Vista beta - poor desktop rendering perf at high res

Hi ho

Anyone else noticed that Vista runs crappy when you set your desktop res above, say, 1,280 x 1,024. I've installed the last two MSDN releases on two completely different rigs (one Intel based and one AMD based). I've tried loads of different video boards. But always the same problem - intermittently sluggish rendering of the Vista desktop with the full aero jazz enabled. I've been having this problem when running at 1,920 x 1,200. Tbh, the rendering is jerky and stuttery about 90 per cent of the time. But occasionally you get a few moments of smooth window movement or video rendering. As soon as you reduce the res to 1,280 x 1,024 the problem disappears entirely. I'd love to run Vista as my main OS for a while, but this issue makes that impossible. Anyone had experience of this or know a fix?

What video cards have you been using?

The jump between 1280x1024 and 1920x1200 is quite significant ;)

Performance in general hasn't been amazing yet. But it's still in development ;)

It seems to be a combination of the OS itself not being aggressively optimized as well as the IHV's not having final/optimzed drivers yet.

The fix will be a case of waiting...

If you can, drop a bug report in via the beta program - can't hurt to let them know things aren't running smoothly.

Jack

Umm, I've tried a variety of cards, cant remember which, but all stuff that's support by the repsective IHV vista driver, eg radeon x850, x800 and gf 7800 and 6800 cards. I tried about four or five different cards, and the problem was entirely consistent throughout which makes me think its an OS problem rather than a driver problem.

I hear a lot of debugging stuff is running in the background. And the agonizing install time will be cut once everything is final. (Maybe April CTP?)

I installed it on my laptop, a 1.3Ghz pentium-m with a 855g graphics chip, so forget about aero. It runs quite well, once you have logged in, faster than xp in fact. But the time it takes to load is atrocious.

Back