my LCD monitor and still get the stupid Xbox360 background with the HDCP nonsyncing popup. Anyone have any idea what's going on?:???:

Same monitor also? If it is, I would suggest trying a different HDMI cable, there's always a chance one of the wires inside may have been broken during the move.

Regards,
SB

Yeah same monitor, games work fine too. It's definitely not the cable because if I use the HDMI cable alone I can watch DVDs just can't get audio since I use the HDAV component cable to get stereo audio. I don't have a HDMI audio receiver so can't use the cable alone to get audio.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you try power cycling all the other HDMI components? And in different order? It's a known issue that HDMI handshaking is troublesome at best. It's no fault of the XBox360, just something rather messed up in the standard.

Well as I mentioned previously, if I just connect the HDMI cable alone it will play DVDs fine, but since I don't have a HDMI receiver, I have to use the component cable to get analog audio. Also I can't cycle the power of the monitor as it will reset the Xbox360 since I'm not using the official MS HDMI cable.

Lets try this from a different perspective. I'm assuming you have three components: Xbox360, Monitor, HDMI Switchbox.

Common Steps definitions:
Action A: Unplug everything from wall outlet
Action B: Unplug HDMI cables.
Action C: Plug in HDMI cable from XBox360 to HDMI Switchbox
Action D: Plug in HDMI cable from HDMI SwitchBox to Monitor
Action E: Plug in Monitor POWER cable
Action F: Plug in HDMI Switchbox POWER cable
Action G: Plug in Xbox360 POWER cable

Try each attempt sequence, and stop if you get it working. If an attempt sequence does not work, move on to the next attempt sequence.

Attempt sequence: Action A, B, C, D, E, F, G

Attempt sequence: Action A, B, C, D, E, G, F

Attempt sequence: Action A, B, C, D, F, E, G

Attempt sequence: Action A, B, C, D, F, G, E

Attempt sequence: Action A, B, C, D, G, E, F

Attempt sequence: Action A, B, C, D, G, F, E

Attempt sequence: Action A, B, D, C, E, F, G

Attempt sequence: Action A, B, D, C, E, G, F

Attempt sequence: Action A, B, D, C, F, E, G

Attempt sequence: Action A, B, D, C, F, G, E

Attempt sequence: Action A, B, D, C, G, E, F

Attempt sequence: Action A, B, D, C, G, F, E

Yes, the order of these action can have an impact on HDMI handshaking on early devices. It sucks.

Lets try this from a different perspective. I'm assuming you have three components: Xbox360, Monitor, HDMI Switchbox.

Common Steps definitions:
Action A: Unplug everything from wall outlet
Action B: Unplug HDMI cables.
Action C: Plug in HDMI cable from XBox360 to HDMI Switchbox
Action D: Plug in HDMI cable from HDMI SwitchBox to Monitor
Action E: Plug in Monitor POWER cable
Action F: Plug in HDMI Switchbox POWER cable
Action G: Plug in Xbox360 POWER cable

Try each attempt sequence, and stop if you get it working. If an attempt sequence does not work, move on to the next attempt sequence.

Attempt sequence: Action A, B, C, D, E, F, G

Attempt sequence: Action A, B, C, D, E, G, F

Attempt sequence: Action A, B, C, D, F, E, G

Attempt sequence: Action A, B, C, D, F, G, E

Attempt sequence: Action A, B, C, D, G, E, F

Attempt sequence: Action A, B, C, D, G, F, E

Attempt sequence: Action A, B, D, C, E, F, G

Attempt sequence: Action A, B, D, C, E, G, F

Attempt sequence: Action A, B, D, C, F, E, G

Attempt sequence: Action A, B, D, C, F, G, E

Attempt sequence: Action A, B, D, C, G, E, F

Attempt sequence: Action A, B, D, C, G, F, E

Yes, the order of these action can have an impact on HDMI handshaking on early devices. It sucks.

Pardon my ignorance but I don't see how this could in any way solve my problem. As I said the Xbox syncs with the LCD fine for playing games etc., however once I try to play a downloaded video or DVD it switches modes and tries to HDCP handshake with the LCD but isn't able to. It can't handshake even with a direct connection. If I use the HDMI cable alone everything works including DVD and videos. The problem arises because I'm trying to use TWO cables at once, however it worked before but now it doesn't which is why it's weird. I'm gonna try going back to my old VGA cable + HDMI cable combo to see if it works.

Anyway I just ordered one of these so I don't have to use the stupid HDAV cable along with my HDMI cable..hopefully it solves the problem. It would be nice if it solved the resetting problem too which happens every time I switch inputs.

http://www.amazon.com/Hdmi-Cable-Adapter-Xbox-360/dp/B001S5CCF2

Your ignorance is pardoned.

There are known issues with HDMI Handshaking needed for HDCP. HDMI Handshaking occurs when each device is plugged in / turned on. Unplugging a device that uses HDMI destroys any existing handshaking that occurred previously. The steps I listed are to resolve HDMI Handshaking issues.

For more information: http://www.google.com/search?q=hdmi+handshake+problems

Another weird thing is a few months ago I went on vacation and took the console with me where I unplugged everything. When I hooked everything back up it was able to play DVDs fine. It was a very simple console + HDMI + LCD setup and it worked, no HDCP problems. There aren't too many ways you could hook up a console + HDMI + LCD, what am I missing? How do you explain it working everytime if I just use a HDMI cable without the HDAV cable?

Edit: Well I've found the problem, it's the HDAV cable that's responsible for this issue. What I did was try to play a video with both HDMI and HDAV attached which worked in the past, but now got the "cannot find secure HDCP link" screen, unplugged the HDAV cable while that screen is still displayed and the video is viewable. I'm surprised the console didn't reset itself when I pulled the HDAV cable while the console was on. Still can't get it to work with both cables attached to the console.

Xbox Live Preview FAQ said:
Various improvements have been made to make it easier for you to see your game in the highest resolution possible when using an HDMI connection.

Display Discovery - This feature allows you to override audio and/or video formats independent of the display's capabilities.

How it works - By default, the console uses the information provided by the display (via its EDID) to determine the audio and video capabilities of the device. However, often the data is invalid or malformed, hence compatibility issues are encountered. When disabling display discovery, the EDID of the display is ignored, thereby, enabling the audio and video settings to be overridden with the desired format regardless of display support.

Who should use it? - The Display Discovery feature is available for DVI and HDMI connections in the Display settings section of System Settings in the dashboard. Please note that Display Discovery should only be disabled if audio and/or video related compatibility issues are encountered - otherwise, the output quality may be compromised.

Monitor Support - Additional monitor resolutions are now available for HDMI connections.

Maybe the new update will fix your problem?

Tommy McClain

I hope either the new HDMI cable adapter works or that NXE update works. It's nice to know the additional monitor resolution support will be available though. Thanks for posting that btw.

I hope either the new HDMI cable adapter works or that NXE update works. It's nice to know the additional monitor resolution support will be available though. Thanks for posting that btw.

NP I couldn't tell much difference on my setup. I'll try to play around with it some more tomorrow.

Tommy McClain

Woohoo! The HDMI audio adapter works! I could even switch HDMI inputs while the Xbox is on without it resetting itself! The adapter comes with a separate straight through HDMI cable but I didn't need to use it. I'm still using my own HDMI cable but with the new audio adapter.

Just want to say thanks to all who posted some responses in this thread. Was at my friend's house this weekend and he was flipping shit because his PS3 wasnt outputting video over hdmi. We swapped to standard AV cords and did the video reset, turned hdmi video out on again and nothing. Tried this a few times and then I remembered what you guys were saying about HDCP handshakes being a little screwy (he had recently unplugged all of his equipment to paint his room).

I just set the ps3 to hdmi out, hit x to confirm it was working (even though I couldnt actually see the video output on the TV set to hdmi in) and then turned the tv off then on and VOILA it worked.

Thank god I was there - he probably would have sent it back to sony and paid the labor fee (its a 2 year old ps3 out of warranty).

This forum is super knowledgeable.

Back