Vista: swap MBR and data to new HDD?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware, Software and Displays' started by Jimmers, May 31, 2008.

1. Jimmers

Newcomer

I've got Vista running on a paltry 80 GB drive right now. I'd like to get a bigger drive, but when I rebuilt my machine previously, I had to call MS to get the "Genuine" seal of approval back.

Anyways, what's the best way to do this? Should I just install the drive, and can Vista automatically move all my stuff over? I plan on trashing the 80 GB drive, as I don't want to have more than 1 drive for Vista (I already have another drive for other OSs).

2. Davros

Legend

are you in england can i have it please ?

3. Sxotty

Legend Veteran

4. Davros

Legend

so the answer is no you cant at least if you use the same program sxotty used

5. Jimmers

Newcomer

Bah, well I guess I'll just reinstall Vista on a new drive and deal with the Genuine nonsense again.

6. Sxotty

Legend Veteran

Yes you can, you just can't do it the way I did.

It would not work b/c I went from IDE-->SATA as well.

If he is not doing it then it isn't a problem. SATA-->SATA works.

And I might add, using a CD outside of windows to clone it migher be a better choice.

If you do though you will need something like partition magic afterward to expand the partition, or you end up with 80GB and then the leftover.