video player without installing it

Anonymous

Veteran
Anyone know of a video player that will play avi without installing it? I d/l tv programs and like to view them at work but IT has the computers locked up pretty tight as well they should so there is no way to install any codecs.

Running XP pro, don't know if or any sp is installed.

I'm using "winmpg" to convert avi to mpeg but it takes forever. Too impatient. Would just like to be able to throw a couple shows on my thumb drive and go.

Thanks for any help.

T2k said:
Mplayer. Plays everything.

Is it just my setup or does MPC actually have an 'uglier' picture compared to other video players. Try to compare it to Windows Media Player and confirm or deny this plz.

gfhr- said:
T2k said:
Mplayer. Plays everything.

Is it just my setup or does MPC actually have an 'uglier' picture compared to other video players. Try to compare it to Windows Media Player and confirm or deny this plz.

MPC wouldn't be at fault, the codec would. Check in the menu (Play->Filters) to see if you can't tweak the quality a little.

I'm using ffdshow, but in other players I've tested it looks ok. It seems as if in MPC the video has less saturation or something (less vivid colors) and I don't have any filters in MPC enabled.

gfhr- said:
I'm using ffdshow, but in other players I've tested it looks ok. It seems as if in MPC the video has less saturation or something (less vivid colors) and I don't have any filters in MPC enabled.
Filters is just another word for codecs (XVID, MP3 etc.), this gives you access to it's settings. Other players may select another codec than MPC, I don't know. You could always try installing a codec pack like K-Lite Codeck Pack, or see if there's an update available for ffdshow.

Heh, seems like there was some misreading on my side. I read you were using Media Player Classic, though now I see you meant MPlayer.

Back