Vanguard: Saga of Heroes open beta

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by nutball, Jan 5, 2007.

1. Ty

Ty Roberta E. Lee
    Veteran

Laugh....they're going to add teleportation.

This is a complete 180 to their vision. Now they're only 4 years behind the curve in terms of design.

2. Crusher

Crusher Aptitudinal Constituent
    Regular

They're thinking about adding teleportation, they haven't decided yet. Actually teleportation has been in the game since lauch, because the boats between continents aren't working :) They also recently added some boats (teleports) between three key areas on Qalia. I was actually a bit surprised when I realized my sorcerer wasn't going to get any ports, but that's fine with me.

I'm up to 7 days /played time total ... 1 day on the druid (14), 1 day on the warrior (14), and 5 days on the sorcerer (22). Pretty fun so far. I did buy a new system with a 640MB 8800 GTS after trying to play it on a 6600GT, but I was due for an upgrade anyway.

3. cthellis42

cthellis42 Hoopy Frood
    Legend

They may backtrack when the get the other systems in there properly, but if they have teleporters in there too long, it'll probably cause too much backlash to remove it if it's around too much longer. Shoreline skiffs are DAMN fast, though, so I'm not sure how much of an issue it would cause as long as they get something in well.

They've certainly put the pressure on to have to deliver something unique with it, though, rather than just "here are some boats that don't bug out for you to have to ride now, instead."

4. Nul1

Newcomer

I'm actually interested in Vanguard. It'd be nice to get a hold of a 10 day key... please? :grin:

I came so close to purchasing the game, but in the end, I think I made the right decision. I'm LOOKING for a trial of Vanguard before I purchase, any help would be appreciated.

5. ChrisRay

ChrisRay <span style="color: rgb(124, 197, 0)">R.I.P. 1983-
    Veteran

6. nutball

Veteran Subscriber

Man, is it me or was that post a whole pile of waffle and no substance? "We stuffed up, people are playing other games because they can't be bothered with ours. But maybe if we fiddle about aimlessly for a bit then when they get bored with those games they'll come play ours?". So much for Brad's vision.

7. PatrickL

Veteran

Well, if you have read what we said in beta, it is not a surprise :)

8. ChrisRay

Veteran

It seems to me the MMORPG market evolved. But vanguard didnt really do much evolution with it. But the performance is pretty bad. My computer stutters every time I take turns. And even with the most tweaking I can barely get the game to be what I'd call acceptable performance. The thing is. The quality of the game ((IE just normal map everything)) doesnt really justify the performance hit..

9. epicstruggle

epicstruggle Passenger on Serenity
    Veteran

I had really hoped that you and Ty were wrong about Vanguard. I had never been this disappointed with a game in my life. If Conan, lets me down, Im just giving up on the genre.

epic

10. ChrisRay

Veteran

hey! I said it sucked too! Wheres my credit! ;)

11. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

My wife and I are actually really enjoying it :grin:

12. Ty

Ty Roberta E. Lee
    Veteran

It seemed to be somewhat pointless and definitely rambling. What's the reason for talking about what will happen to the staff? This topic does NOT belong in the public and is INCREDIBLY disheartening for the team. If only you knew the real #s.....

Heh, people are finally catching onto this.

Bah, I think I had to tell you that it was going to suck. Weren't you a fanboy of Brad's? ;)

It's understandable, you wanted to believe. I had no vested interest in seeing them fail - I only had decent knowledge of their team and basically knew what they were and weren't capable of.

Bah!

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=750254&postcount=787

13. nutball

Veteran Subscriber

Hehe, yeah I think so (I did). I was going to come back with a smart-arse riposte to PatrickL along the lines of "a lot of people said a lot of stuff in beta", ie. opinions differed, but with hindsight the messages coming out from those in beta in various forums fell into two camps:

- those who said it sucked
    - those who said they still had faith (ie. they thought it sucked but couldn't bring themselves to say it).

Ah well. Fortunately for me I didn't waste any money on it. A week or so playing during open beta was enough for me.

Like epic I'm waiting on Conan, this time I'm going to approach it expecting it to suck :) It'll be the last fantasy MMO I wait for though, if that sucks I'm giving up on the fantasy altogether.

14. L233

Veteran

Oddly enough, I'm still playing 4+ hours a day. I canned my level 30 Bloodmage some weeks ago, my Rogue just turned level 48.

Performance issues aside, I think one of the main problems is that the game becomes virtually unplayable after a certain level unless you have a static group of people to play the game with. If you don't have to waste time looking for group and don't have to keep up with pick-up-group retardation the game is reasonably fun because you can actually get things done.

What I like most about VG are the classes. They managed to create 15 classes that all feel and play sufficiently different from each other and most of them have a slew of interesting abilities. After the retarded class design of EQ2 (even after SOE completely revamped everything) Sigil demonstrated that you can make an archetype system work. Sigil did a good job here.

What's bothering me most right now is the incredibly low quality of the level 40+ content. It already began in the 30s but at 40+, all there's left is grinding faction for weeks to unlock quests that make you grind for weeks to get stuff that you can exchange for equipment. It's boring as hell, tedious and infuriatingly repetitive. It's basically assembly-line content that was designed to keep people busy while requiring as little design effort as possible. It's not working particularly well because it very much creates a barrier for people who don't have a static group. Plus, people are getting tired of the long-winded faction grind in virtually every single content zone.

The game is dying. There are only 4 regular players and 3 very casual players left in my guild of 26. The rest quit. Raids, once they're in, are supposed to take 24 people but I see raid guilds recruiting in excess of 100 players because they very well know that half of them will have quit by the time raid content goes live.

The in-game economy went bust a while ago. There must be some major dupe bugs, otherwise you couldn't explain that chinese gold farmers can sell 100 gold pieces for $3. Right now, 100g is a lot of money. Just to give you an idea how much money that is: I'm almost level 50 and over two month of intensive gaming I made 23g. True, I spend some money on mounts and equipment, so I guess ~50g is achievable leveling from 1-50. And they sell 100g for $3...

The influx of money from RMT combined with rampant price fixing by the few crafters who had enough patience to level a crafter to 50 have driven up prices for ships and houses to ridiculous levels. The economy is so messed up right now that I pretty much stopped participating. That's not a good thing... rarely have I seen such extreme MUDflation in a game so young.

There is just so much wrong with VG right now... performance issues, the oversized, boring and unimmersive world, the lack of quality lore and content, the performance issues, the lack of social hubs, the lack of polish. The game completely fails to give you a sense of purpose and direction.

I'm not really sure that all this is to blame on the game being released prematurely. A lot of it is plainly bad design.

15. PatrickL

Veteran

Hu ? I just joined the beta 2 because I signed up on their forums when they created them, thanks to the safehouse :)

Being an ex EQ player I was obviously interested to see that game but I never was a fan of Brad so called Vision.

Worse when I tried to explain on the beta forums the problem I saw, it was a vanboy heaven and no criticism was allowed. (Remember the Nino incident ?). I stopped to post on the forums around May last year and then checked the beta from time to time. When I saw in december that nothing had moved the way I was hoping I just deleted the beta from my pc and moved on. I made enough beta to know to not buy a game that is not a pleasure by beta 4.

16. ChrisRay

Veteran

You know. I am playing LOTRO and having fun with it. I have "no" idea its long lasting value as I just started. So my only complaint is its post processing effects are incompatible with AA. For every dev that makes their software incompatible with AA. A kitten dies I swear.

Fortunately you can turn it off and get AA to work. But otherwise. its amazingly polished. I dont feel thrown into a storyless world. One of the big problems I have with Vanguard other than its craptastic performance is the story is so hard to find. It's hard for me to care "Why" I am there. Everquest 1 had a similar problem but at the time it was the only MMORPG that existed.

EQ 2 doesnt have this problem "because" its based off EQ 1. And the storytelling and intros for EQ 2 are now extremely well done. Especially for the newbie islands and fae starting grounds. Vanguard just feels loreless. And when you do find the lore it just seems thrown together. :(

17. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Thats very true, Vanguard doesn't seem to have that immersion and lore of other games, sometimes it feels more of a sandbox MMO than a true world with life. The local stories and questlines for each race I am liking, especially the longer linked quests. Some of the great storylines are found in the Diplomacy sphere.

I think Vanguard has a lot of potential given another 6-12 months of work and some cash influx, which I guess SoE is willing to do. Whether they completely trash the idea that is Vanguard in the process is something we will find out.

18. PatrickL

Veteran

In beta I guess we had hundreds thread trying to expain that level 1-10 in a mmorpg are very important to make a player fall in love with the game, and that it was mostly the opposite (I hated LN area with passion). I don't know if the devs did not understand the problem or decided that it was not worth the time to rework that part. For me, I just gave up when instead of working by themselves they came on the beta board and asked the betatesters to give them ideas :)

19. Ty

Ty Roberta E. Lee
    Veteran

Ah, my bad. I just remembered a post BEFORE VG hit beta, wherein you mentioned that people should look out for it (VG) since it was the original dev team behind EQ1.

So I took that as meaning that you had hopes for it.

Same thoughts here. Wonderfully polished for a MMO launch. I'm on Nimrodel. You?

20. ChrisRay

Veteran

I'll have to check. Honestly I havent had much time to enjoy it. I bought it to help people having issues with it on the SLIzone forums. Am I too nice sometimes? :S