Weekly Diamond: PS3 May Have Less Frequent Games!?!

The latest issue of Japanese economy magazine, Weekly Diamond, reveals that developers are unhappy with the state of PS3 development tools, and software is likely to be late in coming for the hardware. The article states that PS3 dev...

The latest issue of Japanese economy magazine, Weekly Diamond, reveals that developers are unhappy with the state of PS3 development tools, and software is likely to be late in coming for the hardware. The article states that PS3 dev tools have only just started shipping to developers this month, while 360 tools were shipped last summer. Furthermore, SCE has not yet announced the price of the console, so developers are unable to predict what audience they are targetting games at. President of Enterbrain, Hirokazu Hamamura, says "We are unlikely to see games exhibiting a level only PS3 can achieve until the end of 2007."

The article goes on to compare the benefits of PS2 as a cheap DVD player when it launched in 2000, with PS3's Blu-Ray playback capabilities, the main difference between then and now being that the industry is currently deep in a format-war for next-generation video, and that Blu-Ray movies still don't exist. It is therefore deduced that the number of users who will pick it up as a cheap Blu-Ray player at launch is somewhat smaller, and that sales of game software will be key for the system.

Another thing to notice is that the "source" of this article is 2 months old now (give or take a week). So, do take a grain of salt with the news, as it isn't recent.

Although yes, it could be a problem, if the speculation is accurate.

Nerve-Damage said:
Touch the link!! :LOL:

I did, I'm asking what in the actual article warranted such a title (I'm questioning the original writers of the two paragraph article)? Nothing in the article would lead a logical person to create such a title -- only thing I can think of is for sensational value.

I've noticed google has an unfortunate habit of reposting old news on occasion as if it were new. It's a little annoying.

Hardknock said:
Well if we haven't discussed it yet, what does it matter if it's a month old or not?

I'm pretty sure the poor dev tools argument has been discussed, but even if it hasn't, it sort of becomes a moot argument after a certain period of time in which new tools likely have emerged. Unless you want to discuss it only in the past tense. ie devs were dissatisfied in the past.

Axsider said:
Wait until you see what SCE WWS has in their pipeline...

I've read every single one of your post (not hard you only have 15) and I noticed that you said something like this. Give us one small hint of what you mean.

Give us one hint that when it comes true we can look back and say, "Oh ok Axsider was correct he is the man".

An example of a hint would be "Blah title from Sony will blow your mind" or "2 first party titles will change the way you view physics" or even "A returning franchise will look on par with what you saw in the E3 clips"

If you can't go out on a limb a say something like that then there's no reason for you to post the remarks that you do.

Back