Velocity Architecture - more than 100GB available for game assets

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by invictis, Apr 22, 2020.

1. mr magoo

Newcomer

Looking at the specs
    https://microsoft.github.io/DirectX-Specs/d3d/SamplerFeedback.html
    it seems to me that SFS can be implemented on any SF capable gpu. And it seems i was wrong on DS as being required. Looking at the youtube presentation video xva helps with streaming and compression when using with SFS, there was a comment in the chat:
    "SFS results in approx 2.5x the effective IO throughtput (SSD perf) and memory usage above and beyond hardware capabilities on average.
    In other words, it gives a speed boost till 6GB/s (raw) / 12GB/s (compressed) on Series X."

#481 mr magoo, Apr 28, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
  2. invictis

Newcomer

Microsofts patent for SFS.
    https://patents.google.com/patent/US10388058B2/en

3. dobwal

Legend Veteran

DirectX allows for SFS and streaming SFS, the Series X/S employs a custom filter that isn't available with the PC version of DX.

https://microsoft.github.io/DirectX-Specs/d3d/SamplerFeedback.html

4. iceberg187

Regular

Perhaps this has been discussed before but it looks like the roadmap for games that utilize this will definitely mean that games will need to run on SSD and current options of using external HDDs will only be for cold storage or am I off-base here.

5. t0mb3rt

Newcomer

We've known that games that make use of Velocity Architecture will only run on the built in SSD or the little SSD add on thingy for over a year now.

6. iceberg187

Regular

I figured I was stating the obvious. I just wonder how this will be conveyed to the consumer, if at all.

7. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

It's already been conveyed to the user via multiple direct statements for the past year and is called out in the dashboard when installing the games.