Water cooled vs. Air cooled

mkillio

Regular
Whats the min. - max. difference in temperature between a stock air cooled computer to a water cooled one. Also has anyone ever tried water wetter in their water cooled system?

mkillio said:
Whats the min. - max. difference in temperature between a stock air cooled computer to a water cooled one. Also has anyone ever tried water wetter in their water cooled system?

No idea exactly .. i guess maybe ... 4-5-6C max .. ?

RainZ

Using a Koolance EXOS on a p4 2.6 at 3.35 at vcore 1.65 idle is 33-35C, full load is 38-40C. Same system with air (Thermalright SLK947)wouldn't do 3.35. At 3.2, idle was40- 42C, full load was 52-55C.

Not a small difference!

heh. I just took apart my water cooler. Going to sell it . Got a vaporchill case :) . Last minute buy :)

rainz said:
mkillio said:

No idea exactly .. i guess maybe ... 4-5-6C max .. ?

RainZ

Lot more... my old Barton 2500+ (1.8GHz) was running 2.50GHz w/ 2.22V (1.65 default) and it's never went over some 40C...

With air

1. never can reach the same voltage/speed
2. you'll run much hotter by default than an OCed with WC

is the life of the cpu shortened when it's over clocked, even if it runs at a temp equal to or less than what the manufacturer recommends?

mkillio said:
is the life of the cpu shortened when it's over clocked, even if it runs at a temp equal to or less than what the manufacturer recommends?
When no overvolting is done, probably not.
However, using higher voltages WILL reduce the lifetime, even if the temperature stays reasonable, since electromigration will happen no matter how good the cooling is.

mkillio said:
Is leaking still a big issue with current liquid cooling applications?

I have had my setup running since december 2002 and haven't had one leak yet (knocking on wood!). Works like a charm and it just need a tad of refilling now and then.

mkillio said:
Is leaking still a big issue with current liquid cooling applications?
never was, if you did things right.

Some sites of interest:
ProCooling
Probably the best, bar none, site for GOOD info on watercooling. be warned: Do some reading before piping in like a noob, they don't spoon feed you like some forums do, they expect you to be able to learn the basics by reading.

Um, honestly, other than that, any of your local hardware sites probably have a watercooling forum - problem is, most are full of misinformation, wrong information, and "senior members" who think they know lots that they don't.

Also, when watercooling, there are two main camps - quiet, and performance. If performance is your main game, you will NOT be satisfied with a kit like the koolance, etc - DIY with picked components is the way to go - you still buy everything (unless you want to make part of it yourself) but you can get better performance for less money than any kit. What you buy will depends upon space in your case, money you wave, performance and noise level available.

For quiet, depends on how quiet you want, and how much performance you want, but many of the kits are pretty quiet, although relatively low performing.

Don't be intimidated - its easy, just do some reading.

Back