Weird Windows nag screen

rubank

Newcomer
A (female) friend of mine says she now gets a nag screen at login on her XP installation, saying "Pirate copy of Windows, not legitimate Microsoft". Disappears after login and all works ok.
I´ve never heard of this before, anyone know if she´s pulling my leg or if this might be real?

I have no idea if she have a piracy version or not, it´s not my concern, I´m just interested in knowing.

You should ask her if its pirated. Then you can look for a way to shut Xp up ;). Its either pirated or the OS is installed on two or more PCs when its just for a single license.

Sounds like those annoying "Your PC needs Cleaning!! CLICK HERE" kind of bloody annoying ads that kinda look like real Windows messages but are just ad crap.

Its weird that its appearing at the login screen though. If it is spyware or a virus..their getting more funky now O_O

I guess she simply got the "Genuine Windows validation tool" (or whatever it's called) installed automatically through Windows Update. Not sure if it can be uninstalled. And I bet the tool is right as well. :p

Humus said:
I guess she simply got the "Genuine Windows validation tool" (or whatever it's called) installed automatically through Windows Update. Not sure if it can be uninstalled. And I bet the tool is right as well. :p

It can be disabled :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Back