Watch Dogs: Legion [PS4, PS5, XO, XBSX|S, PC]

XSX. But John (from DF) said it's the same on both consoles.

Thanks. RT on the PC version looks quite good, drop-dead gorgeous in certain areas. Looking at this, there is no denying Spider-Man Miles Morales RT is by far the most impressive usage of RT within the console space at this time.

We probably shouldn't be too quick to write off the consoles just yet. The initial video that Microsoft released looked quite good.

The image above looks like it's cropped in order to show the RT range. I imagine it looks a lot better when playing.

I think the fact than RT reflection distance is low is not so much a problem out of dynamic object. This is not worse than before.

XSX. But John (from DF) said it's the same on both consoles.

Probably because its a port of Ubisoft's Nvidia RT solution. From Miles Morales, we know consoles can do RT better than that. But Miles Morales's RT was built from the ground up to support the PS5's RT hardware.

Just because Nvidia RT has been around for years doesn't mean AMD's RT is plug and play. Devs will probably have to play around with both RT versions for a long time to fully exploit the hardwares.

Probably because its a port of Ubisoft's Nvidia RT solution. From Miles Morales, we know consoles can do RT better than that. But Miles Morales's RT was built from the ground up to support the PS5's RT hardware.

Just because Nvidia RT has been around for years doesn't mean AMD's RT is plug and play. Devs will probably have to play around with both RT versions for a long time to fully exploit the hardwares.

This is a Microsoft DX12 DXR API driven solution, not Nvidia's. Nvidia may have certain RT performance optimizations [advantages] at the driver level on getting more performance out of its RT cores for the PC, but this wouldn’t have any bearings on how RT is implemented into the consoles. If anything, Watch_Dogs Legion RT implementation on the XBSX should be straightforward due to the DXR API. Any RT performance disadvantages or visual discrepancies that the consoles may have with UBI’s RT solution will either be hardware related (AMD GPU RT performant issue), or game engine related. This has nothing to do with Nvidia, or how it handles RT.

This is a Microsoft DX12 DXR API driven solution, not Nvidia's. Nvidia may have certain RT performance optimizations [advantages] at the driver level on getting more performance out of its RT cores for the PC, but this wouldn’t have any bearings on how RT is implemented into the consoles. If anything, Watch_Dogs Legion RT implementation on the XBSX should be straightforward due to the DXR API. Any RT performance disadvantages or visual discrepancies that the consoles may have with UBI’s RT solution will either be hardware related (AMD GPU RT performant issue), or game engine related. This has nothing to do with Nvidia, or how it handles RT.

Hypothetically, if the NV RT was strong at X, Y, and Z types of RT effects while AMD RT was best at A, B, and C types of RT effects then it doesn't matter if the API is agnostic. Developers will have been following best practices WRT to performance of the NV RT hardware. It is entirely possible that that way of doing things isn't optimal for AMD RT hardware.

Hypothetically since we don't yet any games on PC that used AMD cards as the primary development platform, and it may be a generation or two before we see something like that because of NV's share of the RT hardware install base on PC at the moment. Consoles may influence that towards leveraging AMD's strengths over the course of this console generation, but everything on PC is going to be optimized for best practices on NV hardware for at least the next 1-3 years.

Regards,
SB

I have awful stutters when using RT and DLSS on my 2080 at 1440p...
I can get 60, but at random points I dip as low as 12 fps...
Also DLSS is kind of hit and miss in this one.
The game is fun though. I just wish it would be a bit more performant.

So the XSX runs at 1440p-2160p dynamic. It appears to run at a locked 30fps. And as far as we've seen so far it's RT is set to medium.

This game scales quite well with quality settings on the PC and you can get a fairly big performance boost simply going from Ultra to Very High, and then again from Very High to High.

Putting it all together and assuming the XSX isn't running at PC ultra settings across the board then this level of performance looks to be roughly what I'd expect.

There's a XSX and PS5 60hz patch coming on the 1st of June. I recall @Dicator mentioned that the PC's config files had a 60hz mode listed, so I just crosschecked with his original video and the settings are in the screenshot.

The only differences I can see are that the XSX has a better setting ("0") for HeadLightShadowsLevel when compared to the PS5 ("2").

There are also a couple of settings listed for PS5 that aren't present for XSX, but these look to do with fetching data, so presumably a unique setting for how the Sony machine operates.

Screenshot_20210524-150735_YouTube.jpg

I came across the PS4 version on clearance for <$4 new the other day. Free PS5 upgrade. I think the RT looks nice sometimes but when you are in a location where the RT is actually highly noticeable such as outside you also notice how low resolution and async it is. In some situations it looks terrible with the grainy noisy RT mush slowly flowing over the lighting and reflections. The worst I saw was inside a pub with sunlight coming in thru the windows creating funky mush lighting and reflections. Screenshots won't accurately capture the weirdness.

I think 60fps mode without RT is probably the way to go most of the time.

Last edited:
Back