Weird PS4 thing happened the other day...

Grall

Invisible Member
Legend
Was watching a DVD, when the console suddenly beeped once at me and spat out the disc and returned to the dashboard or whatsitscalled in Sony lingo. I removed the disc and tried to put it back in; it would not. Some kind of mechanical thingamajig in the drive was blocking the disc slot. I could hear the little rollers that feed the disc in and out spinning, but they couldn't grab hold of the disc because of the obstruction.

So I tried to poke and prod the drive a few times without success, but quickly decided to simply restart the damn thing instead. As it tried to shut down it beeped repeatedly, always three beeps, before it finally managed to shut itself off.

Weird. Never had that happen before.

Was watching a DVD, when the console suddenly beeped once at me and spat out the disc and returned to the dashboard or whatsitscalled in Sony lingo. I removed the disc and tried to put it back in; it would not. Some kind of mechanical thingamajig in the drive was blocking the disc slot. I could hear the little rollers that feed the disc in and out spinning, but they couldn't grab hold of the disc because of the obstruction.

So I tried to poke and prod the drive a few times without success, but quickly decided to simply restart the damn thing instead. As it tried to shut down it beeped repeatedly, always three beeps, before it finally managed to shut itself off.

Unfortunately it'll happen again. It's a known hardware problem, but easily fixed.

It's something to do with the front rubber foot interfering with the soft eject. You'll need to remove the drive bay lid and adjust the manual eject screw.
There are plenty of online and YouTube guides. Try searching for "PS4 random eject".

It's something to do with the front rubber foot interfering with the soft eject.
Are you sure? Because my PS4 sits vertically, and it's one of the original launch consoles with capacitive front buttons instead of mechanical buttons...

Are you sure? Because my PS4 sits vertically, and it's one of the original launch consoles with capacitive front buttons instead of mechanical buttons...

The problem only effected the original capacitive models, even when vertical. I found a nice technical explanation of what was causing this online, but annoyingly I can't find it again. Something about the rubber foot expanding, through heat,and triggering the eject sensor.

Last edited:
The problem only effected the original capacitive models, even when vertical.
Ah, okay. Well, that's a bizarre set of circumstances! :LOL: Thanks for your explanation...

It's only happened this once thus far though, so I'll write it off as a bizarre one-off occurrence for now. If it starts to bother me a lot, I'll have to do something about it I guess, although hopefully PS4 Neo will be out by then, and have a BL-4k drive included, which means I could simply retire my launch unit and upgrade instead. :)

It does this with romcoms :yep2: It's a feature for guys and has saved my bacon many a time. "Oh no it won't play, let me put in The Godfather instead".

My PS4 did this twice but was easily solved by reseting the console (I dont mean formating). More like a software issue than a mechanical the way I understood it.

It does this with romcoms :yep2: It's a feature for guys and has saved my bacon many a time.
LOL. Aww, disc won't play. So sad! I guess this movie with Hugh Grant and...whomever...will have to wait until another time. :p

(Of course, being hopelessly single I don't have this problem.)

My PS4 did this twice but was easily solved by reseting the console (I dont mean formating). More like a software issue than a mechanical the way I understood it.

I've had that. The console seemingly forgot and couldn't detect it had The Last of Us disc in the drive. I could eject and re-insert the disc but the PS4 was insistent no disc was present. A full power off/on solved it.

I've had that. The console seemingly forgot and couldn't detect it had The Last of Us disc in the drive. I could eject and re-insert the disc but the PS4 was insistent no disc was present. A full power off/on solved it.
Mine spat the disk out while I was playing and it wouldnt let me insert the disk back in. It was pushing it out and it was doing a constant ejecting noise.

One other thing that happens, is if you put your console on rest mode while you are running a game and you turn on your console by taking out the disk and inserting immediately another game, the console will not recognize the new disk in or it will take too much time to do so.

Back