WD 750G 16M 7200 SATA II

* Brand: Western Digital
* Model:WD7500AAKS
* Capacity: 750GB
* Cache: 16MB
* RPM: 7200 RPM
* Interface: Serial ATA II
* Form Factor: 3.5

WD Raptor 150G VS. WD 750G ( I tried both of them already) Speed is more important for me vs. capacity of the drive.

time-boot.gif

http://www.techreport.com/articles.x/13253/6

Last edited by a moderator:
The new WD 7200rpm SATA drives are real monsters. The SE16 can be had for around $190 and the RE2 can be had for $215. That's not too bad of a price premium ($25) to extend the warranty to 5 years.

It makes me wonder when exactly will WD release new Raptor 10K rpm versions.

The new WD 7200rpm SATA drives are real monsters. The SE16 can be had for around $190 and the RE2 can be had for $215. That's not too bad of a price premium ($25) to extend the warranty to 5 years.

If they keep the same release schedule for Raptors as for the first 2 gens, I'd say we're about due for a new gen in the 1st half of next year.

Within 3 years I would probably upgrade anyway for faster drive, don't really need extra 2 years.

I've owned both, to be honest in the real world I can't tell any speed difference. The Raptor is way over-rated and over-priced IMO. Noisy too.

I suspended my Raptor with elastic cord. No metal-to-metal contact for that thing! It's much more bearable this way :)

I think it may be best to avoid them these days. The 7200s are really close to them now.

I had two Raptor 150s die within 18 months. I'm done with them. My new drive is the Caviar 750GB. The price/performance is so good for the Caviar that the little bit of extra performance for the Raptor just doesn't cut it for me anymore, particularly when my personal experience is they are not very long-lived.

I still have my two original Raptor 74G, which I've had since 2004.

With that said, I have a RE2 750GB Caviar on the way. Can't beat the price/performance ratio at all and the 5 year warranty.

I've owned both, to be honest in the real world I can't tell any speed difference. The Raptor is way over-rated and over-priced IMO. Noisy too.

I'll second that. I just bought the WD SE16 750GB to replace my Raptor 150 GB as the primary drive. The SE16 feels just as fast and is much more quiet. It is a sweet deal IMO. Raptor is now a back-up drive. :cool:

Good numbers on the RE2... I didn't realize they were actually that fast. I was looking pretty closely at the 7K1000 too because of the speed + capacity.

Back