Watch Dogs.

Just shown at E3 and looks to be a PC/console multi-platform game due for release Q1 2013. Shamelessly stolen from the console thread where everyone was all excited by how great it looked - and then they found it was running on a PC. :D

So I thought we should have a thread here just in case you missed the excitement in the console forum. Us PC die-hards can then gloat without upsetting the console guys.

Introduction:

Gameplay:

It looks quite cool. Kinda feels like GTA meets The Saboteur meets Deus Ex.

It also looked like for a minute it might use CUDA PhysX, Cloth physics/animation on Jacket and how the guys jacket reacts to wind when going past the alley, however when he moves into the club with the dry ice smoke it wasnt dynamic so I dont really know whats what.

Nice original IP for a change though.

I think it has to be using some form of advanced physics engine too. It just looks too good, when compared to, well, almost anything. Also, if some parts aren't heavily scripted, the AI doesn't look half bad either.

Just shown at E3 and looks to be a PC/console multi-platform game due for release Q1 2013. Shamelessly stolen from the console thread where everyone was all excited by how great it looked - and then they found it was running on a PC. :D

Lol. Looks great, probably not quite on the level of Starwars 1313 but still very very good. It actually looks quite similar to Alan Wake maxed out on the PC so I expect this is something the current consoles could do with significant cut backs. Although most console gamers will no doubt claim the differences are barely noticable and then go on to argue for pages about minute differences in AA quality between the PS3 and Xbox 360.

Although most console gamers will no doubt claim the differences are barely noticable and then go on to argue for pages about minute differences in AA quality between the PS3 and Xbox 360.

Priceless. Too long for a sig though :|

Game looks interesting. Will wait for the DRM requirements before getting my knikers in a twist.

I actually wrote that post after only watching the first half of the video. Once it hits the rain sequence the graphics step up a notch and I'd say its clearly ahead of Alan Wake PC now and at least on par with Star Wars 1313.

Does anyone else think the rain graphics are reminicent of the 'Toyshop' demo that accompanied the X1900XTX launch? Pretty mad that it took that long to get that level of graphics in game. But then when you consider we've been held back by consoles for 7 years and the X1900XTX offers greater capability than those consoles I guess it makes sense.

But then when you consider we've been held back by consoles for 7 years and the X1900XTX offers greater capability than those consoles I guess it makes sense.

What's real funny is that now that new consoles are coming, PC APIs aren't holding back development for the PC ports. Amazing what these upcoming virtual console thingies can do.

Although most console gamers will no doubt claim the differences are barely noticable and then go on to argue for pages about minute differences in AA quality between the PS3 and Xbox 360.

In an ideal world, people would build their own machines from custom parts and developers would make games for them. No contract exclusives, no gouged proprietary bullshit, no hordes of subservient platform dolts. No authoritarian democracy, no consumerism as a form of social control.

Does anyone else think the rain graphics are reminicent of the 'Toyshop' demo that accompanied the X1900XTX launch? Pretty mad that it took that long to get that level of graphics in game. But then when you consider we've been held back by consoles for 7 years and the X1900XTX offers greater capability than those consoles I guess it makes sense.

There's no chance you could run the full game with all the systems and level of fidelity seen in the video on a PC with that card.

Honestly, it looks like a proof of concept video like the Prey 2 video from last year's E3. It's staged a bit too flawlessly. I have a feeling that the final game will turn out very differently and that we we won't see anything about it for a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone have this game yet? The reviews I've read range from "pretty good" to "like a bag of cheap slightly stale potato chips".

Also seen wildly differing reports on performance. Don't want to buy it and have it run like crap on my GTX670.

Anyone have this game yet? The reviews I've read range from "pretty good" to "like a bag of cheap slightly stale potato chips".

Also seen wildly differing reports on performance. Don't want to buy it and have it run like crap on my GTX670.

I'm sure it will run fine on that GPU as long as you're not expecting to be able to max everything out.

The consoles run at High, 900p (probably with temporal SMAA) at 30fps and you should easily be able to exceed those settings with the 670. All Ultra settings (especially textures) and hardware AA might be out though.

Here's all you need to know:

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/gui...tweaking-guide
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages..._review,9.html

oh my god.

guys, if any of you playing WD on PC. make sure to ACTIVATE the game 1st then the bonus content.

i wrongly activated the bonus content first, then the game. Now i just realized that i have zero bonus content. Ouch..

I'm sure it will run fine on that GPU as long as you're not expecting to be able to max everything out.

The consoles run at High, 900p (probably with temporal SMAA) at 30fps and you should easily be able to exceed those settings with the 670. All Ultra settings (especially textures) and hardware AA might be out though.

Here's all you need to know:

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/gui...tweaking-guide
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages..._review,9.html

Looks like I'd be fine if my GPU had >2GB RAM. Or at least I could run Ultra textures.

Oh well I can always tap in the HD7950 from my other machine. But just for one game, I dunno.

On second thought, I'm going to check out my backlog before spending $60 on something like this. Sleeping Dogs finished downloading last night :cool:

Looks like I'd be fine if my GPU had >2GB RAM. Or at least I could run Ultra textures.

Oh well I can always tap in the HD7950 from my other machine. But just for one game, I dunno.

On second thought, I'm going to check out my backlog before spending $60 on something like this. Sleeping Dogs finished downloading last night :cool:

You should really enjoy sleeping dogs. Once u got used to the combat system the melee fighting was very fluid and looked fantastic. Very high quality production and excellent graphics.

I am playing it on an unlocked overclocked 6950 2gb and it runs ok. At night if lightning flashes frame rate implodes though for some reason. I am running 1080p and High quality. Medium quality is maybe better though as it gets the frame rate up quite a bit. Visuals don't change that much.

Temporal SMAA is sweet and worth sacrificing other detail settings for IMO. 2x MSAA is slower than temporal SMAA and that is silly because MSAA is useless. :)

I don't have much gameplay experience yet so no comment there. It seems to have potential. Driving is strange though because the scale of the streets seems a little small somehow and highways are slowmo. But it has a sort of Test Drive Unlimited and GTA feel.

Back in 2010-2012 when the assets for the 2012 e3 demo were being authored at what point would ubisoft have gotten a better understanding of what the nextgen consoles had in terms of performance. Could this be partially a case of Ubisoft overshooting the performance expectations of the nextgen consoles?

Back in 2010-2012 when the assets for the 2012 e3 demo were being authored at what point would ubisoft have gotten a better understanding of what the nextgen consoles had in terms of performance. Could this be partially a case of Ubisoft overshooting the performance expectations of the nextgen consoles?

I think the primary issue is still the fact that they couldn't afford to do all the graphics work at next-gen quality when they also had to do it at current gen quality. Hence you see more high-quality textures in the more frequented areas of the game, but not nearly everywhere (as per the DF article). While it's also possible that is a streaming / memory limitation, I think it's more likely an artist/qa limitation (as I'm told that's the most expensive part of most games these days). And i think most versions are the same size, current-gen or next-gen?

Sleeping Dogs is definitely the most underrated game of 2012 and one of the most underrated of the last 5 years. The game is really good and everybody with a capable PC should buy it and play it.

I've seen Sleeping Dogs selling for close to 5€ for over a year. It's ridiculous for a game of such quality, production values and pure fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_A6Z3gkXlk

WD E3 2012 vs final 2014 in same mission

I think this video puts away all the "Current game is the same as the E3 footage" theories for good.

Back