Vista/WinXP layout: Aero/XP or Classic Windows?

Do you use Aero or Classic Windows

• Aero

Votes: 22 78.6%
  • Classic

Votes: 6 21.4%

• Total voters

mito

beyond noob
Veteran
I use Classic Windows under Vista and XP because it's cleaner and not that clogged.

In XP I've run Classic Windows for the past 8 years.

In Vista I run Aero, if only because it looks different from what I've run for the past 8 years.

Aero glass. Coz it looks purdy.

And I like dreamscene.

Ok so it's a memory hog perhaps. Hwo cares? :LOL:

I'll put another 2 gigs into this box some day. Then it own't matter.
Peace.

I use Windows classic in XP. IMO, Luna (XP) interface sucks. Aero, however, is a different story. If I had Vista, I would've used it. It looks really good.

I like and have used both XP's and Vista's theme. My wife has put her Vista back into 2k mode though, as she had too many new things to deal with already, so anything she could do to make it more like she was used to ... :D

Mito:
No, I can't say I do - personally anyway.

I just opened the entire control panel almost plus a couple other windosw and a large IE7 browser window and there's no noticeable slowdown.

CPU use is roughly 16% according to the task manager while dragging around the IE window (the larges tone). That's probably less than what I saw in a similar situation under XP. Or at least not more anyway. Windows has always been good at gobbling CPU when scrolling/moving around windows.

Aero does get noticeably "unsmoother" though if there's windowed 3D going on at the same time. Iguess tioday's 3D accelerators aren't good at multitasking.. Then again XP could behave oddly if you did thhings like windowed 3D and windowed video at the same time etc. Mighty big slowdown or ropping frames like crazy and so on.

But the dreamscene desktop does not seem to affect GUI performance at all from what I can tell.

Not that xp was great or anything but at least you can change it
aero is ugly imho (maybe it looks better than it does in screenshots)

Aero

Xp Coperdeck2 theme

Darkcmd Theme

Last edited by a moderator:
The only issue I have with the XP theme is you only have 3 choices of colour.
The silver is ok except that its got a green start menu button & selected items are a horrid orange.

If they'd given you the same control as you have over the Classic theme then I think everyone would have just used that in the colour scheme of their choice.

The only issue I have with the XP theme is you only have 3 choices of colour.
The silver is ok except that its got a green start menu button & selected items are a horrid orange.

If they'd given you the same control as you have over the Classic theme then I think everyone would have just used that in the colour scheme of their choice.

Get the Zune desktop theme for Windows XP.

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=75078

I was a "classic theme" fan myself even through XP ("Luna" and "Royale" were ugly), but in every single PC i've tested with Vista the classic mode always seems to be slower than AERO, so i just kept it as is.
AERO is not bad at all.

Back