video card or display problem?

malcolm

Newcomer
i have litle waves going all over the screen now
actualy right now it is normal again, they come and go
id like to know if this is something on my videocard or is my display broken?
i hope its the video card...
now they are back btw

It's possible something is interfering with you monitor. Make sure no speakers are next to it.

nothing has changed on my desk...
and like i said it comes and goes, it just was good for almost an hour and now its back pretty bad again.
its like a pixelsized zigzag moving slowly down the screen, so text has litle waves going trough it.
i think all crt's might have it very minimal, i used to notice it from very close to the screen, that the pixels arent solid but have a litle noise in it, it seems like it is something similar but much bigger, i can see it from a meter away.

i tought maybe it was something known that happens a lot thats why i asked ...
it seems to be better again now
maybe it goes away over time again... i realy dont want to have to buy new stuff, i was planning on keeping this for another 4 years

do computers usualy last that long? this one is 3 years old so far...

it seems to be because of high refresh rate
i normaly use 1280*960 85hz and now when i put it to 100hz everything on the screen just moves left right 1 pixel all the time at about 5-10hz
i think this can only be because of the ramdac or the screen?
probably the screen seems to me.... its only 3years old i think
iiyama pro 450

anything up to 800*600 100hz is perfect
1024 is very bad even at 75hz, i think its actualy worse at 75 than at 100hz there, the whole screen is vibrating and has pixel noise
actualy now it even started at 800*600, im gonna have to switch to 640*480

Devices containing electric motors can send disruptions back to the mains, in turn causing wave-like effects on computer screens nearby. Maybe somebody in your building is using a vacuum cleaner or an air humidifier.

would that explanation still work with the knowledge that at 640*480 at 100hz it is always perfectly stable?
seems weird the interference would only affect it at high frequencies.

What card is it?
If it is a Radeon 9700 then this is a well known issue, basically you are getting noise from the power supply on your display signal.
Plug your monitor into the DVI socket using the adapter, this seems to cure the problem.

CC

I assume you have only one screen. Yet, in case you don't, CRTs close together usually interfere with each other the way you describe.

Multiple CRTs in close promximity usually display a moving artifact, a horizontal line moving up or down, as the EMI from different scan rates interacts with each screen. Even if you have both monitors at the same refresh rate, since they aren't perfectly synchronized, one VSYNC will always restart a frame at a different time than the other CRT.

Back