Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Unknown Soldier, Aug 23, 2008.

1. Scott_Arm

Legend

That is a very cool idea. So, people can drop in and out as they please?

Is it more solo friendly? I always preferred groups, but my experience in DAOC was playing a crippled class that no one wanted to group with. They always wanted healer, wizard, tank and nothin' else.

2. xexuxjy

Regular Newcomer

Yup, I've started quite a few quests and given up on phase 2 as no one else was around and I was dieing too much, other times I've joined in at various stages, including just before the final stage 3 death blow :) Nothing locks you into continuing a quest and as it's not instanced but in the main world people do wander in and out all the time.
    On the solo/group side, because of the reasons I mentioned above I've only been playing solo (if you don't count order v destruction batlegrounds/scenarios which are 15 minute segments), so far I've found all the classes i've played (Bright Mage, Sword Dancer, Shaman, Chosen, Engineer) to be pretty fun to solo and not had any major issues. Hard to tell if that will hold true later though.
    Oh one thing I forgot, taking part in the public quests earns you influence points in the region which can be traded in for equipment so you get benefits even if you don't get to the end of the quest. All pretty well thought out.

3. Scott_Arm

Legend

I'm glad to hear there are changes being made to the general mmo mold.

4. saf1

Newcomer

Overall the game is fun. Then again, as with all other mmo's out there - they are what you make of them. Fun, boring, stale, exciting, etc - its all what you make if it - at least in my opinion.

Coming from DaOC (retail release), WoW, SWG, Shadowbane, Age of Conan, etc - this is the standard run of the mill mmo whereas you hack and slash your way through x number of levels until you reach the end state. Main difference is this game is player vs player focused vs that of say WoW which is player vs env...

Someone asked what they did right - here is my take:

1. Public quests
    2. Lore book
    - titles
    - achievements
    - quests
    - lore / history
    3. Player vs player (realm vs realm)
    4. Scenarios (like battle grounds)
    5. Renown ranks (like char levels but based on rvr)
    6. Renown ranks are static - not like wow's arenas
    7. Gain ranks different ways
    - public quests
    - scenarios / pvp
    - standard pve exp quests

Some of the stuff I think they are weak on:
    1. Overall graphic engine is dated
    2. Crafting is weak
    3. Is not user friendly on some quests, UI options, or next area to visit
    4. To me - it is DaOC 2 without pve exp packs masked by a war hammer IP
    5. Quite - game is like playing solo
    - no global trade channel per say
    - Guild / alliance focused (not a bad thing)
    - World chatter is low - so a bit boring for those no guild people

I think it brought some new things to the mmo market that even say wow is cloning. However, at the end of the day I find it hard to see anything new and exciting outside of the lore book. Subjective I know, but it seems like DaOC without Trials of Atlantis and the frontiers content.

When I think of new things that say WoW - I'm thinking Age of Conan and their first 20 levels of pve content. Voice over quests, history, story, and graphics - that was cool as hell. Single player night time quests - again, awsome.

I think if you like pvp - this is a good game for you. I'm having fun in it. It does have some issues. Population balance is key - low server, or lopsided server - I think queue times will be higher for pvp scenarios. Two sides - order and destruction - seems to me (subjective I know) that destruction is always winning or controls keeps - at least on the server I play. Client still crashes on both my comps regardless of time on either. One is vista 32 bit the other xp - client still goes "Poof - f'u, I'm tired of playing...".

Open rvr server
    Bright Wizard
    Lvl 18

5. Mortimer

Newcomer

What I think is great about WAR is the few nice innovations they have with public quests as the best one (the thing about map showin the general area of the quest is another)

What I hate about he game is that they took the Warhammer worls and assraped it to suit the WoW world of just 2 factions on PvP. Chaos never sides with anyone (or the other way around, noone sideswith chaoes to be fucked over). You could have a group of races as the Empire (Humans & Dwarves (they really are friends as much as can) & Elves (with humans, not so much with dwarves), dark elves & skavens (by necessity of sharing the living space of the underground), greenskins (because the lesser people have to follow the strongest leader) and then chaos (all the different people&monsters following DIFFERENT gods of chaos, not friends but "kind of" working together)

Also, you don't get to see "servants of chaos" or something in your local village. There most likely will be a few people that might serve chaos in one way or another, but they don't stand out (at least in the beginning). It's all about subterfuge in the lands of the empire. All the "real" chaos servants and mobs are rare in the heart of empire but as you go out in to the "wild" there will be more (than enough) of them.

They had the great world going for them and a few great ideas to freshen up the MMO genre, but they opted out of it and made a WoW clone with emphasis on PvP (and failed in that with the huge impalance of the sides).

I really would have wanted to like it, but in the end it's just another half assed MMO that came out in the market a few months too early. It just lacks polish. No huge bugs or so but it's just missing the "magic" that WoW has.

6. saf1

Newcomer

I think some of the stuff you are talking about and maybe the lore - not sure which - will be furture content. I can only guess. I believe I have the same overall opinion of you that either lore was not followed or it is lacking...or maybe not really clear within the pve quest lines.

I do hope they can tweak it a bit down the road without destroying the classes and overall game play. When you compare it to other mmo's or the giant WoW - it does not look as polished, but as you said - there are not a lot of major bugs. It is pretty stable for the most part and servers appear to be stable - that is pretty good.

I'm interested to see the subscription rate over the next 6 weeks and see how it does when WoTLK comes out. I think the one thing it really has going for it is the pvp side of the game. Just how large of a subscriber base that is I have no idea. I just know overall that Warcrafts is really not fair nor balanced when 4 classes can pretty much walk away easy mode in Arena's. I think the tournaments alone speak volumes which Blizzard just ignores. All are made up of rogue, warrior, priest, or druid...leaving out the other classes.

7. Skrying

Skrying S K R Y I N G
    Veteran

I think WAR is going to do better than AoC but again it's not going to do that well. PvP is fun, really it is but it's never going to sustain a base alone without major PvE content backing it. That's why WoW is so great. It's everything and not just one area, and while it might not be the best in PvP, it is nearly.

8. aaronspink

Veteran

WoW is lacking in PvP content almost totally. Their model is just broken. In addition, the PvE content really isn't that good. Primarily just copies of copies of copies. To say that WoW is nearly the best in PvP is just a joke, its close to the most unbalanced game in PvP I've ever seen. Its scoring system is totally broken. And really beyond battlegrounds which don't mean anything anyways what is there really. PvP is just a minor sideline in the game.

9. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

Thanks for that chuckle.

10. MfA

MfA
    Legend

They have managed to ship stable mediocrity in which we can see a glimmer of great potential (also while stable it is visually glitchy, the UI is bugged and animation is a mess).

Also at the moment for people in T3 the game basically boils down to Tor Anroc ... and Tor Anroc just isn't a very good game (worst scenario of the lot in fact, the only reason people play it is because it is very fucking fast ... so win or lose you get lots of XP). Paying 15$ a month for playing the same scenario over and over is a bit much.

I hope EA agrees about the potential and gives them the money to really build this game up (it's not finished, a small team working mostly on the next expansion just isn't enough here). I'm sure they made enough from the original sales to finance it. If they just put it on the standard MMORPG slow drip I don't foresee great things.

11. Skrying

Skrying S K R Y I N G
    Veteran

No, and no, and no. But thanks for trying. Next you're going to tell me no one plays it.

12. Daozang

Regular

I just can't get myself to play these games after I played AoC... The combat system feels so boring... In Aoc you are strafing like a madman and every combo counts. In Wow, it feels so static and well, boring...
    Is the combat in WAR like Wow?

13. Mortimer

Newcomer

In my (limited to lowish level) testing I foud it way more boring compared to wow.

14. ban25

Veteran

I don't know about you guys, but I think the PvP system is pretty damn good and as for PQs, well that's something new.

15. Mortimer

Newcomer

Yeah, I think PQ:s are the best (new) feature of WAR amd PvP was done pretty nicely with some new ideas. BUT what else is there besides PvP in the end?

And huge inbalanbce between the factions doesn't help with it being mostly PvP game.

16. aaronspink

Veteran

3/4 classes worth playing at all. 1 of which is a denial death. Yeah PvP is broken in WoW. Their whole system is just a minigame with no real in game consequences.

The PvE and esp the raiding are just rehashes of other game with more tedium added on top. No new mechanics at all.

WoW just took what other games had done and newbiefied it.

17. aaronspink

Veteran

The base mechanics in WAR aren't anything new really. Your old and bored just click a button. What is interesting is the strategy and tactics side of it.

They did a good job of integrating the PvP side of things into all of the abilities from the very beginning, so that things like taunts/detaunts/etc actually are useful and have impact in PvP. because of this, its one of the very few games where tanks actually have a use in PvP besides being ignored.

In a lot of respects the PvP is more similar to guildwars than AoC/WoW. Class balance seems pretty well done as well.

There are also a LOT of synergies between various skills and various classes. And healers really are more than just heal bots in PVP. The other thing that is nice is the impact of CC in PvP is greatly reduced compared to most games. There really aren't any denial death classes so you always have the opportunity to react when attacked.

18. aaronspink

Veteran

imbalances have a way of being worked out. The drop rate for destruction will likely be much higher than order. Right now by far order is both much more fun and much more challenging. All destruction has right now is a massive zerg, which with the way end game PvP is designed won't help as much as most think.

19. Randell

Randell Senior Daddy
    Veteran

PVP is so much better here than in WoW. IMo PVP was better in DAOC than in WOW, so Mythic had a a good base.

The tiering of PVP from the get go, with the _PQ's and a city that also has quests/PQ's inside it much it much more than just a safe bookkeeping area.

People who moan about the 3 races on one side working together being anti WH Lore - well beta testing showed that if each side had a city to defend, the races wouldn't team up, and then the imblances between races wouldn't work, i.e. Empire needs dwarf tanks, elven healers etc. the other races capitals will be released later - once everyone is used to working together to defend cities.

WAR has launched in a much better state than WoW or AOC

20. MfA

MfA
    Legend

Hmmm, I dunno ... Bright Wizards, Witch Elves and Iron Breakers are all a lot better than the alternatives (in either realm).

Out in the open tactics don't really matter, who runs the best trains matters. I think this game would actually benefit from bubbles ...