Vista licenses OEM vs Retail

Malo

Yak Mechanicum
Legend
Supporter
I'm trying to look at the best way to upgrade my home to Vista. Newegg is currently selling all the Vista versions OEMs for a nice price however there's much confusion as to what im able to do with them, as opposed to retail. Can't seem to find the information on Microsoft's site. From what I understood, the retail version allows you to "uninstall" from a computer and install on a new one at least once, whereas the OEM version is locked to that specific computer (eg. motherboard) forever and doesn't allow transfer.

I'd like Ultimate though im not that worried but for $199 OEM i'd go for it. I also noticed the mention of the Family offer in this forum that gives you a Home Premium license with an Ultimate Retail for $49 which I might look at if the OEMs don't suit me. Would like a Premium for my wife's PC.

Basically I don't want to be locked down to just 1 install as I'll definitely upgrade sometime but will still be using Vista of course. However since an OEM is less than half the price of a retail, and they stay that price, would it be so bad having to buy another OEM down the track if I changed computers since 2 of them would be cheaper than 1 retail?

So does anyone have concrete information on how the Retail vs OEM licenses work?

Are you sure that a single OEM "Ultimate" license is less than 50% the cost of a retail "Ultimate" license? Because last I recall, the Ultimate Retail was gonna be $259 and currently the Ultimate OEM is going for $189 at NewEgg.

So perhaps I am wrong on the retail price?

Edit Well, shit I guess I was. I very distinctly remember hearing $259, but that doesn't Jive with the $399 pricetag I see on Google. I need to go find where I saw that $259 pricetag...

From what I understood, the retail version allows you to "uninstall" from a computer and install on a new one at least once
They backed off the single transfer wording, so as it stands, you have the right to have it installed and use it on one computer, but that one computer may change more than once.
whereas the OEM version is locked to that specific computer (eg. motherboard) forever and doesn't allow transfer.
Legally, it's bound to the qualifying hardware component with which you bought the OEM-license. You no longer use that component, you no longer qualify (they used to have provisions for catastrophic hardware failure though; I haven't read the latest wordings). For licenses bought with a complete PC it's really up to MS discretion what this is, but swap the boot HD and motherboard, and you're definitely over the threshold.
Basically I don't want to be locked down to just 1 install as I'll definitely upgrade sometime but will still be using Vista of course.
With a retail copy you should be able to just reactivate it, no hassle. With an OEM copy, MS have been sending the signal that the threshold for automatic reactivation have been raised slightly, but the leniency if it fails (i.e. you get the call us screen) might be reduced.

Say, you have two licenced Vsta PCs (OEM). One hard drive fails, and you use the opertunity of the reinstall to swap parts around between the computers to better suit your needs. After this both PCs need to be reactivated. Now: Do you still have two, one, or zero valid Vista licenses?

At this point, only MS knows (maybe, even they might not know), and no one really knows how they'll handle it.

Yeah MSRP is $399 on Ultimate. Sure you get support etc with Retail, but I don't exactly need support.

From lots of googling on the matter most are saying that it's similar to XP OEMs. Only 1 activiation on that hardware with OEM, whereas retail can be transfered.

Definitely will be falling out of the leniency as I am planning on buying 2 new computers later this year, maybe 2008 so OEM won't go on them.

$259 is probaby the price of an upgrade from XP.

Oh... Phew, ok, I'm not completely nuts. That does look like where I got that price from. And that would apply to me, since I'm a legal XP user, which is why it probably stuck in my head.

Next question is, can an XP OEM from a Dell quality for a Vista Ultimate Upgrade retail? If I could get an ultimate retail via that family offer, it might be worth it.

Yeah MSRP is $399 on Ultimate. Sure you get support etc with Retail, but I don't exactly need support.

From lots of googling on the matter most are saying that it's similar to XP OEMs. Only 1 activiation on that hardware with OEM, whereas retail can be transfered.

Definitely will be falling out of the leniency as I am planning on buying 2 new computers later this year, maybe 2008 so OEM won't go on them.

i'm also pretty sure OEM are limited to either 32/64 bit, where as retail should come with both. I'm still waiting on someone to do a nice review of each of the editions to clarify this though. I'm hearing only Ultimate comes with both 32 and 64 while the other versions are tied to one or the other. I dont know what the hell Microsoft is doing, as if it could get any more confusing. Technically OEMs werent suppose to be sold alone, that was the entire point to making them as strict as they are. If you need to reinstall the OS you have to contact Dell for a new key for example, where as if you bought a standalone OEM version from Newegg and had to reinstall they'd tell you to get lost. Doesnt make the savings seem so good anymore does it? ;) I see alot of poor bastards who dont know what they've bought writing reviews on Newegg. They dont understand that the activations are limited on the OEMs. Sucks for them.

A little bit of good news is that they'll allow you to download all versions of the OS off the windows market place on the first of Feb and burn them to DVDs. Its for people who hate to wait. After the cost of the actual DVD it comes out to more compared to if you just spent 5 minutes looking for the cheapest price of the version you want on froogle or something.

Last edited by a moderator:

I just replaced every part on my computer except the case, DVD-ROM drive and Floppy, and reinstalling XP-OEM with the same key didn't require calling MS.

I just replaced every part on my computer except the case, DVD-ROM drive and Floppy, and reinstalling XP-OEM with the same key didn't require calling MS.
There is a laddered timer in WPA that decreases the stringency of the reactivation routine over time in XP. Try a few more changes tomorrow, you pirate you... :p

There is a laddered timer in WPA that decreases the stringency of the reactivation routine over time in XP. Try a few more changes tomorrow, you pirate you... :p

I also replaced every part of my computer except the Optical Drive and floppy drive back in 2005. I did have to call Microsoft but I had no trouble with the phone activation. :)

I've heard a line on Microsoft forums that "upgrading an OEM product will upgrade the OEM license to a retail license". I am not sure which exact Windows version (or which exact MS product) it applies to.

For that matter, if OEM versions are available cheap (without any serious caveats), then I will purchase an OEM version.

I understand the LETTER of the law is the oem license does not allow transfers and all that. My basic question is, I get the feeling MS never ENFORCED it with OEM XP. Basically people seem to say if you need to re-activate "just call microsoft". Probably the policy was, to just let people slide I assume. I dont recall anybody saying in a forum "yeah I called ms and they said I couldn't reactivate because I'm using an OEM copy!!". This also likely explains all the reviews at Newegg someone above mentioned. You probably never get reviews saying "I got burned because this is only an OEM license!!!" presumably because it never (more or less) happens!

So that's what I'm wondering. If MS never enforces the non-transfer OEM license rule, even though we can all clearly agree it is in the OEM rules, then I could save a lot of money by going OEM as well.

Otherwise it looks like 239 for the retail for me, which is a nasty chunk of change.

that's interesting. The OEM vs retail separation brings additional money to MS anyway (inflated prices of retail versions), from well-off people that buy a retail version to be safe, or because they think they're supposed to (that's what says the license, right)

the OEM license doesn't actually have to be enforced. if it were the negative consequences would probably severly outweigh the positive (well, for MS) ones. turning $99, $149 or whatever (I don't know the price but that's a lot for most people) copies of software into coasters would cause massive outrage, MS would be sued in various countries, and could be prohibited from selling OEM versions I guess. (maybe not in the US, home of the free corporations, but there are a lot of countries outside US).

so it might be best to get OEM license and reactivate when you upgrade or replace hardware. you're a fool if you think you should feel guilty of gasp, using the OS you paid for without paying additional $$$.
there isn't even (for a same OS version) an OEM to retail license upgrade, right?
and have OEM license been tested in court?

that's interesting. The OEM vs retail separation brings additional money to MS anyway (inflated prices of retail versions), from well-off people that buy a retail version to be safe, or because they think they're supposed to (that's what says the license, right)

the OEM license doesn't actually have to be enforced. if it were the negative consequences would probably severly outweigh the positive (well, for MS) ones. turning $99, $149 or whatever (I don't know the price but that's a lot for most people) copies of software into coasters would cause massive outrage, MS would be sued in various countries, and could be prohibited from selling OEM versions I guess. (maybe not in the US, home of the free corporations, but there are a lot of countries outside US).

so it might be best to get OEM license and reactivate when you upgrade or replace hardware. you're a fool if you think you should feel guilty of gasp, using the OS you paid for without paying additional $$$.
there isn't even (for a same OS version) an OEM to retail license upgrade, right?
and have OEM license been tested in court?

In my opinion it wouldnt be microsofts fault. Technically the retailers shouldnt be offering OEM versions at all, and thats what Microsoft wanted to happen by making the license so strict on OEM versions. Like i said, if you have a problem with the activation, namely that it says its already been used up, with an OEM version you're out of luck. They want you to go through the OEM builder (Dell, HP, etc..) who is authorized to give another key, Microsoft wont.

I've got some serious decision making to do over the next year or so regarding how I'm going to be using my next PC. With the retail price of Vista so high, and the OEM not being interesting because of activation limits, I may decide to go the Mac route. If I'm going to be paying a high premium for my computer, I'd rather have a Mac. I just need to decide if I want to continue with PC gaming.

Anyone know the deal about 32/64 bits and the Home Retail version? The retail DVD contain both? I'm planning on getting Home Retail (basic or premium, dont know the differences yet) for my lowly 32-bit PC, but would obviously like to reinstall it once I go 64 bit.

Anyone know the deal about 32/64 bits and the Home Retail version? The retail DVD contain both? I'm planning on getting Home Retail (basic or premium, dont know the differences yet) for my lowly 32-bit PC, but would obviously like to reinstall it once I go 64 bit.

Highly suggest you get at least Home Premium. Home Basic is a really cruddy deal as many of the nice features are just completely gone from it. So yeah, certainly go with Home Premium. Maybe Ultimate for the long run.

I've got some serious decision making to do over the next year or so regarding how I'm going to be using my next PC. With the retail price of Vista so high, and the OEM not being interesting because of activation limits, I may decide to go the Mac route. If I'm going to be paying a high premium for my computer, I'd rather have a Mac. I just need to decide if I want to continue with PC gaming.

Factor in though, that you only pay for Windows once over 5+ years. As I understand it, Apple comes out with "new" $129 OS's several times in that same span.

Went with Home Premium, installed last night.

Had a bit of a problem with SATA on my Nforce2 motherboard. The SATA controller appears to be on a separate chip (I am a bit confused here, since I thought SATA was integrated in the Nforce chipset, an that the separate chip only handeled raid, which I dont use). Anyway, the SATA chip wasn't detected by the Vista installer, so I had no drive to install Vista on! Had to boot up from an old HD with Xp and go from there.

The DVD only had the 32-bit version (Swedish version, perhaps the English version comes with both). In the box there were instructions on how to get the 64-bit version from MS on a DVD, and how to get Vista on CDs. * Edit: It said there was a time restriction on ordering the 64-bit version. No specified time-limit though, so I'm not sure what it means. I'll contact MS ASAP to make sure I dont miss out on the 64-bit version.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back