Was Microsoft's DRM meant to be always online?

MfA

Legend
I have a huge problem with understanding how Microsoft's previous DRM scheme was supposed to work in practice. I just don't see how the publishers could agree with it with only a 24 hour connection requirement. Both the single account logons on multiple consoles and the family based sharing would allow multiple people to play a single player game from a single license if the console only needed to be online every 24 hours. The only way to restrict it to a single player at a time is always online.

Did negative publicity already cause Microsoft to change their scheme before we ever saw it, from always online to semi-always online ... but in a way which in the end Microsoft simply couldn't sell the publishers on?

PS. oops, meant to post this in the console forum, oh well.

It was 24hrs offline on your console, 1 hour on other consoles.

I'd have 24h check back if it meant sharing for DD games and no discs required after installation. The PC/console is always connected anyway. We're losing any potential trading of downloaded games too? For those who go download only to avoid a mess of disc changing, we are much more limited with what we can do with that content after this change.

Back