Water Shader Contest?

I'm all for it, i was always interested in water in games. I'd really like to make a history of water in (video)games some day. And brings back fond memories of one of my favourite games, WaveRace 64 :cry:

Battlestation Midway looks good, but there is still too much mercury in that water ;)

Leto said:

That's mercure, not water, and it's not even close to it. :LOL:
Midway, Virtual Skipper 3, and Pirates of XXI are really close to what one should call water.

edit: I don't think that is coming from Halo. That one is indeed from Halo.

WTF?!? I just clicked on the half-life 2 link and got bombarded with programs installing themselves. Webrebates, bargain buddy etc. :devilish:

FarCry water isn't terribly realistic but it looks nice and suits the game stylisticly very well.

The Battlestations: Midway water is very nice but I think two things are missing: there should be an animated texture map on there that represents slime, algae and general debris in the water. Along with that ther should be a matching reflectivity map that modifies the shinines slightly (less shiny where there is a lot of mud/debris/whatever). Obviously that would be quite costly and may not be feasible in a game yet (two more textures and both animated, although simple UV animation would be enough).

I smell an HL2 fan :LOL:

Nice water, bad splashes (relative to the quality of the water i.e. it doesn't "match" well).

The CSS shots are not very flattering ;)

Is there a setting for full reflections ? The helicopter isn't reflected in the one shot...

Personally, I think the #1 problem with water in games today is that the dispersion relation for water is not properly modelled. Modelling this dispersion releation is absolutely essential for anybody that intends to do anything but simple sine waves for water motion. Ripples and things really need to use the dispersion relation for them to look good.

Reflection is currently pretty darned easy to do, and so is refraction (though these may be a bit expensive, they're more than possible). So it's the animation that needs to be focused upon next.

Truthly myself out of games I've seen like Wave Race: Blue Storm the best and its not so much for how it looks but for how it reacts and moves so well. Looking at water in FPS is kinda pointless, its more like lets throw some cool effects on it real quick but we don't actually care about how it moves (since they really don't :p).

Chalnoth said:
Personally, I think the #1 problem with water in games today is that the dispersion relation for water is not properly modelled. Modelling this dispersion releation is absolutely essential for anybody that intends to do anything but simple sine waves for water motion. Ripples and things really need to use the dispersion relation for them to look good.

Reflection is currently pretty darned easy to do, and so is refraction (though these may be a bit expensive, they're more than possible). So it's the animation that needs to be focused upon next.

Splashdown on PS2 had, back in the days, impressive water. And since it was on PS2, it wasn't, obviously, fragment programs or the likes, therefore it must have been polygons of some sort...

Here's some pics (some are from framebuffer, others, logically, are not)
ME0000111893_2.jpg

ME0000080874_2.jpg

link
link2
link3

Well, they should have been able to do a good job. If you're only modelling objects moving forward in a straight line, you could have a pre-baked wave animation. It's the more general problem that's hard.

Chalnoth said:
Well, they should have been able to do a good job. If you're only modelling objects moving forward in a straight line, you could have a pre-baked wave animation. It's the more general problem that's hard.
What kind of racing game wouldn't have turns except for drag racing games that are extremely rare? Also, notice the ramps. Boats can jump and land in the water. They didn't just do a good job for straight lines.

Back