Vista Opinions

It's much easier for the technically savvy to know what is running and how to turn things off than the technically incompetent to try and understand whether they want to turn on an option that they have no idea what it really does or how it will help them.

I think MS needs competition in the OS department, the inbrededness is just getting worse, not better. More complex is bad, not good, being inefficient is bad, not good. :)

I personally think everything that MS could have done wrong, they have. Vista is a far cry from what was originally promised and shown some 5 years ago with Longhorn. Somewhere along the line it's like they realized they had the right ideas but implemented them wrong in their complacency then realized they had to get something out the door but didn't have enough time to do it right since they had to restart from scratch.

Erm I installed it on a 13GB partition and have 5GB free and 2.3GB is taken up by the hibernation file and the pagefile.
It actually said it only needed like 7GB free to install.
It also only took 20 minutes to install on my 3200+ A64.
The first boot was slow but after that it's on par with XP, even logging in is near instant.
UAC is less annoying then previously but it's easily disabled.
Also for some reason all the files from before the vista install didn't have rights so I had to turn off UAC and make em mine, that is my only real complaint.
I won't waste any more time on your complaints because frankly they're do to your apparent lack of experience with even XP, ill do one... I disabled the security center warnings within 10 seconds of it popping up...
I have only used beta 2 before this so it's not like I knew where everything was..

RC1 vista is very very good for what it is (the first major windows version since like windows 2000), the new UI is ok but flip3d is retarded, expose` is far superior, it's just a fancy version of the new alt tab, only diff is the widows are bigger and in real time.
Either fully ripoff expose` or don't do it at all, it's a halfass attempt atm.

Try installing Vista on a notebook with a 5400 RPM drive and a typical laptop optical drive and tell me about 20 mins. Hell I'm sure it took longer than that on my friend's dual core A64, 2GB, Raptor.

Good point on the hib file and swap size. Hadn't thought of the hib file, and it would be a gig on that machine. The machine is a A64 3000+ w/R9600, btw.

While my apparently blinding ignorance caused you to give up on my post, I gave up reading your post due to its indecipherable punctuation. Ha ha. Please do continue explaining my limitations. Thx. And, while you're at it, continue explaining why this OS deserves to be defended.

I guess I'm just not all gee-whizzed over the annoying shine and flipping windows. It's slower and it's obviously loaded with helpful-for-noobs crap. This is to be expected from MS of course, considering their target audience. However, I must say that it's not impressive to me. There are situations when 98 and 2K will run worse than XP, but good luck finding that with Vista vs. XP for the typical user. Other than the convenient-for-MS D3D10 setup, of course.

And like has been said a bazillion times, so much has been cut out of Vista it probably deserves to be called NT 5.2.

I personally think everything that MS could have done wrong, they have. Vista is a far cry from what was originally promised and shown some 5 years ago with Longhorn. Somewhere along the line it's like they realized they had the right ideas but implemented them wrong in their complacency then realized they had to get something out the door but didn't have enough time to do it right since they had to restart from scratch.

What he said.

Try installing Vista on a notebook with a 5400 RPM drive and a typical laptop optical drive and tell me about 20 mins. Hell I'm sure it took longer than that on my friend's dual core A64, 2GB, Raptor.

Good point on the hib file and swap size. Hadn't thought of the hib file, and it would be a gig on that machine. The machine is a A64 3000+ w/R9600, btw.

While my apparently blinding ignorance caused you to give up on my post, I gave up reading your post due to its indecipherable punctuation. Ha ha. Please do continue explaining my limitations. Thx. And, while you're at it, continue explaining why this OS deserves to be defended.

I guess I'm just not all gee-whizzed over the annoying shine and flipping windows. It's slower and it's obviously loaded with helpful-for-noobs crap. This is to be expected from MS of course, considering their target audience. However, I must say that it's not impressive to me. There are situations when 98 and 2K will run worse than XP, but good luck finding that with Vista vs. XP for the typical user. Other than the convenient-for-MS D3D10 setup, of course.

And like has been said a bazillion times, so much has been cut out of Vista it probably deserves to be called NT 5.2.

What he said.
I read your whole post, I just wasn't going to correct everything wrong with it.
to learn how to disable UAC just use this search string for google "UAC disable vista"
after about 10 minutes fucking around with vista I typed that in and in a reboot no more annoying UAC.
Install times of course vary with systems, even around the same speed.
It took 20-25 minutes for me and it's actually on par with xp, actually better in some parts with UI speed.
RC1 is a major turning point for vista and you would realize and acknowledge had if you ran the previous betas.

It's a HUGE improvement over beta 2 and it's finally usable.
Why should it be defended?
Well did you think XP really deserved a totally new name?
XP was just really a minor GUI update with a few things under of the hood.
Vista is a major upgrade from XP and is the first major windows release since win2k.
It also can only get faster once the the final version ships and I have faith it will be atleast as fast as XP.
As I said, flip3d is a halfassed attempt and I'm sure all the apple ******s will have a field day when it gets released saying stuff like "all that wait and they still can't make a product that compares to osx".

to learn how to disable UAC just use this search string for google "UAC disable vista"

If you're just going to disable it it's not really a feature is it. The idea was good but implemented horribly.

Vista is a major upgrade from XP and is the first major windows release since win2k.

Why? Because it has a new kernel? A kernel that shows no visible improvements other than programs start up a little faster. It's hardly very major when the biggest differences are a new UI and D3D10.

If you're just going to disable it it's not really a feature is it. The idea was good but implemented horribly.

Why? Because it has a new kernel? A kernel that shows no visible improvements other than programs start up a little faster. It's hardly very major when the biggest differences are a new UI and D3D10.
and xp was a huge improvement over win2k :rolleyes:

Maybe not to you, but its still a feature of the OS.

What so many miss here is that MS doesnt care what you all think really. As long as Vista looks good and is a bit more secure than XP then its a win for them.

Well here's my experience with Vista x64 and x86:
-It's pretty but that prettyness makes things kinda slow. i.e. resizing windows by stretching is pretty choppy. And it makes your video card heat up just browsing the web. Makes a laptop run even warmer, and people with temp/activity sensitive GPU fans will be unhappy.

I didn't have any problem at all with choppy resizing and general aero usage, was pretty fast on my x1600.

-IE 7 is a blatant copy of Firefox/Opera.

yeah it is.... isn't that a GOOD thing?

-Start Menu is busier and more confusingly "people oriented" than ever.

I find the new start menu much better than previous versions. No more windows tiling out from each other, each progressive folder opens in the same start menu reducing the movement required and keeping everything tucked nice and neat in the one area. And the new windows -> search function is fantastic allowing you to simply start typing a program you want to use and voila it's there.
[/quote]

Is there a way to bypass the stupid confirmation windows for running seemingly every system app?

Not sure what you mean. The same functionality introduced in later versions of IE and windows updates warning when you run unknown .exe's? You can turn that off but it's not really that intrusive to me.

Also the new control panel I find im actually keeping the default view. Instead of having all the icons, or a bunch of just catagories, they actually have the main catacogires with common functions linked beneath them as well. I find it quite intuitive and handy to use.

oh and flip3d whilst impressive seeing it function with games and videos running whilst flipping trough them, I doubt i'd ever use it, but who knows *shrug*.

Last edited by a moderator:
-Start Menu is busier and more confusingly "people oriented" than ever.
Ok, criticize Vista all you want, but the start menu is such a huge improvement over all previous versions of Windows that it's not even in the same league. No, I'm not talking about superficial stuff like the reshuffling of folder views or similar fluff: What I'm talking about is the launch-by-typing functionality. I don't think I've actually had to navigate my program tree in Vista even once so far.

Basically, they took the LuXr app launcher plugin and put it in the start menu :smile:

no, NT 5.2 already exists, it's windows XP but more tested and with an improved kernel (seems to be a bit better at scheduling and swapping), and sold under the name of windows server 2003 (plus 64bit versions : XP pro x64 and server 2003 x64).

(I'm using it, as I can't afford to pay for windows it doen't make a difference if I'm using 2003 instead of 2k or XP pro)
the rumoured XP reloaded was probably NT 5.2, it would have been a great release probably.

no, NT 5.2 already exists, it's windows XP but more tested and with an improved kernel (seems to be a bit better at scheduling and swapping), and sold under the name of windows server 2003 (plus 64bit versions : XP pro x64 and server 2003 x64).

(I'm using it, as I can't afford to pay for windows it doen't make a difference if I'm using 2003 instead of 2k or XP pro)
the rumoured XP reloaded was probably NT 5.2, it would have been a great release probably.

Well, technically no. Windows NT 5.1 is Windows XP, and Windows NT 5.2 is Server 2003. Want to test this? Type "ver" at the command prompt in either, and watch the resulting version number :)

Ninja edit Well shit, I missed the part where you clearly said "but sold under the name of windows server 2003". My bad :(

Ok I'll digress on the Start Menu complaint. It is actually nicer in quite a few ways. Some things about it are just dumb though, like extra clicks to really shut down, and yet more happy easy dumb people folders.

Oops I forgot Windows 2003 was NT 5.2. So Vista should be NT 5.3. :)

My problem is part of me is still stuck in DOS. I like to call folders directories and don't like using My Docs or My Music, etc. I make my own folders and try to rid the OS of the MS people-friendly stuff. There's a lot more of this stuff to bend to my will in Vista.

BTW, why do so many games not run in Vista? Anyone else have big probs with this? A friend of mine has had difficulty with quite a few games. I tried Unreal II (had it on other comp and just transferred it) and it won't start up at all.

It's a HUGE improvement over beta 2 and it's finally usable.

I ran an older Beta like a year ago or so. Not sure which beta. I remember giggling over how so much of it looked exactly like XP once you got into the control panel and system settings, etc.

That UAC thing is just another new annoyance. Yay. How many people will be driven nuts over that and need to Google it? LOL. The OS asking the user if it should be able to load applets. Heh Heh.

Installed RC1 a couple of days ago. Overall I'm liking it so far, at least from an aesthetic standpoint.

Question: Apologies in advance for being a n00b, but just how safe and secure is RC1? Can I install my existing XP anti-virus/firewall combo and expect it to work? Conversly, is RC1 (Vista)'s built-in anti-malware and/or firewall to be trusted?

In layman's, can I risk doing something such as entering my credit card details on a 'secure' website?...

Ok I'll digress on the Start Menu complaint. It is actually nicer in quite a few ways. Some things about it are just dumb though, like extra clicks to really shut down, and yet more happy easy dumb people folders.

Oops I forgot Windows 2003 was NT 5.2. So Vista should be NT 5.3. :)

My problem is part of me is still stuck in DOS. I like to call folders directories and don't like using My Docs or My Music, etc. I make my own folders and try to rid the OS of the MS people-friendly stuff. There's a lot more of this stuff to bend to my will in Vista.

BTW, why do so many games not run in Vista? Anyone else have big probs with this? A friend of mine has had difficulty with quite a few games. I tried Unreal II (had it on other comp and just transferred it) and it won't start up at all.

I ran an older Beta like a year ago or so. Not sure which beta. I remember giggling over how so much of it looked exactly like XP once you got into the control panel and system settings, etc.

That UAC thing is just another new annoyance. Yay. How many people will be driven nuts over that and need to Google it? LOL. The OS asking the user if it should be able to load applets. Heh Heh.
Why don't games run on it?
Gee I dunno, it's not a beta or anything with a new graphics api ;)
Right now the reason to install vista is just to dick around a bit and check it out.
I think rc2 might be the one that will be very close to being able to run everything and replace xp.
I don't at all mind my documents and the subfolders within since I redirect that to another (much bigger) HD.

How does one go about getting rid of Security Center? In XP one could just disable the service. In Vista if you do that you get another layer of security warnings about it being disabled lol.

http://www.chris123nt.com/guides/5365/
This seems a bit extreme. And ridiculous.

In the coming days (once I organise and backup my files), I'm going to load up Vista on my other computer and use it as a server. You know, put all those streaming media functions to the test. Should be interesting. If I can get my brother to install Vista, I could even hook it into the TV/console/surround sound system (they all connect to his computer one way or another).

Running RC1... the only hardware problem I have is that my wireless PCI card won't install (linksys). Sort of a problem because this is my HTPC here ;)

Aero is pretty nice...but it's pretty annoying listening to my video card's fan spin up and down all the time. Performance is ok on my 7600GT @1280x768, but running chess got a little sluggish (with HQ settings to make it look Awesome).

I'm growing to like the new user folder. I'm hating all the default shortcuts in the start menu. Is there a way to bypass the login screen? I haven't really checked the inner workings of the CP yet.

Back