VF5 - Official for 360. And Xbox Live??

i remember dev saying (i think it was at eurogamer) that online won't be coming because every frame matters to hardcore gamers. which i think is a stupid excuse because most people are fine with that.

i remember dev saying (i think it was at eurogamer) that online won't be coming because every frame matters to hardcore gamers. which i think is a stupid excuse because most people are fine with that.

The Sega VF devs have always said this. I don't necessarily agree with it but it has been their stance for some time. If there is online for the 360 version than they are going against their own stated stance. So I doubt it.:cool:

The Sega VF devs have always said this. I don't necessarily agree with it but it has been their stance for some time. If there is online for the 360 version than they are going against their own stated stance. So I doubt it.:cool:

No Shot. VF5 will be Live capable.

I guess it depends on the development team, look at Virtua Tennis:

"Oh, online no we're not doing that it compromises the game" (no online on PS3)

"Oh, yeah there's online" (online on 360)

Reason: 360 version was out-sourced and the internal Sega team were too cheap to add it themselves... and for a game like Virtua Fighter where timing matters I can see the latencies in network communications posing problems (60ms is quite a lot).

I guess it depends on the development team, look at Virtua Tennis:

"Oh, online no we're not doing that it compromises the game" (no online on PS3)

"Oh, yeah there's online" (online on 360)

Reason: 360 version was out-sourced and the internal Sega team were too cheap to add it themselves... and for a game like Virtua Fighter where timing matters I can see the latencies in network communications posing problems (60ms is quite a lot).

Ooooh. I am aware of the internal dynamic of having different teams for the different platforms, but did not know about the VT3 issue. But for fighting games I have always heard them trumpet the same thing about lag.

Is it only the VF series that has serious issues with latency(if ever it goes online) or do every fighting game fall under that problem aswell?

What I mean to say is, will VF have the worst latency problems (due to their gameplay mechanics) compared to other fighting games?

Gah, lack of a better term :mad: :oops:

Solution: Offer online and the diehard anti-online players can choose to not use the feature. I know people who play Gears of War every day and have NEVER played the SP. I know a lot of games where people play one or the other, or both, depending on their preference. VF5 online may not be perfect, even flawed, but in my book it is better to have it for those who want it than to outright not offer it at all. If it sucks it won't impact the SP experience.

Is it only the VF series that has serious issues with latency(if ever it goes online) or do every fighting game fall under that problem aswell?

It is known that there is lag with all fighting games' online play. I don't know if the VF' mechanics makes lag seem worse but AM2 always claims that they don't want this particular game to be sullied by lag. I think part of it is b.s. and Acert has a simple solution. Implement it and those who don't care about lag will play and those who do won't play it online. Seems obvious but this Dev has been saying this for some time.

Solution: Offer online and the diehard anti-online players can choose to not use the feature. I know people who play Gears of War every day and have NEVER played the SP. I know a lot of games where people play one or the other, or both, depending on their preference. VF5 online may not be perfect, even flawed, but in my book it is better to have it for those who want it than to outright not offer it at all. If it sucks it won't impact the SP experience.

exactly. people should be offered a choice. saying there should be no online because those nerds become frustrated with a frame doesn't mean people who are prepared with lags to be left out with lone player option.

What I mean to say is, will VF have the worst latency problems (due to their gameplay mechanics) compared to other fighting games?

The idea is that VF requires very precise timing and the 50-100+ms latency will ruin the experience. I guess they could spend the time and money adding it, but then very few people will actually play it online after the initial release because the game will play so much worse online.

The same goes with top quality SP games, do they need multiplayer just as a marketing check box? STALKER for example, do we need yet another derivative FPS multiplayer mode for a story based SP game?

exactly. people should be offered a choice. saying there should be no online because those nerds become frustrated with a frame doesn't mean people who are prepared with lags to be left out with lone player option.

People expect a certain level of quality of an AM2 game. Quality trumphs features.

The same goes with top quality SP games, do they need multiplayer just as a marketing check box? STALKER for example, do we need yet another derivative FPS multiplayer mode for a story based SP game?

We want co-op! :devilish:

People expect a certain level of quality of an AM2 game. Quality trumphs features.

That would be true if the singleplayer mode changed. As long as it was simply an addition though I think it would be fine (make sure people know that it won't be "hardcore" though).

Who is "people". Personally, I couldn't give a fluck about frame-accurate performance online. I would much rather have the option of being able to play online with slightly less-accurate timing, than pay $60 for a single-player only game. I think many people would like that. Don't make generalizations about the population as a whole tuna.

I as well would like to see the game go online. I have the PS3 version and while being a very good title I simply dont have the will to repeatedly play the cpu. Of course online would take some game balancing as it does with all fighters but that is hardly a reason not to include it. I expect online to come about when Sega milks the franchise with VF5 Extreme (or whatever). There is no reason why the single player need to augmented to incorporate online play.

Online fighting games sucked for XBox Live especially the 2D ones. SF:AC, Capcom Vs. SNK 2, KOF02, etc., because lags is inexcusable. Fighting games requires and demands precise hit detection and stringing combos in rhythm. Lags kills that and makes it possible for scrubs to draw a win. For a game like VF5 that's even more frame dependent it's impossible to play properly as long as cable and dsl exist.

Btw, I tend to have a serious problem with media reviews dissing fighting games because they don't support online. Out of all the fighting games I've tried online, a majority of them suck. Some ran decently. Whether a fighting game is online of not should not be factor into the overall score. That's my belief.

Back