Volari V5 XE

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by obobski, Mar 5, 2006.

1. obobski

Newcomer

http://www.xgitech.com/products/products_2.asp?P=21

What is "pachinko" ?
    I understand the arcade game avenue, but I don't know what the meaning of "pachinko" is...

What is the target of the V5? render farms and arcades? or something i'm not understanding?

and is it me, or is XGI seemingly moving out of the desktop 3D market and into the embedded market to compete with things more along the lines of PowerVR instead of ATI/NV

2. Farid

Farid Artist formely known as Vysez
    Veteran Subscriber

http://www.thejapanfaq.com/pachinko-kikai.jpg

The pachinko is the Japaneses favorite gambling machine slot.

Some of them, like the western slots machines, have video screen with animations and such.

PVR is already on this market, if I remeber correctly, they signed some deal with SegaSammy.

3. amk

amk
    Newcomer

4. Blazkowicz

Legend Veteran

Volari V5 was a volari V8 with half the pipelines. (that's V8 from the infamous Volari V8 Duo, and there was to be a V5 Duo as well). looks like it's an embedded version.

what happened to Volari 8300 and 8600?
    there were reviews of the 8300 (which is to compare with 6200TC and X300SE). like latest S3 GPU, pixel shaders were at least of normal speed instead of slightly better than geforce FX. 8600 would be the 8 pipeline, mid-range version with 192bit bus (!)

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=191&num=1

#4 Blazkowicz, Mar 6, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2006
  5. Mendel

Mendel Mr. Upgrade
    Veteran

Ati bought them though, didn't it? Wouldn't that change the picture somewhat?

6. Fodder

Fodder Stealth Nerd
    Veteran

ATI only bought the Shanghai and Santa Clara operations, I believe there's still a chunk in Taipei that's refocusing to handheld chips (and presumably selling existing hardware).

#6 Fodder, Mar 14, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2006
  7. obobski

Newcomer

didn't the Voodoo2 use a 192-bit bus?

8. Guden Oden

Guden Oden Senior Member
    Legend

Nah, it had three separate buses, at least two of them 64 bits and I can't remember width of the third, 32 or possibly 64 bits there as well. They used pretty stinkin' fast EDORAM on those cards as I recall, 100MHz clock I read somewhere, but it might only have applied to either texturing or rasterizer buses, I'm not sure. As I recall, some of the memory chips were only actually rated at 90MHz so either that/those buses ran slower or they overclocked the memory...

9. Blazkowicz

Legend Veteran

look at a voodoo2 : the GPU consists in 3 chips (plus one small chip which is the RAMDAC). one is the Frame Buffer Interface (what we'd call the ROP), and the two others are TMUs. Each of the three chips has 64bit wide access to 4MB of RAM (eight 512KB chips).
    clocks were always 90/90.
    yes, some rare or later models had 100MHz rated memory chips (like on banshee), and I saw a picture of a voodoo2 with both 90 and 100MHz chips ;)

interestingly, there was a dual TMU Voodoo1 as well, made by Quantum3D, and a SLI version of it.
    Volari 192bit bus would be different : a single chip GPU with 12 (?) ram chips.

#9 Blazkowicz, Mar 18, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2006
  10. AlexV

AlexV Heteroscedasticitate
    Moderator Veteran

I have some pdfs of theirs where they explain their possible memory arrangement, if anyone is interested I could dig those up. The fact is that we`ll probably never see the XG45, the card that was meant to sport the 192-bit bus, or anything else worth noting from them. Taipei is the crew that designed the V5, V8 and V3xt, AFAIK they`re the SIS guys, ATI wanted the Trident dudes.