Vista Premium Specs and Graphics IHVs

Geo

Mostly Harmless
Legend
According to Dailytech, MS has finally released the specs to qualify hardware for the "Premium" labeling.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=2411

• Pixel Shader 2.0 in hardware
  • 32 bits per pixel
  • 64 MB of graphics memory to support a single monitor less than 1,310,720 pixels
  • 128 MB of graphics memory to support a single monitor at resolutions from 1,310,720 to 2,304,000 pixels
  • 256 MB of graphics memory to support a single monitor at resolutions higher than 2,304,000 pixels
  • Meets graphics memory bandwidth requirements, as assessed by Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor running on Windows XP

I have no idea how squishy that last requirement is, whether it is well understood what that means in a practical mb/s sense, and/or how that compares to the pcie bandwidth for IGP implementations.

Anyway, the question is, will current IGP parts from NV/ATI be able to meet this spec? If not, will the next generation?

Anyone else surprised to not see some h.264 minimum requirement there?

...and to think my 82865G integrated gfx at work performs much more advanced eye-candy stuff than Vista's, with the help of Linux and AIGLX.. talk about efficient coding from MS :LOL:

Kombatant said:
...and to think my 82865G integrated gfx at work performs much more advanced eye-candy stuff than Vista's, with the help of Linux and AIGLX.. talk about efficient coding from MS :LOL:

Just wait for the next next version of Windows to come out ;)

Back