Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War 3

This is why I'm a PC gamer. :)

By far my most anticipated title from E3. Nothing comes even remotely close.

Announcement trailer from about a month ago.

And gameplay videos from E3.

Eurogamer - The barrels on the gatling cannons on the Titan (big unit, but extremely tiny for a titan) actually heat up and emit light if they are fired for an extended period!

IGN - Shows a tiny bit of the base building. This one has one of the Devs on talking about stuff.

Unfortunately it's still Pre-Alpha, so it'll be a long while still before release. :( I'm guessing it'll be a 2018 title at the earliest. Halo 2 will have to hold me over until then. As well as the Nova DLC for StarCraft 2.

Also cover mechanics have changed. :(

Regards,
SB

I could never get into DoW 2 because of the lack of base building. IMO, real RTSes have tech trees, research and resource gathering. Much of that was just missing from DoW2. If it's back again in 3, then YAY, because the original DoW was one of the best RTSes I've ever played. I did not know this until now, but it would seem I'm rather eagerly awaiting this one, it would seem! ;)

At some point, I would like to see a proper high production values action-adventure RPG game set in the WH40k universe though, but that'd be a different topic of discussion...

Looking great! Nice to see a return to the original style.

Stream footage from PAX

https://www.twitch.tv/cohhcarnage/v/87595433

Gameplay and graphics look amazing. Base building is definitely back (E3 footage was unclear about just how much base building there would be). That makes me happy. I really liked DOW 2, but missed the base building from DOW 1.

Regards,
SB
I heard a lot of complaints when the first gameplay was shown but it looked awesome IMO. The DOW universe is pretty cool and I like good games set in that place.

I do wish they'd let you get Titans though. Man how badass that would be...

Also why don't they just NUKE IT FROM ORBIT if they have spaceships and stuff? What is the point of a Titan in that context?

I heard a lot of complaints when the first gameplay was shown but it looked awesome IMO. The DOW universe is pretty cool and I like good games set in that place.

I do wish they'd let you get Titans though. Man how badass that would be...

Also why don't they just NUKE IT FROM ORBIT if they have spaceships and stuff? What is the point of a Titan in that context?

In the Warhammer 40k universe there are occasions that planets are completely nuked from orbit. However, that renders the planet worthless and unusable but there are cases where it is warranted. Ground operations are required if they want to continue to use the planet.

Besides that, it just wouldn't offer any fun gameplay if all you did was nuke everything from orbit. :)

Regards,
SB

In the Warhammer 40k universe there are occasions that planets are completely nuked from orbit. However, that renders the planet worthless and unusable but there are cases where it is warranted. Ground operations are required if they want to continue to use the planet.

Besides that, it just wouldn't offer any fun gameplay if all you did was nuke everything from orbit. :)

Regards,
SB
Well nuking is a figure of speech, surely they could devastate any enemy ground forces just by flying their spaceships really fast towards the planet and throwing rocks out the window. So I think your latter explanation makes more sense :)

In WH lore, there's planetary void shields and whatnot (planetary defense weapons and so on) that would make such knuckleheaded purely newtonian attacks ineffective. The level of technology available is near the level of magic, in some regards anyhow.

Also, some things just are. These people are all insane, and they love to fight and kill each other, of course they're going to do it by choking the life out of each other by hand, almost medieval-melee-style... Otherwise, there'd be no point to the board game, or books. Or video games. :D

In WH lore, there's planetary void shields and whatnot (planetary defense weapons and so on) that would make such knuckleheaded purely newtonian attacks ineffective. The level of technology available is near the level of magic, in some regards anyhow.

Magic and more is definitely part of the Warhammer 40k universe. Heck, Orcs operate on belief. Not technology or magic. Their spaceships fly, not because they can mechanically fly or that they've been magically enchanted. They fly because the Orcs believe they can fly. And due to their beliefs, red Orc spaceships actually do fly faster. Not at all kidding about this. Orcs are also born from spores. The spores are created from their dead bodies. An Orc infested planet is one of the few cases where humanity will cleanse the planet (nuked from orbit until nothing living remains) because it is almost impossible to completely wipe out an Orc infestation otherwise.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Orcs are also born from seeds.
From what I understand, biologically they're some sort of fungus... :LOL: Or, at least their proto-stages they are, I would think; when they grow large enough to walk and talk, one would assume they count as a creature. ;) And their blood is also laced with these seeds/spores IIRC, so if you injure them you just further their spread.

And btw, red LEDs make computer hardware run faster - of course the same is true with Ork spaceships.

From what I understand, biologically they're some sort of fungus... :LOL: Or, at least their proto-stages they are, I would think; when they grow large enough to walk and talk, one would assume they count as a creature. ;) And their blood is also laced with these seeds IIRC, so if you injure them you just further their spread.

Yup, I actually just corrected my wording. Born from spores and not seeds. :D

Regards,
SB

OK, game is finally released. I've only gone through the tutorials so far to get a feel for what may have changed.

Graphics.
  • Graphics are pretty good for an RTS
  • Very little ability to customize graphics options for performance versus quality. Hugely disappointing.
  • Resolution scaler only goes down and not up. So you can reduce rendering resolution to get some performance, but can't increase rendering resolution for supersampling. More sighs.
  • There's an option for AA, but it uses FXAA. Tooltip implies that some form of SSAA is used to some extent for Medium and High.
Gameplay
  • There is no more environmental cover. WTF??? The only cover available is heavy cover which needs to be captured. Or shielded positions. Sigh.
  • Multiplayer now has elements taken from MOBAs. You have to take down key enemy structures in a chain. Key structures further back in the chain (like the Power core) are invulnerable until structures further up the chain (turrets) are destroyed. Might be interesting. Certainly prevents rushing to a degree.
  • Elites rather than just using a LOT more resources than regular units now require a specific resource (Elite points).
  • No key rebinds. Bleh.
  • I think there's also now a multiplayer progression system.
  • No Last Stand mode. Hugely disappointed. Hopefully they implement this mode sometime in the future as it was my favorite game mode for DOW 2.
First impressions from the tutorials? Feels like a step backwards in almost all areas except for graphics. Multiplayer might be better with the change towards a MOBA like victory condition. I think general availability of cover was removed to improve the speed and flow of multiplayer. Not a fan of the removal of general cover.

Here's to hoping that the single player campaign is good and that it'll show off any positive changes to gameplay that have been made over the previous games.

[edit] Forgot to add one more important thing. The game operates in borderless windowed mode by default and there is no windowed mode option in game. However, like the previous games you can set a launch option in steam to enable windowed mode (-window). I prefer my games to not take up the entire screen.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm about 5 or 6 missions in now, and I have to say it's fairly disappointing.

The removal of general cover completely alters the feel of the game.

The hard cover mechanic is horrible, IMO.
  • It needs to be captured to be used, which takes some time.
  • Units within the shield bubble that goes up once captured are invulnerable to ranged damage until it is destroyed. This takes a while.
  • Melee units can enter the bubble and do normal damage once engaged.
Almost all units now have a special ability. This means to properly use all units requires a LOT of micromanagement. On the surface this sounds like it would require more micro-management skills than StarCraft 2. But that's not the case as in SC2 you have to micro abilities, unit placement, and unit movement (on an individual basis at times). Unit (units are squad based) movement in DOW is clunky. So you rarely micro squad movement to the degree that exists in SC2.

In previous DOW games the rather clunky squad based movement (you control the movement of the squad and not the individual units in the squad) is compensated by the existence of cover. But with no cover, combat becomes more clunky with imprecise squad movement combined with virtually every unit having an ability. This is then compounded by there being no key rebinding or anything in game to tell you what the hotkeys are. IE - I still don't know if there is a hotkey to switch which unit is "highlighted" within a control group to use the skills of that unit without deselecting the control group. This then makes trying to make effective use of squad abilities in combat very clunky.

All of this is further exacerbated by there not being comprehensive unit controls. In an effort to reduce some of the micromanagement, they've attempted to make the units operate more intelligently. In some ways this works. Attack moving will have units prioritizing targets they are most effective against, for example. However, on the flip side there is no "hold your ground" unit stance that prevents them from moving out of position. So they'll happily move out of position to engage something that is slightly out of range, but then move back to their original position after a relatively short distance (short lease range).

For casual players or players that don't want to micromanage this is something that might be good. As it prevents a unit from not retaliating against something that is just slightly out of range. But for experienced players this is easy to exploit and take advantage of by baiting a unit or two out of position to slaughter while the rest of the units just stand there. This can be especially infuriating if you are trying to position a squad of mobile units in front of a squad of relatively immobile units (units that require a short setup time before they can fire). Again this was something that wasn't a bad thing when there was general cover as units would stick to cover. So having this sort of fuzzy logic didn't hurt much in previous games. But without the cover mechanic, it falls apart.

In some ways it feels like they were trying to make DOW3 console friendly, but with no console version announced, it leaves me scratching my head about how this is a step backwards in so many ways from DOW 1 and 2.

As to whether the single player can save it? So far, the campaign is underwhelming. Maps are up to this point relatively small. AI on normal difficulty is pretty stupid. The story comes across as somewhat disjointed as every mission progression goes Human -> Orc -> Eldar, repeat. I can see how they are trying to keep the storyline cohesive as events are happening in a similar timeframe. But it feels disjointed as you go from the Human storyline to the Orc side of it, then the Eldar side of it. Meh, maybe it gets better further in.

For anyone interested in the Warhammer universe, I'd say hold off until it's on sale.

This is the first Relic RTS where I've felt a bit disappointed. It makes me wonder what is going on over at Relic and if things have changed drastically there under SEGA ownership.

Regards,
SB

Back