Wasteland 2: Game of the Year Edition [PS4, XO]

Cyan

orange
Legend
Supporter
What can I say?
MEGATON
This is the best news ever to date for the Xbox One. This title obliterates any exclusive for whatever console in the market now. It is the PC World game of the year..

Last edited:
huh?
lol I'm playing it now, but what obliterates any console exclusive? what the?? I'm not sure if I give it PC game of 2014 imo. I'm not even sure if this will rank top 10 yet, but I'll have to finish it up first to really know.

huh?
lol I'm playing it now, but what obliterates any console exclusive? what the?? I'm not sure if I give it PC game of 2014 imo. I'm not even sure if this will rank top 10 yet, but I'll have to finish it up first to really know.
heheh, maybe obliterates isn't the word, the expression is "it f***s anything else on any console as of now". :smile2:

What can I say? This is the best news ever to date for the Xbox One. This title obliterates any exclusive for whatever console in the market now. It is the PC World game of the year..
PC World - the number one site for gaming news! Look, I like Wasteland 2 as well but this statement is absurdly hyperbolic.

This seems like an odd game to port to a console - unless they are going to completely revamp the interface to be more like Dragon Age: Inquisition. And personally, I'd prefer they fix all the bugs in the PC game first.

I can't imagine anything I'd less want to do than read lots of text on a TV screen, and fiddle around with positioning of my tiny party on a 2D isometric landscape. The more recent XCom games worked because they were full 3D allowing you to pan around and zoom in and out of the environment.

Really looking forward to this one. I was raised on turn-based isometric party RPGS like the SSI gold box games.

It's good to see niche titles like this getting a wider release. Hopefully it sells well enough to give more indie RPG devs incentive to get on ID@Xbox.

Good that it gets a console port, if it makes the devs some money. I don't know if it was part of the kickstarter goal? Bad if it means the PS4 won't get it or get it any time soon - touch-pad + gyro could have helped with the controls. But yeah, it's a game I'd probably play on PC. I got really interested in this game because of the dialog system.

I struggle to imagine many games that are less suited to a console and TV than something like Wasteland 2. And I really, really like Wasteland 2.

For the reasons I have above. It's a turn-based RPG requiring careful tactical positioning of your team (4-7 individuals) on a 2D isometric environment which most of the dialogue and story exposition is delivered through lots and lots of text.

It's a game well suited for a PC where you are close to the screen and able to clearly see the text in the teletype and where the interface hugely benefits from keyboard and mouse input for inventory management. It's nothing that couldn't be fixed but throwing the entire UI out and building a new one from scratch but there's still all that text.

XCOM worked just fine with a controller, and fonts can be made larger or they can add a text magnifier tool.

It's already been stated by the developers that they are reworking UI and controls to better fit a controller. I think they mentioned patching the PC version with a controller option as well as other updates too.

I see no reason for it not to work.

XCOM worked just fine with a controller, and fonts can be made larger or they can add a text magnifier tool.
The recent XCOM games had full 3D environments. A text magnifier tool? That's sounds a great experience!

I see no reason for it not to work.
Have you played a lot of Wasteland 2?

Beat me to it, coming to PS4 as well.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-03-04-wasteland-2-shovel-knight-announced-for-xbox-one

Yes, that's right. Eurogamer has confirmed this already too. Good for the developers, much more sales for this game!

This was on top of my "most wished for PC game for consoles" list. XCOM was number one last gen. I am just a sucker for turn based 2D isometric games like these two titles.
I'd add Heroes of Might and Magic series to that list. Heroes of Might and Magic aren't just games, they are passions. And feelings.

I lost you at MEGATON!!!

Is this really needed here? You like the game, great, but think of B3D as a chic, boutique, upmarket forum where this tone is not received very well.
PC World - the number one site for gaming news! Look, I like Wasteland 2 as well but this statement is absurdly hyperbolic.

This seems like an odd game to port to a console - unless they are going to completely revamp the interface to be more like Dragon Age: Inquisition. And personally, I'd prefer they fix all the bugs in the PC game first.

I can't imagine anything I'd less want to do than read lots of text on a TV screen, and fiddle around with positioning of my tiny party on a 2D isometric landscape. The more recent XCom games worked because they were full 3D allowing you to pan around and zoom in and out of the environment.
I understand your restraint, but I thought the news deserved some embellishment.

And @DSoup , have some faith, I think they can pull it off. Can you imagine some cross-play between platforms?

This was on top of my "most wished for PC game for consoles" list. XCOM was number one last gen. I am just a sucker for turn based 2D isometric games like these two titles.
XCOM hasn't had a 2D isometric world since 2001 :-? The last three XCOM games all used Unreal engine to render a 3D environment which you letting you zoom and rotate the camera to see the environment from any angle. It's a deep turn-based combat strategy game. Wasteland 2 has a fixed camera 2D isometric world. It's a deep text-reliant RPG with basic turn-based combat.

Superficially they look the same but they play nothing alike.

XCOM hasn't had a 2D isometric world since 2001 :-? The last three XCOM games all used Unreal engine to render a 3D environment which you letting you zoom and rotate the camera to see the environment from any angle. It's a deep turn-based combat strategy game. Wasteland 2 has a fixed camera 2D isometric world. It's a deep text-reliant RPG with basic turn-based combat.

Superficially they look the same but they play nothing alike.

You are right. I just lumped them together because of their turn based nature and the fact that most of my fondest memories of XCOM come from earlier titles.

Stop trying to ruin my giddiness with your technical mumbo jumbo and skepticism. LOL

Back