Virtua Fighter vs. Tekken?

Believe it or not, the Tekken 5: Dark Ressurection director Haruki Suzaki said something about... making such a game with AM2 if there is enough demand...

IGN said:
IGN: On a totally unrelated note, SEGA's Katsuhiro Harada and yourself acknowledged several years ago that a "Tekken vs. Virtua Fighter" game was something you'd like to do one day. What are the chances of us ever seeing that?

Suzaki: I had the opportunity to speak with the director of Virtual Fighter on many occasions in the past and actually talk of collaboration came up again recently. Being from the same industry, this is something we definitely would like to try at least once. Looking at it from another perspective, we began to realize that it would actually be more difficult to make this happen than we first thought. More than anything, we believe this decision greatly lies in our fans. So, we would actually like to ask for our fans' opinion on this.

[EDITOR'S NOTE: What a great idea! Send your requests for a Tekken vs. Virtua Fighter game to this address. We'll pass them to on to Namco and SEGA immediately.]

The full interview is here.

That would be awesome, but I dunno how well it would work. Might be pretty unbalanced.
I can always dream though.

I d love to see this happening :D

There was an effort by a few home programming developers already. A bad one too. I have a genesis Virtua Fighter vs Tekken Rom somewhere and I ve actually seen this being sold in a cardridge as well

I don't think it would work, they both have completely different control systems.

Maybe Namco could spend some time applying the tekken control system to the VF fighters and moves and Sega do the same with the Tekken characters with an option when you start the game to choose which system you want to use.

If it does happen, I hope Namco do the engine for the game as they always look considerable better than VF games in my opinion.

I've never been to big of a fan of fighting games but this sounds cool through nearly impossible. The game systems are completely different. The controls, the fighter balance, moves...etc. It could be done if VF is dumbed down (isn't the ratio of moves like 5-1 VF).

p.s. I like the crossing of universes in gaming. The last fighting game a had a ton of fun with was Marvel V. Capcom 2.

p.s. I like the crossing of universes in gaming. The last fighting game a had a ton of fun with was Marvel V. Capcom 2.

or SNK vs Capcom! That was a mix! An odd one would have been SF vs MK.:LOL:

Honestly I'm not too interested in seeing this though. Too different and would seem to be very one-sided as others have said.

I don't think it would work, they both have completely different control systems.

Maybe Namco could spend some time applying the tekken control system to the VF fighters and moves and Sega do the same with the Tekken characters with an option when you start the game to choose which system you want to use.
I think the controls from both sides don't need to be changed. At all. All they need to do is tweak the juggling and throw systems.

If it does happen, I hope Namco do the engine for the game as they always look considerable better than VF games in my opinion.
VF5's flash was a big step up, so if they leave VF attack properties and tekken properties as they are, it'll be all good.

I've never been to big of a fan of fighting games but this sounds cool through nearly impossible. The game systems are completely different. The controls, the fighter balance, moves...etc. It could be done if VF is dumbed down (isn't the ratio of moves like 5-1 VF).
I thinkit could be done if Tekken was toned up. To VF's level of depth.

I think the controls from both sides don't need to be changed. At all. All they need to do is tweak the juggling and throw systems.

VF5's flash was a big step up, so if they leave VF attack properties and tekken properties as they are, it'll be all good.

I thinkit could be done if Tekken was toned up. To VF's level of depth.

Mentioning that VF should be dumbed down was purposeful on my part because I presume (and anyone correct me if I'm wrong) that it would be easier to bring VF down than tweak Tekken to make it more complex. When I imagine that two franchises in the same genre (3d fight) are to be combined I see that they will retain the stages and players and "map" the moves to a compromised set of controls that doesn't give one team favor. In this case they would settle in between say, VF's contols and Tek. VF has less action buttons but much more moves (button combinations). I'm curious about what a Dev (anyone) would do in this situation regarding the balance of two distinct fighters in the same genre.

I find these concepts utterly ridiculous. Who cares if you have both sides of characters represented in one game? I mean, once you put the two together, you're going to have to tweak it to the point where the qualities of any of the fighters disappears. VF is wholly different from Tekken. If you dumb it down, you no longer have VF vs Tekken, you have VF characters in Tekken. Big whoop, you get to see 3d objects that look like your favourite fighters from another game but control nothing like you want them to.

Bad idea. I thought the idea of Capcom vs SNK was terrible too. I was right.

Mentioning that VF should be dumbed down was purposeful on my part because I presume (and anyone correct me if I'm wrong) that it would be easier to bring VF down than tweak Tekken to make it more complex.
Dumbing down the engine would gain complaints from both Tekken and VF fans.

Dumbing down the engine would gain complaints from both Tekken and VF fans.

Oh of course it would. It would be wonderful for fans of the genre to see both franchises in all of there glory and respective complexities to meld for a mega game. I'm just guessing (I'm no expert) that difficulties would arise from compromising either game and I feel that it is a near certainty that one game's engine may have to be tweeked for worse.

Perhaps they can do something similar to fighter's megamix. They had a Fighting Vibers mode and a Virtua Fighter mode.

FV mode offered the Fighting Viber mechanics to fighters and removed the VF mechanics
VF mode offered the Virtua Fighter mechanics to characters and removed the FV mechanics

Simply have them take input as per their native system. It doesn't really matter if you have two punch buttons or one as long as you punch. The tricky part would be balancing the two games against each other.

There's been many of these cross over fighting games. Their alot of fun but almost never fit for competition. That's fine by me, though.

Megamix was a perfect example of a "just ofr kicks" fighting game. Capcom All-Stars.... not so much.

Perhaps they can do something similar to fighter's megamix. They had a Fighting Vibers mode and a Virtua Fighter mode.

FV mode offered the Fighting Viber mechanics to fighters and removed the VF mechanics
VF mode offered the Virtua Fighter mechanics to characters and removed the FV mechanics

There is nothing Virtua Fighter in the mechanic of the Megamix's VF mode. Characters weren't able to fall face down, and alot of other things are missing. It was a terrible game. But that's probably due to Saturn hardware.

If they want to do VF Vs Tekken, they need to adapt the Tekken characters into VF engine, that mean the character need at least a Guard button. If not all the Tekken characters will get whoop. They might as well add new characters to VF franchise. But really they should start a new franchise IMO. VF is up to its fifth iteration, its getting old.

Tekken engine is more similar to the later DOA iteration. DoA Vs Tekken would be a better match IMO.

There is nothing Virtua Fighter in the mechanic of the Megamix's VF mode. Characters weren't able to fall face down, and alot of other things are missing. It was a terrible game. But that's probably due to Saturn hardware.

Its been a long time since I playied VF2 and VF3 but are you sure there was nothing VF in the mechanic of the Megamix VF mode compared to VF2 atleast? I cant remember if in VF2 characters could fall face down

What i remember is that the game was slower paced compared to VF2 and some moves when blocked stunned for a few fractions of a sec the attacker just like in VF3. It was a bad execution I think in an effort to bring VF3's mechanics to the Saturn

Anyways I think this is irrelevant though as I am sure they can make prober VF and Tekken modes in a VF vs T title. Perhaps in VF mode they will force Tekken characters to use a guard button and in Tekken mode give the VF characters the ability to block withouht necessarillly using a guard button

Back