Wasteland 2

I can't remember what thread we were all talking about Wasteland 2 in. So I figured I'd just start one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dH6AIlIrko

Features in game footage. This has me all kinds of excited. Just as the first 2 Fallout games reminded me of Wasteland, this game reminds me of the first 2 Fallout games (when Fallout was actually good).

Unlike the dumbed down combat in the recent X-Com, this one at least appears to have a properly involved turn based combat system. This game can't get finished soon enough for me. Can't wait for my copy to arrive whenever it gets done.

Oh, and the user configurable UI is greatly appreciated. Not quite as configurable as some of the better MMOs, but better than not being able to configure it.

Also love how they have text descriptions which can include hints about the area you area's you are in. Fantastic.

Just when I was losing hope that a proper RPG might ever appear on PC again, this may finally renew my faith.

Regards,
SB

Yeah, it looks like fun, I'm glad I pledged to the Kickstarter. The only concern I have at this point is that they might not pay enough attention to graphics for the sole purpose of being "old school".

Not that I couldn't enjoy the game with relatively basic graphics, I just think there are ways to make a beautiful game without sacrificing anything in terms of gameplay, tactics, etc.

As long as the graphics aren't horrible, I'll live. :) I'm not expecting anything super here. But serviceable will be fine.

If anything is going to suffer, I'm going to guess it'll likely be in the animation department.

Regards,
SB

My mate told me about this one a few months back, he had also pledged. I never played the original for some reason - not sure how I missed that one.

edit - now I check I see it wasn't released on the ST or Amiga which were the PC's I had back then.

As long as the graphics aren't horrible, I'll live. :) I'm not expecting anything super here. But serviceable will be fine.

If anything is going to suffer, I'm going to guess it'll likely be in the animation department.

Regards,
SB

I'll live too. :p Good voice acting wherever possible would be nice, though. Somehow text-based dialogs seemed fine in old games where characters were just a blurry lump of pixels, but these days it feels strange to have a highly detailed, animated 3D model stay silent while a bubble pops up above their heads when they're supposed to be talking.

As early as Morrowind, I thought this was weird and somewhat unfortunate. But I'm really nitpicking here, the game looks very promising.

My mate told me about this one a few months back, he had also pledged. I never played the original for some reason - not sure how I missed that one.

edit - now I check I see it wasn't released on the ST or Amiga which were the PC's I had back then.

Yup, I played it on the Apple ][. :) I believe it also came out for C64.

I'll live too. :p Good voice acting wherever possible would be nice, though. Somehow text-based dialogs seemed fine in old games where characters were just a blurry lump of pixels, but these days it feels strange to have a highly detailed, animated 3D model stay silent while a bubble pops up above their heads when they're supposed to be talking.

As early as Morrowind, I thought this was weird and somewhat unfortunate. But I'm really nitpicking here, the game looks very promising.

They've already stated there will be either no voice acting or very minimal voice acting (more like exclamation types of things than dialog). And I agree, use more of that Kickstarter money for gameplay. :)

Personally, I like that as it is extremely rare that I actually like voice acting in a game. The only titles I can think of where it added rather than detracted from the game were Dungeon Keeper and Overlord. But that's mostly because I liked the voice narration (character dialog sucked in Overlord but loved the story narration).

I wish all games with an option for subtitles would also give an option to turn off voice dialog.

Regards,
SB

Well, the new Wasteland Update came through and I'm just getting more and more excited. They go into the keyword system. Fantastic stuff. And so much they can do with the dialog without having spoken voice.

In just one NPC encounter there's so many permutations of how a conversation can turn out all depending on whether you use keywords that aren't already in the list of keywords, in what order you use those unlisted keywords, whether you've done something prior or not, what clothes you happen to be wearing (in this case a raider uniform or not), whether you have a certain NPC in your party or not, etc...

If the whole world is like this, the possibilities for replaying the game are going to be fantastic.

I'm starting to think I should have pledged even more money. They seem to be going full on old school RPG here.

But...I should try to temper my enthusiasm. Wouldn't want to get too excited and then have them release something incomplete or buggy. /crosses fingers/

Regards,
SB

At a time when a lot of Kickstarter games are fumbling around. It's nice to see that even though this game was finished and shipped quite a few months ago, it is continuing to get updates and will continue to get updates.

They are in the process of releasing a 6th patch for the game. Migrating the game from Unity 4.5 to 5.0 (to make things easier for modders of the game). And that won't just be a straight migration to Unity 5.0. They're actually going to take the time to implement some additional graphical features that Unity 5.0 allows like physically based shading, for example. Also working on some re-balancing. As well as adding new modifications to the classes available in the game.

Old, thread, but wanted to resurrect it just to give a shout-out to a developer that knows how to properly fund, develop and support a kickstarted game (they aren't the only ones, there's others as well).

When I kickstarted this, I didn't expect to get much. But they just keep giving more and more.

Regards,
SB

At a time when a lot of Kickstarter games are fumbling around. It's nice to see that even though this game was finished and shipped quite a few months ago, it is continuing to get updates and will continue to get updates.

They are in the process of releasing a 6th patch for the game. Migrating the game from Unity 4.5 to 5.0 (to make things easier for modders of the game). And that won't just be a straight migration to Unity 5.0. They're actually going to take the time to implement some additional graphical features that Unity 5.0 allows like physically based shading, for example. Also working on some re-balancing. As well as adding new modifications to the classes available in the game.

Old, thread, but wanted to resurrect it just to give a shout-out to a developer that knows how to properly fund, develop and support a kickstarted game (they aren't the only ones, there's others as well).

When I kickstarted this, I didn't expect to get much. But they just keep giving more and more.

Regards,
SB
I kickstarted this as well, and I haven't even gotten around to installing it. Holy crap. I completely forgot it's ready for prime time. I hope my keys are still available.

edit they are!

Holy crap Pillars of Eternity March 26 yess! I Kicked that one too

Last edited:

Regards,
SB

I just put the game on my Steam wishlist today, will definitely buy it next time it's on sale.

OK. So, they've upgraded the...er...upgrade to the GOTY edition as there's far more changes than just an engine upgrade and graphical upgrades. There's a lot of changes to gameplay, gameplay balance, item drops, enemy encounters, additional perks, and added voiceovers as well.

Best thing is...

We’re very happy to announce that the Game of the Year Edition will be coming as a FREE UPDATE to all owners of Wasteland 2 on Windows, Mac or Linux. Whether an original backer, a late backer or someone who purchased the game later on, we will be providing Wasteland 2 Game of the Year Edition as an upgrade to your PC version of the game, available to you when it launches in late summer of this year!

Regards,
SB

Back