VIA Accuqire STMicro

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by Rookie, Mar 14, 2002.

1. Rookie

Newcomer

According the source of Taiwan newspaper,VIA will held a news conference and announce to accuqire STMicro Grahpics divison At CeBIT,Time shouble be local time 14.March...

2. fremin

Newcomer

It would be great if they did but I have a feeling that they would hold off if they did till they had more time for a revised roadmap/product line and marketing strategy. IDK, it be great if they did.

For all we know, can't they buy this technology and just incorporate it into a integrated chip and forego the retail sector all together? That would be pretty bad for PVR enthusiasts.

3. Ailuros

Ailuros Epsilon plus three
    Legend Subscriber

VIA has already announced that it intends to enter the desktop graphics market.

By the way I can't see anything on the cebit press broadcasting pages about via for the 14th......

4. EvilTwin

Newcomer

Looks to me like with all the graphics makers entering chipsets , it just makes sense for all the chipset makers to enter graphics . I think things are going to get very interesting very soon .

5. Rookie

Newcomer

hmm,:( no VIA/Kyro deal... according to the same source,they reported that VIA/STMicro currently coperation only limited on mutully surrogate.
    VIA's Processor/Chipset cope with STMicro's gfx chip to occupy more desktop platform market.VIA dely that they will accuqire or license
    STMicro tech.The S3 division will continue target mobile grahpics chip...

Maybe the timeframe is not mature?

6. ram

ram
    Newcomer

http://www.digitimes.com/NewsShow/Article.asp?datePublish=2002/03/15&pages=04&seq=24