Volari

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by PatrickL, Dec 14, 2003.

1. PatrickL

Veteran

I wanted to share that link: http://www.hardware.fr/news/lire/12-12-2003/

It is the first time i see Marc post a warning like that.

To make a long story short, Hardware.fr could not get a card to test from Xgi nor club3d so they decided to buy one to test. And before tests are all made they felt the need to post a warning to all customers about that card being actually really crappy :)

Good advice to save money before christmas gifts.

2. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

"Ouch!", is the first thing that springs to my mind. :shock:

3. parhelia

Newcomer

Specs : AMD AthlonXP 1600+, ECS K7S5A, 384MB DDR2100, XGI Volari V8 Ultra (SINGLE CHIP version)

Not the new drivers, but some internal set (if you must know, it's
    XGI Reactor V1.01.01-test04)

-Trilinear seems to be working fine
    -AF still doesn't seem to be working
    -Also, AA performance seems to have gotten better:

UT 2003 Demo - benchmark mode:
    Flyby: 117.64 fps
    Botmatch: 47,72 fps
    Using the command stat fps: ~70 fps in the game
    With FSAA2x: ~55 to 60 fps

Firestarter Demo :
    Game Benchmark - FPS Average = 170.61
    Fast Bench - FPS Average = 124.93
    With FSAA 2x - Fast Bench FPS Average = 108.75

X2-The Threat : 30.876 fps in high detail (everything enabled, including shadows)

Aquamark 3 - With the V8Ultra:
    AquaMark Score: 25502

3DMARK 2003 : 2455 3D Marks, which is higher than with the Reactors 1.00.00
    Using the Futuremark online tests, this score is on par with the 9600 with similar specs...

btw, that's the Volari V8 Ultra score, i.e. single chip card

4. Tagrineth

Tagrineth SNAKES... ON A PLANE
    Veteran

That doesn't sound too bad, but in that case it looks like the Duo has HUGE problems with multichip. :(

5. micron

micron Diamond Viper 550
    Veteran

I agree, those scores are totally on par with a 9600 non pro...

6. 3dilettante

Legend Alpha

I guess it will depend what price point the card will settle at. I would think selling it at a R9600 np price might even be too much, considering the current non-functionality of AF and the dodgy driver status.

I'm also wondering what kind of IQ the card has when it returns the results. Considering that both ancestor companies to XGI resorted to quality reductions, the temptation to do so again is probably pretty strong.

Here's a depressing thought:

What if the 3d graphics field has reached such a rarified environment that only the top IHVs are capable of releasing architectures of any reasonable consequence with any reasonable expectation of a successful launch?

Consider the fact that of the two top companies, at least one has had quite a bit of trouble, despite being in the upper echelon of experience and technology.

Have things gotten so difficult that a company can only make it if it is already in in lead group? It certainly seems that way at present, as other companies have stumbled in regards to performance and product introduction, even as the largest competitors prepare to release a new generation of hardware by the time the neophytes even get a decent amount of hardware to the market.

7. Ostsol

Veteran

Um. . . I don't think that "dodgy drivers" is a reason to lower the price. . . Drivers are software, so they can be fixed. What would they do when the drivers get better? Raise the price? :?

8. 3dilettante

Legend Alpha

No, but the lack of a full feature set due to the drivers not being up to snuff means that the card is a lower value compared to a Radeon 9600, should they happen to charge the same price. I was not clear in making the distinction between pricing and value in my previous post.

9. StealthHawk

Regular

Assuming that they ever do get everything in working order. It certainly isn't fair to ask for "full price" for a crippled (because of drivers) product that may or may not ever be fixed, let alone fixed in a timely manner. Just more proof that this product shouldn't have been launched yet, it's not ready.

10. Ostsol

Veteran

Heheheh. . . As NVidia showed us with the NV30: launch does not equate imminent release! ;)

Seriously, though, I can subjectively agree with you, but I cannot honestly expect any business would lower the price of a product even with a number of features aren't yet up and working fully in drivers.

11. Tim Murray

Tim Murray the Windom Earle of mobile SOCs
    Veteran

but then by the time the drivers were ready, the hardware would be extremely crappy, and the prices still wouldn't have come down that much.

damned if you do, damned if you don't. here's hoping for Volari 2.

12. Tridam

Regular Subscriber

Volaris are available in Europe ;)

13. Ostsol

Veteran

Yeah, I forgot about that link someone once posted to Hardware.fr. . .

EDIT: . . . in this thread. . . :p

14. StealthHawk

Regular

I would hope to God that it isn't that hard to implement drivers which unlock trilinear filtering or AF! These aren't exactly super new concepts. And if what we hear about the dual Volari's not using the second chip...well damn, that's completely unacceptable.

15. CorwinB

Regular

No, but those are concepts that sadly seem to be dying quickly... :cry:

IIRC, the V5 had a bug that disabled the second chip in high resolutions (1600x1200 I think) in OpenGL. But at least it worked most of the time.

16. arjan de lumens

Veteran

Possibly. From the looks of it, it seems like this (all my opinion only, FWIW):
    • The SiS/XGI team have twice (first Xabre, then Volari) designed architectures with what to me looks like inefficient texture and framebuffer caches, with less than stellar performance as the result. Also, not having at least Multisample AA when the competition has had it for 2+ years indicate bad planning as well.
    • 3dlabs too seems unable to make an efficient texture mapper, although image quality and T&L performance are strong.
    • Matrox has (had?) a good engineering team, but marketing indecision and lack of resources led to the Parhelia disaster; it will probably take at least a few years before they dare try to do high-end GPUs again.
    • ImgTech and Bitboys seem to have the necessary knowhow to make good GPUs, but lack the resources/contacts to break through.
    • S3, with its DeltaChrome, seems just plain missing in action ...
    • Any others that I have forgotten?

17. Tim Murray

Tim Murray the Windom Earle of mobile SOCs
    Veteran

Arjan, what do you think about the state of Series 5?

18. arjan de lumens

Veteran

This is just guesswork : it looks like a capable PS/VS3.0 design whose success depends primarily on whether ImgTech finds a partner to manufacture the chip in time to keep it comptetitive (as they barely did with Series3 and failed to do with Series4).

19. Ante P

Veteran

"catastrophique"

oh la la

seems as if the Volari sucks on the french baguette ;)

20. Rugor

Newcomer

Parhelia, are you the person who posted the performance sample on the single V8 at Volarigamers?

If so, I have to suggest that the system you are using is probably not what's holding back 3DMark03 performance since those scores are generally not affected much by anything except the graphics card.