Virtua Fighter 5 graphics article (Watch Impress)

Quick Summary :

- Graphic's API is now OpenGL
- VF5 has roughly 3 time's the poly count of VF4
- Shadow map resolution is 1,024 1,024
- HDR precision is FP16 with tone mapping

Other stuff's to technical to understand for me :( and there's hardly any talk about PS3/RSX )

This Zenji Nishikawa article is about the LINDBERGH version of VF5, so not necessarily applicable to the PS3 version. But my very rough translation here anyway... basically VTF everywhere.

+ rendered in 1280x768 @ 60fps (the arcade panel is 1366x768 so there are black bars)

+ The development had begun before NVIDIA provided OpenGL perf analyzer, so they developed an in-house tool to maintain 60fps. (vertex in the picture includes that of self-shadow) The bottleneck was not in the AGP bus but in the pixel load.

+ OpenGL2.0 w/ ARB assembler for shader programming. NVIDIA extensions are employed too. (Not all LINDBERGH games are like this, HOD4 is GLSL, VT3 is Cg. So they apparently had some difficulties to transfer VF5's shader code to PS3, but in the case of VT3 it was easier)

+ 1 character = 40K polys, background = 100K - 300K (VF4: 12K and 50K)

+ Basic shadow is done by depth shadow (1024x1024 map) with a screen-coordinate-based mask for anti-aliasing against shadows, though this method can't hide shadow aliasing in up-close shots. NVIDIA shadow (Hardware Percentage Closer Filter) is employed. Adaptive multisampling is a bit too expensive to maintain 60fps because of load fluctuation. VF4 was stencil shadow volume.

+ Shadows on the ground are silhouette projective texture mapping. Far backgrounds have prebaked shadows. Some close backgrounds such as columns in buildings have real shadows generated with depth shadow.

+ Skin, hair, clothes are made with diffuse, specular, and normal maps. Some parts such as Akira's wear has special shaders. Pai's dress is normal mapped with an environmental map mask with diffuse and specular adjusted.

+ Skin has no special shaders such as SSS. Like other parts it is made by adjusting parameters in basic shaders. Female characters have special lighting to reduce shadows.

+ The backlight expression is simple blending of the edge color and the light color when the light comes out of edges. Some irregular cases are corrected by adjusting parameters.

+ There are 4 versions of Dural and 2 among them have special shaders. The one has diffraction simulation by vertex shaders to procedurally generate the rainbow coloring. The other is the refraction version of the first one.

+ VTF (Vertex Texture Fetching) in the NVIDIA GPU is used very widely for VF5. Apparently this function is essential for VF5 since it's very preferable that GPU can do all basic geometry.

+ For water wave simulation, VS reads a FP32 texture height map by VTF, then does displacement mapping to transform vertices on the water. With this FP32 wave height map converted into a normal map, PS does shadow processing. Muddy water is drawn by PS using velocity/power information in FP32 wave height map. Thanks to VTF, VS can detect the collision of water splashes and it's used to generate ripples when each water splash hits the water.

+ The snowfield also uses VTF. Shadows in the snow show pseudo-subsurface-scattering by the texture-space blur.

+ Fog is also produced by VTF. Fog density is represented by a FP32 texture. So fog reacts to characters' movement.

+ The render target buffer is FP16-64. Textures in environmental maps and reflection maps are in the ARGB integer format + luminance information packed in alpha when required. Apparently FP16-64 texture fetch is slow because of filtering and not suitable for 60fps right now.

+ VTF appears in the tone mapping process too. Making an HDR frame into a 1x1 pixel texture, VS reads it by VTF and the vertex pipeline calculates average luminance.

+ An in-house engine does physics simulation. It only processes local collision such as hair and clothes. Character-to-character collision is not suitable for simulation because of the nature of the VF franchise. (VF3 did Inverse Kinematics but it was removed in VF4)

So basically, this game barely needs Cell then... I wouldn't be surprised if it could run without touching a single SPE?

So basically, this game barely needs Cell then... I wouldn't be surprised if it could run without touching a single SPE?
AFAIK guys at SEGA said PPE was so weak compared to Pentium 4 that they had had some difficulties initially, but after they could get a grip on SPE things got smoother.

+ VTF appears in the tone mapping process too. Making an HDR frame into a 1x1 pixel texture, VS reads it by VTF and the vertex pipeline calculates average luminance.

At first I scratched my head on that one, but it's actually quite smart :)

Relatively good general purpose performance can be the CPU's most important job in many games, so a Pentium 4 could've easily been more powerful than CELL for Virtua Fighter 5.

The 3x polygon count comparison was to the NAOMI2 versions of Virtua Fighter 4. That makes it a six times boost over the PS2 versions.

This Zenji Nishikawa article is about the LINDBERGH version of VF5, so not necessarily applicable to the PS3 version. But my very rough translation here anyway... basically VTF everywhere.

Does the article say anything about the power of the lindbergh board? How it compares to Xbox360 or Ps2? Are the specs the same as the ones released earlier this year?

wow. This game looks unreal- crazy thing is i dont think there using any AA and it doesnt look jaggie at all. my question is this article just for the arcade or for PS3 also?

I'm impressed by their attention to detail. I especially like the screens that show the ribbon lying flat on the ground on the dry stage, and floating on the surface of the water on the flooded one.

AFAIK guys at SEGA said PPE was so weak compared to Pentium 4 that they had had some difficulties initially, but after they could get a grip on SPE things got smoother.

Oh yeah, reading about all these things they did on the GPU, I forgot all about the CPU work ... :LOL:

Relatively good general purpose performance can be the CPU's most important job in many games, so a Pentium 4 could've easily been more powerful than CELL for Virtua Fighter 5.[/quite]

I'd have bought that if you'd said "Cell's PPE". ;)

Oh yeah, reading about all these things they did on the GPU, I forgot all about the CPU work ... :LOL:

Relatively good general purpose performance can be the CPU's most important job in many games, so a Pentium 4 could've easily been more powerful than CELL for Virtua Fighter 5.[/quite]

I'd have bought that if you'd said "Cell's PPE". ;)

No he's correct. Unless you do serious multi-threading (and I seriously doubt they are on this quick port) Cell and Xbox 360 main general purpose CPU's are well known to be weak.

I'm betting VF5 basically runs on the PPE alone (or whatever it's called) the same as first gen Xbox360 games likely run on a single core.

And I'm further guessing, the those cores are about equal to a celeron 1.4 ghz. This is based on the original Anand article where certain anonymous devs stated that Xbox360 CPU was only about twice as powerful as the Xbox one CPU. Now assuming (and I sure hope so) they were referring to a single core, that makes each core ~celeron 1.4.

Now you can make it sound a lot better by calling it a Pentium 3, because Xbox one CPU was the cache of a celeron but the FSB of a P3, so you could call it whatever you liked either a celeron or P3 (technically it was a mobile celeron by actual model #). And if you think about it, a 1.4 P3 is probably like a 2.0 P4, and three P4 2.0's doesn't sound that bad, but I vastly digress.
________
LIVE SEX

Last edited by a moderator:
Back