way to force SSAA ..?

just wondering being the old dog I am and the whole new tricks thing, I am still rather fond of some of the old tricks, particularly when AA is concerned super sampling has always been a preference of mine even with the rather huge performance hit .. soo

is there anyway (using any 3rd party application or anything) of forcing SSAA in current hardware (x800/x1800/x1900) or is this something that must be written within the driver itself to be enabled ? (Probally a dumb question , still havent had my morning shot of caffiene).

another thing comes to mind, with the recent launch of Ghost Recon, Adavanced Warfighter (aka GRAW) and it's inablilty to use AA with HDR due to GRAW's use of multiple render target (MRT):

according to "Chuck" ..
The DX9 spec doesn't allow multi-sample AA when using MRTs and our hardware requires that all of the destination surfaces either have AA or not.

the key word there (for me at least reads "multi-sample AA" ie. msaa

This means that in order to get AA in G.R.A.W. we'd need to have lots of AA surfaces and perform a ton of AA resolves. The end result would be slow and require much more texture memory.

Am I wrong to assume that is what super sampling anti-aliasing ? I was lead to believe that SSAA is where the scene is rendered at a higher resolution, the multiple being the sample amount .. ie 2X SSAA @ 800x600 = 1600x1200, which is then scaled down to the selected resolution (here being 800x600). Off hand I don't recall the math formula for a scene's required memory footprint ( err [(1600 x 1200) x 32(bit)] x SSAA sample?? ),.. however with today's solutions having up to 8 times the framebuffer that the last ATI card that did support SSAA (64MB R200 vs 512MB x1800/x1900) and 6 times the bandwidth with just under 3 times the texturing/pass capabilities (6 vs 16), it wouls seem that todays hardware lacks not the physical prowness to render SSAA however it would seem more so ATI's decision just not to support SSAA due to the extra work required (laziness ??) . Am I wrong in my assumptions ? Would SSAA not work in the case of GRAW ? Does SSAA also have the same limit as MSAA when MRT is used ? does DX9 even support SSAA (it would seem so as Ati's adaptive aa is ssaa on alpha textures ,.. no ?) ?

Back